Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 PM
New User

Brian Hurdle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile 95 Ranger: Driveshaft Vibration

I have 95 Ranger XLT SuperCab with 4L V-6, 5 speed manual. I've had it into the shop for vibration issues and have been told that U-joints, differential all OK but the driveshaft carrier bearing is pooched. Up here in Canada they're telling me that the bearing is not available by itself, rather I have to buy whole new drive shaft and bearing. Truck is in good shape and worth spending the money on, but I question the idea of having to buy both and wonder if this sounds reasonable. What would happen if bearing is not replaced? Thanks, Brian.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Posting Guru

el conquistador is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hurdle
I have 95 Ranger XLT SuperCab with 4L V-6, 5 speed manual. I've had it into the shop for vibration issues and have been told that U-joints, differential all OK but the driveshaft carrier bearing is pooched. Up here in Canada they're telling me that the bearing is not available by itself, rather I have to buy whole new drive shaft and bearing. Truck is in good shape and worth spending the money on, but I question the idea of having to buy both and wonder if this sounds reasonable. What would happen if bearing is not replaced? Thanks, Brian.
you can get the bearing itself here in the US. maybe there is some regulation up there.

if you wouldnt have replaced it you would have a heck of a vibration to say the least. i would imagine it could ruin the driveshaft if left alone.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Local auto parts stores stock the bearing here in the States. Mine was making some noise and causing some vibrations but I just opted to replace the entire driveshaft with an one piece aluminium shaft off of a later model truck since my driveshaft was badly rusted and would probably need to be rebalanced anyway. If you go this route be advised that you'll need to slightly raise the body about an inch or two so that the driveshaft won't thump the bottom of the cab. It will install without having to make any changes, but you only have about 1/2" of clearance between the bottom of the cab and the top of the driveshaft since the aluminum ones are probably 3.5-4" in diameter vs. the 3" steel one.

It is possible that the shop is just trying to take you for a ride by replacing the whole shaft, or they may be doing you a favor because the labor for replacing the whole shaft is probably less than having to disassemble the driveshaft to R&R the center bearing. I'd call some of the local parts places and see if they stock it.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM
New User

Brian Hurdle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 95 Ranger: Driveshaft Vibration

Thanks guys, I appreciate quick response. I have requested quote from another shop and we'll see what they say. I'm told that its the same drive train as B4000 Mazda and supposedly you can't buy bearing separate. Maybe replacing whole shaft and bearing with new U-Joints is good idea just rather expensive at a grand before taxes. I wonder why Ford chose 2 piece shaft as opposed to single piece. BH
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Senior User

Donald Rohret is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a '95, extended cab, with a carrier bearing. I also had a vibration and removed the driveshaft and took it to a machine shop, where they replaced the carrier bearing and all the u-joints (3). If you do this, be sure and mark the connection to the rear differential flange and especially the spline connection of the two driveshafts. It's originally balanced as a unit, and if you lose this connection orientation it will vibrate when you replace it. Believe me, I found out the hard way. I think Ford uses two driveshafts because you would otherwise have to raise the rear end to clear parts of the undercarriage. Yes, you can buy the carrier bearing separately, but why not have the u-joints replaced at the same time?

Last edited by Donald Rohret; 01-31-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford used the 2 piece shaft for clearance issues with the bottom of the cab. You'll notice that newer Rangers sit a tad higher on the frame than our mid-90's models; I compared my Dad's 2000 to my 95 and his sits just a tad bit higher.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Freshman User

jdmcivic23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
bad u joint

is this a hard job.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM