6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 with six speed = stinks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:16 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 with six speed = stinks?

6.0 with the 6 speed stinks right? It's a real piece?

Give me the story with this combination please.

I don't want too many negative comments from the automatic crowd - you all have
issues of your own right now as it turns out. Besides I don't expect too many
positive replies regarding 6 speeds from those who like autos better anyway - no
offense intended guys.

I have driven the 6.0 with Torqueshift - and it is an awesome combo - inspite of
this, I'm a manual transmission lover.

Almost every vehicle (truck) I've ever owned has been equipt with a manual
transmission. What is the performance of the 6.0 PSD with 6 speed from a dead
stop? Good performance means different things to different people. I imagine
someone coming from a Cummins/6 speed is going to expect much more off idle from
the 6.0 than someone coming from a GM4.8/5speed
combo would.

Can I expect as much off idle acceleration from this engine/transmission as I
have gotten from my past from my old 351/ZF 5speed? Or even my old F150 with
300/M5OD 5 speed? Please tell me I can expect at least this much....Am I gonna
need to be in granny low going down hill to get decent acceleration from a dead
stop? Ridiculous I know - but some of what I've heard regarding this combo makes
this seem not all that far fetched...

How is shifting with your ZF's? I have little personal experience with the 6
speed. I'm told the shifts have gotten sloppier than the ones used in 99'?

Finally, what is meant by "no low end" regarding this combination? Are we
talking a slow-due-to-turbo-l-a-g effect? Or are we talking a complete lack of
torque? I've seen graphs for both the 6.0 and 7.3 and it seems theres not that
much difference between them down low - 45LBFT at most in some
parts of the powerband. It seems the main difference is that the 6.0 keeps
making more HP and torque at higher RPM where the 7.3 has already fallen flat.

Put it this way - even if the 6.0 has "no low end" by diesel standards - 570lbft
is way above what any gasser makes - and at 2000RPM peak
it's well lower in the RPM band as well. It's gotta have at least as much "get
up" as a V10 - even if it dosent have as much "go".

I'm possibly buying a PSD soon - will need to order it through Jeff and have not
been able to find one for a test drive since I've become interested in making a
buy. If I can't get at least 4.6/5speed acceleration from a dead stop, I may
wait till 06' on the new Dodge/Cummins.

Thanks in advance. Not meaning to be derogatory or patronising in any way.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before I purchased my 04' F-350 V-10, 6-speed,,I drove a 04' F-350, 6.0, 6-speed, cab & chassi, and I am sure the tires where spinning,,(DRW),the truck cranked,,up to 70 mph quick, even lost the dealer plate,,lol,,but I could feel the driveline shudder when taking off, just like my 99 had, and it was only a XL,,not what I wanted.

I would say they run good, keep looking ! Later,,,,Mark

Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
I don't see how the 6-oh and 6 speed combo could stink --- and I'm an auto driver...
but over the years of manuals I NEVER ran into one that couldn't get off the line well... just a tad more throttle and a little slower clutch and off you go....

Old 01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
04 LARIAT STROKER
Senior User
with my stick i crank the heck out of it and it loves it...i can keep right up there with my buddy and his auto...and i love it because when i go from 1st to 2nd, there's a tire belch. then from 2nd to 3rd theres a chirp...of course you have to powershift it and stomp on it but i love it...it makes people look...but i am only 21 years old so i'm sure that has somthing to do with it.

Last edited by Daryl Hunter; 01-24-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
I love my 6psd!

I too had to have my local dealer search for an SD, 6.0 with 6spd.

Yeah, if you're towing anything over 8000lbs, it's easier to start out by using low. Else start out in 1st with a little more throttle and clutch. Empty, I lug my 6.0 down to 35mph on the flat in 5th gear. She'll drone just a little, but if you're not trying to accellerate she'll hold speed down to 1,100 rpm. I wish the ratio spread was a little different at second gear. I wish there were a little more legs in second gear, but a larger tire size should cure that. (All-be-it that'll affect final drive ratio through the whole range.) I would not like the 6spd with 4.11:1 rear gears unless I was towing a 6-10 horse trailer through mountain logging roads or ran 35" tires. With the 3.73:1 rear gears, 35" tires might be too big.

Control with the 6speed is nothing less than SWEET! SD brakes have been improved, so the trans braking ability of the TH mode of the Torqueshift isn't really missed. There's still a good amount of compression braking, about what you'd expect with a bigblock Ford Gasser.

I've never had an EGR issue. I think that in part is due to the constant change in RPM when shifting. (The egr valve only opens when the exhaust back pressure excedes intake manifold pressure.) That said, I think 6spd equiped 6.0's egr valve opens/closes more often, thus doesn't get gummed up. Just a theory.

Low range is great. What every "Truck" should have. When I want to crawl, it crawls. It's a very useful gear, One that you don't use all that often, but when you need it, it's a Godsend.

Could the 6.0 use a little more torque at lower rpms? Yeah, maybe a little, but there's plenty there. There's a little turbo-lag, but once she's spooled up, you're sittin back in the seat! A little more free flowing exhaust and Zoodad cures this for the most part.

None of these trucks are perfect. Yeah the interior of the GM is nice. The Dodge not quite as nice as the Ford. I know that the dash is still rattling off the mounts on the Dodge for many a logging outfit. I hear that the GM's have the same problem -except it's for the interior electronics when pushed into off pavement service. I've heard nothing bad about the Ford SD's when used off pavement. Limited slip issues are easily fixed.

I DO NOT LIKE SHIFT ON THE FLY 4X4. I will be removing mine and converting to a lever with linkage some day.

One thing to realize, is that these engines take a while to break in. When new, my truck wasn't all that impressive down low. I was comparing to my 88 slightly built 460 in an F250 4x4. Now that things are breaking in, there's a huge improvement since she was new. Yeah, the Cummins wins in the low end torque catagory, but when doesn't an Inline 6? Just to compare some gassers - The old AMC 258, 262 GM, 292 Ford, 4 litre Jeep, 300 Ford... Need I say more?

The 6spd combined with the 6.0 is a great combination. If the 6spd would have been available with the 7.3 there would have been great reviews there too. Dodges new 6spd is impressive, only time will tell if it'll last behind that powerplant. I can't comment about the Dura/Izuzu. Never seen a 6spd with one. It would be quite impressive, but I don't trust the Dura/Izuzu.

Buy the 6.0 with 6spd -If you're used to a BBFord with T-18/T-19/NP465, you'll be pleasantly satisfied. The only problem I've heard of is if you're using a power programmer set on high, the clutch will eventually slip. No upgrades for 6.0/ZF clutches that I know of yet.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Hayapower!
Elder User
We have an 04 F350/SC/4x4/dually/six speed in the fleet now.. It has a 'heavy' 3/16" maybe even 1/4" in some areas, diamond plate steel bed/headboard (replated twice now for rust through, so its even heavier) mounted on the backside.. I wouldn't say it was a dog by any means, but it does need just a bit more throttle from a dead stop to get it pulling.. After its rolling the power is plenty, and with the manual, maybe even easier to control with loads/hills ect.. The guy driving it is 'very happy' with the new rig, but would like to add an exhaust brake at some point as he does alot of heavy grade decents.. His previous truck was an alike truck with a 460, and the 6.0 will out pull it hands down.. He has a bit of trouble getting smooth shifts/RPM's but I thought it shifted pretty nice if you manage the RPM's to speed.. The throttle on all the 6.0's tends to be a bit 'twitchy' especially cold.. I prefer an auto, but all 'n' all I thought the 'sixer' wasn't a bad combo mated to the 6.0..

.................HP.............

Old 01-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Todder
Elder User
I kick myself in the butt for not getting a 6spd. I wish I would have but there was only 3 in TX equip'd like I wanted.
So I got a TS and love it. But I wish she was a 6er

Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades
I too had to have my local dealer search for an SD, 6.0 with 6spd.

Yeah, if you're towing anything over 8000lbs, it's easier to start out by using low. Else start out in 1st with a little more throttle and clutch. Empty, I lug my 6.0 down to 35mph on the flat in 5th gear. She'll drone just a little, but if you're not trying to accellerate she'll hold speed down to 1,100 rpm. I wish the ratio spread was a little different at second gear. I wish there were a little more legs in second gear, but a larger tire size should cure that. (All-be-it that'll affect final drive ratio through the whole range.) I would not like the 6spd with 4.11:1 rear gears unless I was towing a 6-10 horse trailer through mountain logging roads or ran 35" tires. With the 3.73:1 rear gears, 35" tires might be too big.

Control with the 6speed is nothing less than SWEET! SD brakes have been improved, so the trans braking ability of the TH mode of the Torqueshift isn't really missed. There's still a good amount of compression braking, about what you'd expect with a bigblock Ford Gasser.

I've never had an EGR issue. I think that in part is due to the constant change in RPM when shifting. (The egr valve only opens when the exhaust back pressure excedes intake manifold pressure.) That said, I think 6spd equiped 6.0's egr valve opens/closes more often, thus doesn't get gummed up. Just a theory.

Low range is great. What every "Truck" should have. When I want to crawl, it crawls. It's a very useful gear, One that you don't use all that often, but when you need it, it's a Godsend.

Could the 6.0 use a little more torque at lower rpms? Yeah, maybe a little, but there's plenty there. There's a little turbo-lag, but once she's spooled up, you're sittin back in the seat! A little more free flowing exhaust and Zoodad cures this for the most part.

None of these trucks are perfect. Yeah the interior of the GM is nice. The Dodge not quite as nice as the Ford. I know that the dash is still rattling off the mounts on the Dodge for many a logging outfit. I hear that the GM's have the same problem -except it's for the interior electronics when pushed into off pavement service. I've heard nothing bad about the Ford SD's when used off pavement. Limited slip issues are easily fixed.

I DO NOT LIKE SHIFT ON THE FLY 4X4. I will be removing mine and converting to a lever with linkage some day.

One thing to realize, is that these engines take a while to break in. When new, my truck wasn't all that impressive down low. I was comparing to my 88 slightly built 460 in an F250 4x4. Now that things are breaking in, there's a huge improvement since she was new. Yeah, the Cummins wins in the low end torque catagory, but when doesn't an Inline 6? Just to compare some gassers - The old AMC 258, 262 GM, 292 Ford, 4 litre Jeep, 300 Ford... Need I say more?

The 6spd combined with the 6.0 is a great combination. If the 6spd would have been available with the 7.3 there would have been great reviews there too. Dodges new 6spd is impressive, only time will tell if it'll last behind that powerplant. I can't comment about the Dura/Izuzu. Never seen a 6spd with one. It would be quite impressive, but I don't trust the Dura/Izuzu.

Buy the 6.0 with 6spd -If you're used to a BBFord with T-18/T-19/NP465, you'll be pleasantly satisfied. The only problem I've heard of is if you're using a power programmer set on high, the clutch will eventually slip. No upgrades for 6.0/ZF clutches that I know of yet.

-Steve
There are several around, search BD Power and call around to Bullydog, ect. They make them just as strong as you need them.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:00 PM
mobileman
New User
I have an 04 with stick,coming from a 1994 dodge cummins with 5 speed.the ford has very little pickup at accelleration at low rpm's but will kick butt if you just get the rpm's past 1000 before lifting clutch vs the cummins has power to spare at low rpm's. I just drive them differently.the ford will run circles around the old cummins diesel in power.have 200,000 on dodge cummins and still going strong.Time will tell on PS.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Exclamation Gettin Old

Whats the deal with the 6-Speed whining. Manuals are the real deal I too had to hunt down my '04 6-speed PSD.

Reasons NOT Used for my PSD purchase.
1. For Show
2. For my wife to use at the grocery store
3. For my wife to use at all
4. To qualify in the 1/4 mile
5. To give Junior a race for his money
6. To spin the tires down my block like a ghetto teenager
7. Because it says diesel

Reasons I bought a manual
1. Its the real thing, ultimate control and feel for the engine.
2. Auto transmissions suck, period you never know if you got a good one or a timebomb.
3. No one else is driving my truck but me, so it doesnt have to be user friendly. (my daughters friends wont be taking a trip to the lake with my PSD)
4. Creeping down a steep hill huntin, or towing down a steep grade with a manual used for manual gear selection is the ultimate form of braking.
5. You can never get an auto in as low of a gear compared to the low range manual, its the ultimate off road creeper and super heavy load puller.

OK Whooo Im done (long day at work had to vent)

Last edited by jakeharp; 01-24-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
love it

I love it. Its not even mine. I drove my buddy's three day old 05 350 cc long box 4x4 with the 6spd. Yes you can feel the powerband when the turbo comes alive, but it comes alive very quickly. Easily able to hold wheelspin on dry asphalt through second gear. With intake ehaust and chip, the turbo spools up even fastr. I know guys who put the 03 EVRT turbo it, and its even better. With a little work, those turbos are screamin before the truck is moving. . . but all I can say about the 6 spd, is I couldn't sleep for days after i drove it, it was that cool. . . Thankyou
Timothy

Old 01-24-2005, 11:33 PM
fordtruckin
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jakeharp
Whats the deal with the 6-Speed whining. Manuals are the real deal I too had to hunt down my '04 6-speed PSD.

1. For Show

2. Auto transmissions suck, period you never know if you got a good one or a timebomb.
3. No one else is driving my truck but me, so it doesnt have to be user friendly. (my daughters friends wont be taking a trip to the lake with my PSD)
4. Creeping down a steep hill huntin, or towing down a steep grade with a manual used for manual gear selection is the ultimate form of braking.
5. You can never get an auto in as low of a gear compared to the low range manual, its the ultimate off road creeper and super heavy load puller.

You said it all man! Especially about no one driving your truck but you. People always comment on two things about my truck:

1. How incredibly clean it is for 100k miles

2. How I never let anyone drive it ever

Think there might be a correlation between the two?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:51 PM
hp325
Junior User
Just love my 6-speed. Only use low when pulling my 3 horse trailer. Also I am using a predator with a 4" exhaust

Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jakeharp

1. For Show

wow amen. exactly hat i had been thinking all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 AM
Bushwhacker
Senior User
I too love my 6 speed tranny. Never regretted it for 1 second. If you ever need to really get going with it just rev it up to about 1700 rpm and keep in it while letting the clutch out. You'll have it breaking loose in no time! Really great tranny I feel!

Quick Reply: 6.0 with six speed = stinks?