Oil & Lubrication  

99 ranger oil change time

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:23 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 ranger oil change time

Sorry for the double post, but i'm not getting any responses in the ranger forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so as many of you have probably read in my other threads i just replaced the engine in my 99 ranger, and i'm almost to the first oil change after the breakin period (500 miles).

What do you guys recommend for oil?
Should i use synthetic, is it safe?
Which weight of oil and such does ford recommend?
Any gains in mpg with synthetic?
How much more is synthetic over conventional?
Which brand of oil, does it matter?
How many quarts does this thing take?

Thanks,
Paul
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.0l flex fuel.
<!-- / message -->

Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captain p4, I used to have a 98 Ranger 3.0 that I dearly loved but received over $6,000 worth of hail damage so I traded it. I bought the truck back one year later from the guy that purchased it from the dealer. I put a total of 128,000 of that truck and it ran great the entire time. May buy another. Now to your question. If that was my engine, I would be looking for Chevron Supreme in either 5w-30 or 10w-30. Wally World was carrying it but some stores have phased it out. If that's not available, look for Havoline in the same weights with the preference to the 5w-30. And if that's not available, look for the newer Pennzoil with the 929A rating on the back of the bottle. The key to these oils is that they have a significant amount of moly in the add pack. It is a great barrier additive and because your engine is running extra hot internally due to the break-in and friction, the moly will "plate" the engine, reduce the heat, reduce break-in wear, and provide for a longer life engine. If you still can't find any of these, use a name brand 5w-30 and buy a bottle of Valvoline Synpower. Use only 4 oz of it with your oil change. This will boost the add pack of the oil. It is a good idea to change the oil at 500 miles as the oil that is in it will be suffering from additive depletion trying to "plate up" the engine. I would suggest changing again at around the 1500-2000 mile mark and then go to 3500-4000 mile OCIs. best of luck with the new engine, I think the Ranger is a hoot to drive.

I forgot about your question in regards to synthetics. The synthetic blends turn in the lowest wear metals. You get the best of both types of oils. Motorcraft, if available, is world renown Hydroclear repackaged. Usually Wally has it. You can use any of the dinos or blends during break-in. The rings will usually seat quicker using these oils rather than PAO synthetics but if you wanted to switch to Mobil One or the like, it won't hurt, just takes longer to break-in.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:38 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently bought a '00 Ranger, 3.0 V6, with 61,000 mile on it.

I wanted to change the oil, 'cause the dealer didn't.
I am basically 'old school'. Find something good, stay with it. I didn't want to change brands on the truck, so, I tried to find out what the previous owner used. NOT.

I have used Pennzoil for more years than I can remember, so, I put that in.
(I'm only buying one brand for 4 vehicles.)

I am a firm believer of changing oil. Dad taught me to change it every 3,000 miles.
That's what I do. IF the manufacturer says 7,500. . . ok. But, that's just not me. The oil is the engine's life blood. Nothing hurts giving a transfusion a little more often.

Just my 2¢.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:19 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't use synthetics on a new engine until you get some more miles on it. The synthetics May not let the engine break in normally. Use dino oil for about 10k, then if you want to go synthetic, it'll be okay.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:25 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the premium European cars use synthetic oil for the factory fill with no problems at all.

If the engine is not using any oil, then synthetic will work out well if that's what you want to do.

I'm with BlueOvalRanger in that I am an oil change maniac. Because I change oil often, I elect to not use synthetic oil and put the saved money in more frequent oil changes.

It works for me with engines that I have run as much as a half million miles by changing oil every 3,000 miles and draining it hot, usually overnight so as to get every last drop of gunk out of the crankcase.

Good luck,
Doc