1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New 1948-1952 Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:54 AM
tarsi210
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 1948-1952 Enthusiast

Hello to everyone.

My name's Nathan and I'm 27 and live in Iowa.

Anywho:
I've just joined these forums because I've recently decided that I need 2 major things: 1) a truck and 2) a project vehicle. I'm not a mechanic; at most I'm an armchair mechanic and do light work on my current two vehicles (03 Mitsu Eclipse GTS and 96 Dodge Intrepid). But I've decided that the best way to learn is to do.

So, I've been scoping out various vehicles with the mind of having both a useful vehicle for hauling things and something to occupy myself with in the spare time. To this end, I've become very enamoured with the look of the 1948-1952 series F-x trucks. I think that I'd like to get one of these as a project restore and truck. They're very nice looking, classic vehicles and should be simple enough in engine, drivetrain, and body design for an amateur mechanic.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have owned and/or worked on/restored these vehicles. I have not purchased one and don't plan to for awhile, until I have done the proper research (or random whim comes along!) I'd like to know which model is the best to get (F-1,F-2,F-3), problems and caveats to watch for with these trucks, how expensive it is to find proper parts, links to webpages concerning their construction or restoration, and any other advice, recommendations, or comments people might have about them.

Thanks much for reading and any help you can give!

Nathan Pralle

Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Nathan, welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge here. It's a great group with a ton of experience. Shop for your truck, and find out what the going rate in your area is for vehicles in various conditions. I would suggest buying someones' project after they have grown tired of it. Most people will drastically discount their trucks after desciding that they want to do something else. I bought my 54 two years ago with the engine and tranny already upgraded and rebuilt. It also had the Volare front end and a 9" rear axle equipped with disk brakes. In addition the seller gladly included a bed full of new and used parts. All for $5400. Good luck, John

Old 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
I agree with John about finding someone's restoration truck that they want or need to sell. The receipts that came with my truck were twice what I paid for it. Figure out what you like and develop a specification. I wanted a 51 or 52 with a flathead V8 and manual transmission with floor shift. Once you figure out what you want, it will be easier to shop. If you start out with a basket case, it is easy to get discouraged. It is fun to have something you can drive while you work on it. Good Luck!!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Cool, another F1 trucker. I'm partial to the 51-52 front end style, most seem to prefer the 48-50 horizontal bars grill, but there's something about the gawdy 51-52 look that I prefer. If you're staying close to stock, you'll probably find it easier to find F1 parts. The main sheet metal differences are the front fenders on the bigger trucks have bigger wheel openings, and the beds are bigger/longer with stamped sides. The heavier mechanical stuff like rear ends and suspension are also easier to find parts for on the F1. You also have lots of options on mods too, such as a newer rear end with better gear ratio and such.

Mechanically speaking, they are fun to work on and not too complicated. Mine is stripped to the frame now (hoping to get paint on the frame this weekend) and there are only a couple of small details I might be fuzzy on when it comes to reassembly . But definitely pick up a shop manual too, wealth of information and good pictures/drawings on most topics to show how things come apart/go together. They are in reproduction now and you can get them on CD ROM as well if you prefer. If you are set on getting the 48-52 truck, you should go ahead and get the manual (usually around $25 or $30) and familiarize yourself with the truck. It will probably help when you are finally buying one too, so you know what to look for.

My 2 pennies,

Scott

Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
F1 series

Welcome to truckaholics anonymous

I am currently rebuilding 1950 F1; and do not consider myself to be a mechanic.

As already mentioned, I would suggest knowing what you are hoping to have with respect to stock or modified before you start your search.

To me the most important part was finding a truck with solid sheet metal, as fenders are very difficult to come by for 48-52 F1's. All other parts are readily available, at a cost of course.

This site is invaluable for the wealth of knowledge that is available from experienced users.

You can have a budget in mind, but almost certainly you will end up exceeding it. Buying someone elses project is more cost effective, but make sure their workmanship is quality, and in line with how you invision your end result.

Good hunting and good luck!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tarsi210 -

Welcome to FTE. You'll like it here. I have been participating for about 8 months and my only regret is that I had my 56 for a year before I found the place. Getting in on the info and talent here even before you buy the truck will really work well for you. It'll help you know what to look for when shopping and what things are worth.

Here's another great piece to read: John Niolon's "Trials of a first time builder". Aside from being right-on as to how things usually go, it is really well written and fun.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/Trialsofa...mebuilder.html

Again, welcome.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi210
I'd like to know which model is the best to get (F-1,F-2,F-3), problems and caveats to watch for with these trucks, how expensive it is to find proper parts, links to webpages concerning their construction or restoration, and any other advice, recommendations, or comments people might have about them.
Nathan Pralle
Nathan,

FTE is the place to get your questions answered. Welcome aboard.

As a 1948 F-3 owner who didn't know the differences in the 'F' series trucks when first I bought mine and learned about them afterward, I suggest that you look for an F-1. It will be the best overall truck because oiginal parts are easier to find and more aftermarket parts are made for them. The larger 'F' series trucks are longer and heavier so unless you are planning to haul very heavy stuff, you don't need one. Unfortunately, the F-1 trucks are also going to be more expensive than the F-2s and F-3s because they are more in demand. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but in my own opinion F-1s have a better look than the larger trucks because of the smaller wheel well openings and shorter beds. It is possible to convert an F-2 or F-3 to an F-1 by shortening the frame, bolting on F-1 fenders and running boards, and using a short bed but as one who is going that route I do not recommend it.

Vern

Old 01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
Parts availability depends on the type of part. Since all sizes F1 thru F8 used the same cab, those parts all interchange among the F models. If you are looking for front fenders, you'll find the F1 size the hardest. F2 thru F8 all used the same front fenders, and few of the largest trucks get restored, they are parted-out.

I wanted to put modern wheels on my F3, and I found some on an 80's era F-250 (8 lugs) that fit and looked nice and were only $100 for the set.

Decide what you like. I prefer the bigger trucks, and I've found everything I needed for mine.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SteV8e
F2 thru F8 all used the same front fenders, and few of the largest trucks get restored, they are parted-out.
Just a minor correction... F2-F6 used the same fenders, while F7 and F8 had an even larger wheel well than the F2-F6.

Maybe you should also consider getting a Panel truck. They will cost a little more, but they are different. You don't see too many Panel trucks on the road. Regular trucks are more common. However, finding rear body parts is harder. The front clip is the same as a regular F1. The rest of the body isn't. The body is a one piece hull. If the rear wheelwells are rusted out, then your only choice is to repair them or find another Panel with good rear wheelwells and section them in. Rear doors are also hard to come by. Running boards are as equally hard. Stock bucket seats are even harder to find.

I happen to own two beautiful Panel trucks.

This one's a '51. It's all original and running. Currently it's being slightly rodded, due to having more patch panels on the inside than I wanted. I learned from this truck that I shouldn't buy cars without looking at them myself.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...4/51panel1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...4/51panel3.jpg

This one's a '52. It's also stock and mostly original. The bucket seats and the '53 Mercury V8 flathead engine is not original. Still looking for the OHV 6 cylinder engine to make the truck original in appearance.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...4/52panel1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...4/52panel3.jpg

I would agree with others that buying someone's project truck is the way to go. I would buy one that is running and most of the mechanical/clean up work is done. Buying a mostly assembled truck will save you from lots of headaches. Also, buying an F1 truck would be a lot easier for your first restoration.

I plan to buy a COE in the future, but that's another post at a later time.

Ilya

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-27-2005 at 04:47 PM. Reason: remove img
Old 01-27-2005, 01:46 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
Like everyone else I think its a darn good idea to decide what you want for an end product. No sense paying for origianl parts when you want to go custom or vice versa. Since you mention hauling things around, you should ask how much (volume and weight) you'll be hauling and how far. Hauling small amounts a few miles you could have an F1 with origianl mechanical parts. But if you want to haul or tow something big at highway speeds 50 miles or more you would want the bigger bed of an F2 or 3 and a different engine, tranny, rearend combo.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:59 PM
tarsi210
New User
Plan, Ideas, Use, etc.

Thanks to everyone who has replied already, I really appreciate it. I've been reading through all the links and information people have given and I have a few thoughts I thought I'd share:

1. USE - The truck will probably be used for more light work than heavy. I just want something around when you really need a truck to haul instead of a car. A plant, some dirt, a piece of furniture, a computer. Things like that. I don't plan on hauling a ton of brick or anything. So, size isn't such a big deal; that being said, if it's easier to rebuild a bigger truck, so be it. Having the *option* to haul lots of stuff was never a bad thing.

2. PLAN - I've thought a bit about the restore vs. street versions of the truck and figure that, right now, I'm looking at a street version with a restore bent. What I mean by that is, if the part I'm working on is good enough to restore or replace with an original part, great. I'll keep the original. That being said, if the truck I get has a part that is just too cost prohibitive to use an original or restore it, I'll probably try to find an equivalent or otherwise acceptable part. For instance, if I get a steal on a truck that has a bad engine and can find another engine that works inside of it, I'm not going to be bent out of shape as to making sure it's the exact engine. But I'll try given the fact that I might as well. Things like that.

3. GETTING A TRUCK - Thanks for the comments about buying someone else's project and so forth. I've thought about that, too. Part of me wants to buy something that's been sitting out back for the last half century or buried in someone's garage since Grandpa ran it, just so I can start at the beginning and know each and every thing right or wrong with it and can make all the decisions about what to do with it. Plus, purchasing something of that sort is likely to be cheaper (esp. if they don't know what they have). That being said, if I were to find something that was done in a way that I don't disapprove of and some of the major work was already done (say, engine restored but body needed work), that doesn't sound all bad, either. I might or might not be in the mood to restore an engine. I suppose I could, but what a large amount of work. Something like that might have to be farmed out.

Lots of thought yet to go in this as I'm just starting out. Appreciate the replies so far.

Nathan

Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Welcome Nathan, I'm working on a 51 F1 you can see a picture of it in my gallery. Also check out the pictures of the 50 f1 that is totaled out. Its over on the opening page of Bonusbuilt.com the link is in the center section.
If I can be of any tech assistance just let me know.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:23 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
51panelman:

Thanks for the correction on the front fenders; I didn't know F7 and F8 had bigger openings.

I love the panels. I considered a panel when I bought my pickup. It would be nice to have a truck that would fit my whole family. Do you have any seating in the back? Could you post some pictures in a gallery, some showing the interiors?

Nathan, finding a truck that "they don't know what they have" is unlikely. What is much more common for that truck that has been sitting (and sinking) out back, is they think they have something that they don't. Typically because they saw a high price tag on a beautifully restore or highly modified truck, which is not what they are selling. That cheaper price won't seem cheap, when you start pouring in the money.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:43 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
51panelman:

Thanks for the correction on the front fenders; I didn't know F7 and F8 had bigger openings.

I love the panels. I considered a panel when I bought my pickup. It would be nice to have a truck that would fit my whole family. Do you have any seating in the back? Could you post some pictures in a gallery, some showing the interiors?

Nathan, finding a truck that "they don't know what they have" is unlikely. What is much more common for that truck that has been sitting (and sinking) out back, is they think they have something that they don't. Typically because they saw a high price tag on a beautifully restore or highly modified truck, which is not what they are selling. That cheaper price won't seem cheap, when you start pouring in the money.
That is a very true statment, I have dumped $4,500.00 into my 51 in the last year. And it still has the stock 6 and the crash box 4 speed in it. When I recover, it will be time for the next phase. V8, auto trans,Power windows,A/C you know the routine I'm sure.
I always say next time I will find one that has the body and interior already finished. And all I will have to do is the driveline. But somehow it never has wound up that way. (maybe next time)

Old 01-27-2005, 08:28 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
51panelman:

The Panels originally came with only a seat for the driver. The passenger seat was an option. The Panels never came with any bench seats in the front or rear. The only Panels that had seats in the back were called "Ranger". They were built by Marmon-Herrington, if I am not mistaken. The "Ranger" Panels were similar to the Suburban's of the era except they were 4 wheel drive. There's a Panel on eBay now that closely resembles the "Ranger" Panel style.

As far as my Panels go, I don't have any seats in the back of my '51. It had the original bucket seats (driver and passenger). I have removed them recently and replaced them with bucket seats from a mid-90s Dodge Caravan. The driver's seat is power and the passenger seat tilts forward, similar to the original, to allow access to the rear section. I also have the rear bench seat out of the same Caravan that I plan on installing behind the front seats.

My '52 has the bucket seats for the driver and the passenger (not-original but correct for the era). It also has a bench seat from an F1 truck installed behind the bucket seats. This was done by the previous owner. While the rear seat does add more seating space, I think that it detracts from the Panel's look. It looks more cluttered in the back. Additionally, air circulation isn't the greatest going to the rear. On hot summer days, you could sweat up a storm sitting in the back seat.

I'll have to get my pictures together and create a gallery.

Ilya

Quick Reply: New 1948-1952 Enthusiast