Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Honda's truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda's truck

honda is making a truck....3.5 L....please no bottom end grunt just like the rest of the ricers.....they should just stick to what they are good at...rice power in little tuner cars....i'd like to hook one of these honda's up to 2 new 6.0 PSD's and rip it in half

what does everyone else think about the HONDA TRUCK

Honda truck

Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by gui88ford
honda is making a truck....3.5 L....please no bottom end grunt just like the rest of the ricers.....they should just stick to what they are good at...rice power in little tuner cars....i'd like to hook one of these honda's up to 2 new 6.0 PSD's and rip it in half

Honda truck
Well, this topic is already being discussed a few threads down but, I think they will be a success. Personal feelings aside Honda has a good reputation and I can't recall many failures on their part. Can you name a Honda car or truck that was ever a flat out flop? Their lowest selling vehicle ever was probably the Del Sol and it was a very niche vehicle anyhow.

I've owned a Honda before and they do a great job at building appliance vehicles. I'm not a fan of their "truck" and think it looks like the Avalanche meets the Element but I can tell you now they will sell them and they won't have to put big rebates or financing on them to do it. For people driving SUVs that want something they aren't afraid to get a bit dirty the Honda truck is just the ticket.

Look past your brand bias and think about it. Not everyone who buys real trucks even uses half the capability of their vehicle. This could be just what some of those people were waiting for. This vehicle will put more of a dent in the SUV market than the pickup market. It competes more closely with the Sport-Trac, Baja, and the smaller crew cab trucks with the stunted beds.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bancho
Can you name a Honda car or truck that was ever a flat out flop?
The NSX. That's what happened when honda tried to get out of their bread and butter. Unibody does not a truck make.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
The NSX. That's what happened when honda tried to get out of their bread and butter. Unibody does not a truck make.
I beg to difffer. The NSX is low volume but still sold after all these years. I used the Del Sol in my original post since Honda discontinued it. Low volume does not equal failure. Priced as they are I would never expect you to see many NSX's on the road at all.

Unibody may not make a great truck but it is more than adequate for most uses. I don't expect to see a lot of people towing or plawing with the Honda truck but I doubt seroiusly it will be anything less than successful (no matter how ugly they make it). Unibody designs can also be quite strong and durable (especially when Honda's bed is too small to really overload). Jeep has been fond of unibody designs for years with no real problems. The Ridgeline is little more than an SUV with open rear. It'll do it's intended job fine.

I must stress I have no interest in the vehicle (I prefer real trucks) but in many markets this thing will be hard for Honda *not* to sell like crazy.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, what you're saying is that any vehicle which doesn't sell is low volume? So was the Camaro low volume?

Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
So, what you're saying is that any vehicle which doesn't sell is low volume? So was the Camaro low volume?
No, I am not saying that vehicles that don't sell are low volume. Have you seen any great lease deals or big rebates on NSX's?

hehe, at the end the Camaro was very low Volume .

Seriously though, base price for the NSX is $89k. The Camaro stickered for a quarter to a third of that perhaps. Would you suggest that it's intended to be a high volume vehicle? You could almost buy two Corvettes for the price of a single NSX. The NSX was never intended to sell like a Civic so judging by units sold isn't a good was of judging success. It would be more accurate to judge based on how many the companies *intended* to sell. In that regard the NSX is a complete success compared to the Camaro.

The Camaro and NSX, while both quick cars, were never competitors. They filled diffferent roles for each company. The NSX aimed for the higher end of the market and the Camaro more or less competed with the Mustang and various imports. The demand for the Camaro dwindled until it was finally euthanized. Apparently Acura doesn't have a big problem selling the NSX's they build (based on Edmunds TMV report, for whatever that's worth).

I didn't really intend to get off track with this discussion. My only point was that it's rare indeed for Honda to blunder. They entered the SUV market late with their own vehicles (while using rebadged Isuzu's in the meantime). When they finally introduced their own SUVs they were well regarded and sold well. They did their research and answered with what people wanted (not all people but a bunch apparently). I'm sure they've done more research and didn't just whip off the Ridgeline on a cocktail napkin over happy hour.

I don't really expect 100% unbiased opinions here but I'm sure there are others here who like vehicles for more than just the badges they wear. I'm not part of the demographic this thing is aimed at but I'm sure I'll see them at work, on the highway and in my neighborhood when they finally go on sale. Ford, should actually take a look at what Honda's done and perhaps think about it when they deliver the redesigned Sport Trac. Who knows, perhaps they could take the Freestyle and carve it up a little to give Honda a bit of competition.

I just remembered, the IH Scout was unibody as well

Old 01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
the IH Scout was unibody as well
Remember how everyone said it was so ugly and only a farmer would ever own one.....a couple of leading magazines of the time said it would never take off...sure seems to look like an SUV of yester-year...to me

Old 01-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Remember how everyone said it was so ugly and only a farmer would ever own one.....a couple of leading magazines of the time said it would never take off...sure seems to look like an SUV of yester-year...to me
They were great trucks, I just wish they weren't such rustbuckets . I always liked the way they looked.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:37 PM
westladog
Senior User
You rednecks can rip Japanese vehicles all you want. There is no denying the Japanese are moving into the Big 3 neighborhoods. Toyota, for example, have steadily increased their market share for the past 9 straight years at the cost from the big 3.

The honda truck is not meant to compete with the heavy duty truck market.
You're an idiot for even talking about it here.

When the Japanese do get into the heavy duty truck segment, the Big 3 better pay attention.

Nissan is taking a big step. Toyota is building a truck plan in San Antonio (in Taxas!). Does that mean anything to you?

You know that the Japanese do not mess around when it comes to reliability.
They know that reliability is the #1 factor that keeps customers coming back while the Big 3 depend on "national loyalty".

The governnment is not giving me $45k to pay for my truck so I'm sure not going to be loyal to "buy american" idea. I buy what's best not who makes it and from what country.
96 Dodge Ram
00 SD Crew V10
01 SD 7.3 Crew
98 Accord
00 Maxima
03 Honda Odessy
I've never had to bring any of my Japanese vehicles in for service. Just oil changes....
Honda truck

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-31-2005 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 01-29-2005, 04:46 PM
fbodyfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by westladog
You rednecks can rip Japanese vehicles all you want. There is no denying the Japanese are moving into the Big 3 neighborhoods. Toyota, for example, have steadily increased their market share for the past 9 straight years at the cost from the big 3.

The honda truck is not meant to compete with the heavy duty truck market.
You're an idiot for even talking about it here.

When the Japanese do get into the heavy duty truck segment, the Big 3 better pay attention.

Nissan is taking a big step. Toyota is building a truck plan in San Antonio (in Taxas!). Does that mean anything to you?

You know that the Japanese do not mess around when it comes to reliability.
They know that reliability is the #1 factor that keeps customers coming back while the Big 3 depend on "national loyalty".

The governnment is not giving me $45k to pay for my truck so I'm sure not going to be loyal to "buy american" idea. I buy what's best not who makes it and from what country.

96 Dodge Ram
00 SD Crew V10
01 SD 7.3 Crew
98 Accord
00 Maxima
03 Honda Odessy
I've never had to bring any of my Japanese vehicles in for service. Just oil changes....
You're missing the point. They're TRYING to move in to the Big 3 truck market. They didn't with this. They moved in to the Soccer mom SUV with what she thinks is a truck market. Please, Honda and diesels? They didn't even make a V8 to compete with the best selling vehicles in America, of which have V8's. Unibody construction? Try towing it's 5000lb capacity with it. I'll laugh when your chassis bends. Put a VTEC motor in a hualing vehicle? Absolutely NO heavy towing capability, and making peak power near redline. It's a freakin civic on steroids, not a truck.

On another hand, I don't doubt the reliability of them. Of course it will be reliable. The japanese engineers have focused a little TOO much attention on reliability versus what people need from a truck. Ford F-Series has been selling like mad (better than any other vehicle in America) for 28 years. I'm pretty sure making it a little more like the F-150 would make it a much better truck.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by westladog
Good point, while certainly not perfect the Nissan Titan is a *very* credible effort and it will only get better. It should be interesting to see Toyota's new true full size truck when it's released as well.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
I personally will not buy one I do like one thing in the design of the honda truck. The bed on them have a little trunk area where you can store stuff but that isnt enough to buy one.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
i will never buy a honda truck.....and i still think it would be fun to rip one in half with 2 6.0 L turbo F250's....just for fun my buddy has a new dodge cummings that we just got finished putting the edege programmer on over the weekend.....we were out on the highway and some stupid civic was messin with us....his truck now makes about 650 HP at the wheels and over 1000 ft/lbs with the propane injection......just running the edge is around 400 HP and 700 ft. lbs......well, needless to say he had to rev his V-TEC junker up and pull ahead of us until my buddy matted the throttle and got next to him then hit the propane injection and we BLEW HIS DOORS OFF.......he pulled over behind us couple miles down the road......8000 LB truck just destroyed his "fast" car.....HAHA......he even had a SC on it......i told him to put a few more stickers on the back window and mabey it'll be faster next time....then we left with two smoke stacks of black diesel following us down the road

thought you guys would like to hear that

Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Al Bundy
Senior User
i will never buy a honda truck.....and i still think it would be fun to rip one in half with 2 6.0 L turbo F250's....just for fun my buddy has a new dodge cummings that we just got finished putting the edege programmer on over the weekend.....we were out on the highway and some stupid civic was messin with us....his truck now makes about 650 HP at the wheels and over 1000 ft/lbs with the propane injection......just running the edge is around 400 HP and 700 ft. lbs......well, needless to say he had to rev his V-TEC junker up and pull ahead of us until my buddy matted the throttle and got next to him then hit the propane injection and we BLEW HIS DOORS OFF.......he pulled over behind us couple miles down the road......8000 LB truck just destroyed his "fast" car.....HAHA......he even had a SC on it......i told him to put a few more stickers on the back window and mabey it'll be faster next time....then we left with two smoke stacks of black diesel following us down the road

thought you guys would like to hear that
The honda truck isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I am not pro honda, but I try to look and view things from both sides before making a bad pre-judement.

Last edited by Fordlover55; 02-01-2005 at 06:33 PM. Reason: removed inflamitory comment at end
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
....all we were doing was minding our own business driving home then he had to rev up his VTEC....so we showed him a lesson....thats all....i have no problem with people that like honda cars or any of the other rice burners.....just don't think they are something that they aren't.....he teased us with his 4cyl and we blew his doors off with a 8000 lb truck....i just think honda should stick to what they are good at.....civic, accord and their acura line....good cars, they are so they should stick to it

Last edited by Fordlover55; 02-01-2005 at 06:37 PM. Reason: he took the bait ... I removed his response .. end of flame

Quick Reply: Honda's truck