6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Hurricane news

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:59 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tim
if you can figer it please advise me . i'm just to darn old? i always used 60 it came out close enough for me guess i'll just start using 61 and throw out my pocket helper and hope to catch whats left of my brain some where before i lose that also.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
ContinentalBreakfast
New User
That's great. Finally an engine that can compete with the Dodge Hemi and the Nissan Endurance. I also hope they hook the engine up to a transmission with more than four speeds; six has a nice ring to it. The arrival of this new engine makes me think; is this the end of the modular engines? I hope not, that would make me sad.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:25 AM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm willing to bet that the F-150 5.4L 3-valve could compete alot better with the Endurance if it had a 5-speed auto aswell. Hell even the 6-speed in the 2005 Navs. Anyone know performance numbers for the 2005 Nav?

Old 01-31-2005, 03:51 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
7.0l and DOHC.

Did it state in the article about the angle of the vee???

If it is 90degrees, that hasn't got a hope of fitting under the bonnet of anything less than an F-650...

I have a 2 inch bonnet bulge on my car just to fit the intake runners on my 5.4l with DOHC...

Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Very important point there Big!

Old 01-31-2005, 10:14 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
A HEMI's not that powerful. That's the point. For the past few years, all we've been hearing about is HEMI this, HEMI that, "that thing got a HEMI", my HEMI's faster than your (insert engine hear), and so on and so on. Once that hit's the market, you know what we're going to hear. "It's bigger, so that's not fair". Or "yeah, but it's got DOHC and 4 valves/cylinder".
Your right, a HEMI is not that powerful, but Ford has nothing close to its power so that would mean the 5.4 is lackluster and the 4.6 is a joke. That aside, this new "Hurricane" is going to be Fords HEMI. You'll see it being marketed the same way, advertised, and to all Ford Fanboy's, it'll be their armor and amo against the competitors just as the HEMI is to Dodge fanboy's. I aso find it completely hilarious that you use the statement "Its bigger, so thats not fair", mustang owners, and Ford owners in general have been using that arguement for AGES! Just take a peak at the mustang vs. camaro thread in this section, its being thrown around everywhere. Its also used against the HEMI. I hope Ford finally makes an engine worth competiting, because so far they have nothing in terms of N/A applications compared to Chevy and Dodge, with Chevy having the upper hand over all of them.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
If Ford comes out with a new engine great but I don't think it will happen at least not for the trucks unless it is a replacement for the V10. And all of that will be because of government regulations.

I'm the first one to say the current 5.4 has no place in any truck larger than the F150. But one thing everyone forgets is this engine is used in the GT. Sure the GT is all aluminum but the dimensions are the same and its DOHC. It would not take much I bet to incorperate the GT heads.

I think it is much more likely that the new engine will be in GR-1 only and the current GT heads and performance parts added to the current 5.4. One thing Ford has never really done in the truck area is compete in the horsepower wars. They have provided a truck that does the job and does it for lot of years.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
tymers- the GT engine is nothing more than the Navigator engine with intake/exhaust tuning done to the heads and intake. Then a supercharger was slapped on it and called a day. The only engine that Ford has produced with respectable numbers in N/A form was the 2001 Cobra R, 5.4 385(maybe 380) HP, but that engine was strung out to the max- performance wise (tuning, porting heads, intake, exhaust, etc) and would not be a good truck engine.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 PM
F-Deuce50
Senior User
My $.02. I think it's going to be a V10. 7.0 DOHC (MODULAR ENGINE) from the 6.8.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:27 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
Your right, a HEMI is not that powerful, but Ford has nothing close to its power so that would mean the 5.4 is lackluster and the 4.6 is a joke. That aside, this new "Hurricane" is going to be Fords HEMI. You'll see it being marketed the same way, advertised, and to all Ford Fanboy's, it'll be their armor and amo against the competitors just as the HEMI is to Dodge fanboy's. I aso find it completely hilarious that you use the statement "Its bigger, so thats not fair", mustang owners, and Ford owners in general have been using that arguement for AGES! Just take a peak at the mustang vs. camaro thread in this section, its being thrown around everywhere. Its also used against the HEMI. I hope Ford finally makes an engine worth competiting, because so far they have nothing in terms of N/A applications compared to Chevy and Dodge, with Chevy having the upper hand over all of them.
It looks like the hemi magic is not working anymore. Fords outselling Dodge and GM pretty badly. When all your truck has got is a hemi and the rest off the truck is no good. People are not being fooled. Stupid Dodge will they ever get it right.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by 150ford
It looks like the hemi magic is not working anymore. Fords outselling Dodge and GM pretty badly. When all your truck has got is a hemi and the rest off the truck is no good. People are not being fooled. Stupid Dodge will they ever get it right.
Here we go again, bashing Dodge. At least if you did own a dodge instead of a Ford, you could park it in our garage, go to bed and get a good night sleep without worrying if your house is going to burn down.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Any small block that is going to make good power is going to rev and I think we will always have a small block option. If Ford wants a small block engine to compete with the Hemi it will rev just like the Hemi. Small blocks in my mind are anything under 6.8 or around 400ci and are gas engines. You can up the size and keep the power band low but the other guy can do the same thing and keep the power band high.

Now before you get all bent out of shape I also don't think the Hemi belongs in any other than a half ton truck. But there are people who need the capabilitys of a 3/4 ton only a few times a year. For these people the small V8 is a viable option. Ford can use the DOHC head, up the compression and get a good improvement on the 5.4 power.

F150 you forgot one engine. The new cammer motor puts out great power for a 5.0.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:28 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
All the recalls in the world wouldn't change his logic. Plus this thread isn't about sales, its about an engine. Dodge is using the HEMI as a marketing tool, just as GM uses Allison tranny's as its marketing tool, just as Ford uses Powerstroke/Triton/Torqueshift as their marketing tool. The only difference is that the HEMI is the first engine in a long time to produce a lot of power and torque in a fairly small liter, small block gas engine. As far as engines go, Ford is behind the rest no matter what way you cut it. Its the reason why I won't buy a new Ford and will keep my 94 F150 w/5.0 and I'll keep modifying it and fixing it until Ford comes out with something competitive-or I'll buy a Chevy or Dodge in 07 (I believe by then a new Chevy truck will be out).

tymers- I agree with you about the 3/4 ton subject and the engines available, but I'd much rather a HEMI as a base engine then the 5.4. I'd take the Chevy 6.0 over both of them though.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Well to be fair it is about sales. Ford sold around 600k F-150's last year. I imagine that most of those had 5.4's. You might not buy it but the F150 by itself out sold all of Dodges trucks combined. It was much more important for Dodge to develop the Hemi than it is for Ford to do anything with its engine. If not for the Cummins, Dodge would of been out of the truck business years ago.

I will say it again, engines have never been the reason Ford out sells the competion. The Cummins is argueably the best desiel out there, Chevys V8's have been some of the most powerful, mod friendly engines out there. But for the last 27 years the F-series has been the best selling pickup and for the last 22 years the best selling vehicle.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by FRECSF
Here we go again, bashing Dodge. At least if you did own a dodge instead of a Ford, you could park it in our garage, go to bed and get a good night sleep without worrying if your house is going to burn down.
LoL.
I almost spilled grapejuice all over my keyboard reading that post. 800,000 trucks is a huge recall. wanna talk about recalls now Ford150? Makes the Dakota Durango ball joint recall look very small.

Back to the matter at hand. This is not a HEMI competitor, not at 7.0L. Plus its only available on the GR-1 which are in limited numbers. Considering this, I just don't see how it compares with the HEMI. A mass production motor thats available throughout most of the Chrysler lineup.

This "Hurricane" is more competition for the 8.3L Viper V10 if you ask me.

I thought the Hurricane was going to be Ford's motor to compete with the 5.7 and 6.1. This doesn't seem like the Hurricane that I remeber hearing about.

As far as sales go, Dodge is happy with Ram sales. They have really done well in the last few years. I think Dodge is happier selling 450+k Rams and making money, than Ford is selling 900+k and losing money. Money is what its all about in the end.
tmyers.
You make a good point there. Ford has never depended on anything specific to get the F-serries to sell. Just loyal costomers, and FLEET. I am willing to bet that almost half of the F-serries trucks were sold through fleet ops last year.

Baiting ….not tolerated here….Thanks
Admin

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 01-31-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Hurricane news