Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks Stinger Plus Impression!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Banks Stinger Plus Impression!!!

i just installed my stinger plus kit last weekend. i put in all but the chip first and tried it for 3 days.
better boost and acceleration. not much more power overall though.

then i put in the chip when it came in after giving the pcm code. they did not ask for it when i ordered the kit.
i was told by the sales man that the chip is all the power and is the brains of the kit.....the rest is just the foundation.
so i take his word for it and pull the pcm again,clean the contacts and put in the chip.
my first reaction is........ is this @@@@@**** even working???
the only difference i do notice is the egt's are much lower.
so i call him back and we play phone tag for 2 days. he tells me that he will ask a tech to call me and that maybe i got a lower powered chip w/ the wrong decal on it. so i buy his idea and wait for the tech to call me...... another 5 days and no call. i did plug in my scanner to see if what they said is true( there will be a code for pcm error) they were right about that is says p0603 i think it was pcm kam error.
so now i know i do have a good conection, and not more power than i had before i installed the chip.so my question is if anyone else feels the difference i thought i would get from a claimed 80+HP and 156lbs of TQ at the tires not the crank??????
the trans command works awesome though just as described. any input is appreciated.
thanks guys.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't say what year your truck is, but if your truck is pre '99, there isn't a chip made that will give you 86hp at the wheels. Period. Banks makes good quality products, and they look nice, but they aren't the leaders in making power.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
You don't say what year your truck is, but if your truck is pre '99, there isn't a chip made that will give you 86hp at the wheels. Period. Banks makes good quality products, and they look nice, but they aren't the leaders in making power.
1996psd ext cab auto. they claim this hole kit will give you that power at the wheels and there are dyno results at there site.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Originally Posted by 18vtx00
1996psd ext cab auto. they claim this hole kit will give you that power at the wheels and there are dyno results at there site.
there is more than just a chip included, transcommand, 3 1/2 exh, 3" down pipe, chip, guages,turbo housing.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

so who makes the most reliable power and gives good mileage and a good warranty???

Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

http://galebanks.com/app.cfm?appid=AF02

look here to see their dyno results.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

any input from any one is greatly appreciated.

does this seem like normal results?

am i expecting too much from banks???

Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM
lancer
Elder User
Well i know i would be pretty upset!! If there dyno shows that much horse power you should definately feel it in your butt when you kick her down!! If they won't do nothing for you send 'er back and tell them to suck eggs!!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
there is more than just a chip included, transcommand, 3 1/2 exh, 3" down pipe, chip, guages,turbo housing.
Of all those things, only the chip makes power. The other things are enhancers, but they don't make power.
they claim this hole kit will give you that power at the wheels and there are dyno results at there site.
My experience with dynos is that they're subjective, at best. If you and I were to put our trucks on a particular dyno, and my truck produced more power than yours, that's all we'd know. The numbers put out of a dyno aren't absolutely accurate. If we took our trucks to a different dyno, and ran them again, I'd suspect that my truck would still outrun yours, and our numbers from the two different dynos would also be different. I could tell you stories about dyno operators that manipulate the dyno results to prove/disprove a point.
any input from any one is greatly appreciated.

does this seem like normal results?

am i expecting too much from banks???
Go check the driver's seat. If there aren't pucker marks from your butt cheeks squeezing together, you ain't got 86 more hp. 86 additional hp is a lot, and you'd be really impressed if you were actually getting it.

Incidentally, I've got all the components of a Stinger Plus on my truck, though none of it is Banks stuff. I've also got propane injection. With the propane on I get more than 86 additional hp at the wheels. Without it, no way.
Where do you live? If you're anywhere near Seattle, we should hook up, and I'll take you for a ride.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:52 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Cool thanks for the input

Of all those things, only the chip makes power. The other things are enhancers, but they don't make power.
this is what i already know, but you need the rest of the parts to get the best power gains and best MPG.

My experience with dynos is that they're subjective, at best. If you and I were to put our trucks on a particular dyno, and my truck produced more power than yours, that's all we'd know. The numbers put out of a dyno aren't absolutely accurate. If we took our trucks to a different dyno, and ran them again, I'd suspect that my truck would still outrun yours, and our numbers from the two different dynos would also be different. I could tell you stories about dyno operators that manipulate the dyno results to prove/disprove a point.

Go check the driver's seat. If there aren't pucker marks from your butt cheeks squeezing together, you ain't got 86 more hp. 86 additional hp is a lot, and you'd be really impressed if you were actually getting it.

THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING, this kind of advertised power at the wheels is signifigant,since i only started w/ 225hp at the crank. but this is what i am told by them. my problem is that i do not feel the difference between the chip and no chip, if there is a difference it is minute. so i guess i will call again and hope to get a new one.
if not then i will try to return it and buy a different brand.
thanks alot for the input.

Incidentally, I've got all the components of a Stinger Plus on my truck, though none of it is Banks stuff. I've also got propane injection. With the propane on I get more than 86 additional hp at the wheels. Without it, no way.
Where do you live? If you're anywhere near Seattle, we should hook up, and I'll take you for a ride.
i am 3000 miles away in massachussets, too bad though.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If I were you, I'd find a diesel shop in your area that has a dyno. Tell them your situation, and that you want to dyno your truck. Have them pull the chip, and then run the truck on the dyno. Then, have them put the chip back in, and dyno again. The difference in the two dyno numbers is the amount that your chip is producing.
With all the other Stinger Plus goodies in place, but the chip removed, you'll probably see 185-200rwhp. That's about 10hp more than bone stock, since the exhaust and turbine housing will let the engine breathe better. Once you've got the two dyno numbers, you'll be able to see if the chip is doing you any good or not, and know what you're talking about if/when you talk to the people that installed your system.
If you don't mind me asking, what do shops charge for the Stinger Plus?

Old 01-27-2005, 05:49 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
If I were you, I'd find a diesel shop in your area that has a dyno. Tell them your situation, and that you want to dyno your truck. Have them pull the chip, and then run the truck on the dyno. Then, have them put the chip back in, and dyno again. The difference in the two dyno numbers is the amount that your chip is producing.
With all the other Stinger Plus goodies in place, but the chip removed, you'll probably see 185-200rwhp. That's about 10hp more than bone stock, since the exhaust and turbine housing will let the engine breathe better. Once you've got the two dyno numbers, you'll be able to see if the chip is doing you any good or not, and know what you're talking about if/when you talk to the people that installed your system.
If you don't mind me asking, what do shops charge for the Stinger Plus?
bought it direct for $1550 and i also bought a triple pod and trans temp gauge too.
do not think there are any dyno's local. this is also what i would like to do.
thay claim 260hp at the tires.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
18vtx00,

I too have the Stinger-plus system. I have a 95 PSD. I only bought the chip and the turbine housing since I had already installed a 3 inch DP and better air filter housing previously. I don't know why you don't feel anything because putting on the turbine housing alone (what a pain) gave me noticable results right off the bat. Then I stuck in the chip and I was blown away. The way my truck is now (49" tires and 4.10 gears), if I take out the chip, I can't even hit 60 MPH on the highway. With the chip reinstalled, 80+ is attainable (albeit with LOTS of smoke and high EGTs). Lower gears are in the works!!

Cody

Old 01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Cool

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
18vtx00,

I too have the Stinger-plus system. I have a 95 PSD. I only bought the chip and the turbine housing since I had already installed a 3 inch DP and better air filter housing previously. I don't know why you don't feel anything because putting on the turbine housing alone (what a pain) gave me noticable results right off the bat. Then I stuck in the chip and I was blown away. The way my truck is now (49" tires and 4.10 gears), if I take out the chip, I can't even hit 60 MPH on the highway. With the chip reinstalled, 80+ is attainable (albeit with LOTS of smoke and high EGTs). Lower gears are in the works!!

Cody
well this is the kind of results i was expecting from banks, there must be something wrong w/ my chip.

absolutety no or little difference when chip was installed last. i am running only 285's and the truck will still only hold 85-90mph, same as stock.
it is a little faster but not what i was told. they claim at the tires 81ponies & 171 lbs TQ.
i just want them to call me back so i can get this fixed.
thanks man for the input.
mine does not smoke at all and has been -10*F --- 20*F at the most. the EGT is cooler than before and it should be the opposite.
@ 70mph on the flat w/ slight hills she runs @450-550,
if i put it all the way to the carpet on a hill it will hit 800*, but that is it.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
18vtx00,

Cody
by the way that is a kick *** truck man!!!

i bet that the side of the seat is worn from sliding down to the 1st floor!!!

Quick Reply: Banks Stinger Plus Impression!!!