6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

DFW area diesel dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Antacus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFW area diesel dealership

Has anyone had good or bad luck with a dealership doing work on their diesel trucks? I would like to buy my truck from a delership that has a good rep on repair work... not that I expect the need. If not, is there a way to check if a repair shop is any good before hand.

The dealership I am leaning towards has been a BBB member since '99 with no claims that I have found yet.

BTW, north of Dallas would be best but I'll drive a little ways as needed.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:34 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Antacus: Welcome to the 6.0 side of FTE. And a double welcome to yet another Texican.

Buy your truck anywhere you want...hopefully for the best deal. Then have it serviced anywhere you want.

Prestige Ford in Garland has a really good group of certified diesel techs and the service writers have been there for a long time and generally know their stuff as well. The biggest problem with Prestige is they have a # of corporate accounts and stay pretty busy.

I have also recently heard that Sam Pack has a pretty good diesel service dept. but do not know first hand.

Good luck...and if you need any thing just check in here. We tend to get a little testy some times if we feel we are being attacked but, generally we have fun and a ton of info is available here.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
WE are being surrounded.........

with Texans....sure glad I like them

Old 01-16-2005, 05:30 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YaaHaaHaa !!!!!
Have we got YOU covered

I have only done business with them once because they are a LITTLE too far of a drive for me, but Payton-Wright was SUPERIOR when I needed them !

Ed Wallace of Wheels with Ed... (the Car show on 570AM on Saturdays) raves about the new dealership on the west side of Fort worth on 820 loop - can't recall the name, but it's HUGE !!!

I bought from Grand-Prairie (SUPER deal @ 11K off list on my Ex) and used them for most of the adjustments for my new car, but have not had any major problems that "test" their ability to resolve a tough one...

Will try Texan Ford in the next week or so to see how they do on my two little things and the new flash...

Old 01-17-2005, 07:49 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
John, I don't know about Texan Ford as far as diesels, but my wife took her car there and they forgot to put the oil cap on TWICE. Also, I took my old truck there and when I crawled under it to check for leaks and cleanliness I found the second of 3 bad trannies (fluid dripping out of bell housing cover) and they didn't say a word about it. The first was replaced at Sam Pack's in North Richland Hills and they didn't torque the valve body bolts and that blew the seals. Now, I bought my new truck from Nichol's Ford. They also do large amounts of commercial heavy diesel work for me. I take all of my Fords to them, sometimes as many as 5 or more per month for all warranty and non-warranty work. They work on all of our F-650's and F-750's also and have never had a return to them, except for one allison trans problem (they are not certified for allison disassembly or R&R, very few placed are, so they sublet it and had some problems) They worked out a great deal and paid off my old truck (5-6 G's upside down) and then provided me a new truck at 7000 off MSRP and the 1000 rebate and 4.9 interest for 6 years and then lowered the interest to 4.35 to beat my bank. Needless to continue, I think that everyone in the DFW area should visit Ken Nichol's Ford in south Fort Worth. PM me if you need the phone number or directions...... Mat

Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Know EGG-xactly where they are and thanks for the heads up !!!
it's actually closer to me than Grand Prairie....
and I'm tiring of grand prairie anyway

got my $1.76 diesel at our little price war place in Rendon last week or two !!!!

I actually talked to the owner of the Fina - he asked about my Ex since he looked at it and bought a Navigator instead...
he was green with envy when I told him how much Umph it had and the mpg... he wrote down the Motorhaven web site to get a tuner for his !!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 08:14 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Oh yeah? I noticed that they are all a little higher this week, about 1.85 everywhere now. I haven't seen the QT or Love's on 35 just north of the 1187 exit this week. Last wednesday they were both 1.77. We bought my wife's 01 Explorer at GP and they just didn't seem to bend over backwards for new customers the way that Nichol's has. We went to GP in 01 then to Five Star in 02 and then Nichol's in 03 and 04. Hopefully there won't be a need to buy a new one this year.....Everyone is jealous of the power and fuel mileage, ain't it grand. I out run and out pull (of course) my boss's 04 2500 Dodge hemi 2 wheel drive and he gets about 15.5 MPG average and I average 16.8 or 16.9 depending on how many trips on the interstate into Ft. Worth or Arlington. I normally stay on back roads when possible, but like to wind it up and let it breathe from time to time. Keep up the good work on that fuel price.. Go see the COMMERCIAL service dept at Nichol's. It's around on the back side of the dealership, not up front with the normal service dept. There is a separate comm. serv. manager and SHE does all the write ups and if you have to pay, you pay back there and never have to talk to the non-knowing up front. She is really quite good and the techs. (three certified on 6.0L specifically) are great and don't mind if you ask them LOTs of questions and watch everything. They understand the dollars we put into these trucks and always go the distance to give me the info. I need.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:31 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
hey thanks - I will !

I guess I forgot about them - I guess the last time I was in there was when they were going thru their huge remodel and it was just too much of a hassle....

Will give them a try !

And u still haven't stopped by to talk trucks..

I work from home so I'm here !

Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
OK< OK... I will make a true effort to stop. I am going to Houston this week, but the wife is going to CA this weekend, so I may PM or email and come by Sat. or Sun. if you're free.
Antacus, I hope you can see that there are good dealers here, you just have to keep looking and you will find yours. I have been to the big ones over in Dallas, but I have to say, when I need heavy truck work in Dallas I go to Metro Ford Truck Sales in Irving. They are pretty good and will help you, but are very busy, so call ahead. PM me if you're interested and I will give you the service managers name... Mat

Old 01-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Antacus
Elder User
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like the better service depts are a bit west of me. Not really a major ordeal as long as they are good. I'll check out Metro Ford Truck Sales next weekend. It takes me about 40-50min to get over there so not an evenging trip.

I just saw in Sunday's paper Bankston Ford is offering $8k off MSRP (1k ford + 7k bankston) for all 05 SD Lariaets. Not sure until when or if it is a good deal. My guess is there are hidden fees in that somehow.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe the Ford dealer on west side of FW is Texas Motors Ford, don't confuse it with Texan Ford in Arlington; Texan Ford and Nichols Ford are AutoNation dealers.
I bought an '03 Expy from Texan and my '04 350 from them also--got the best deal at the time, it seemed--but there is no "personal service" attitude there--probably because I bought under XPlan. Luckily, I haven't had any problems with either truck to speak of--what little warranty work I've had done was done ok.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
bikerbobg
New User
I have had very good luck with Bankston Ford in Frisco, Tx.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Txfodiesel
Junior User
DO NOT GO TO TEXAS MOTORS FORD. They still dont have a clue about the 6.0. They also have to be the biggest bunch of liars i have ever dealt with. Wont get into all that but just trust me. Only 1 reason i go there is for the free oil changes i get. I have to carry some extra rags on me though so i can clean up all the finger prints and grease on my baby afterward. RICHARD, I hope your readin this, you dont need to be in customer service.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Busa Dave
Junior User
I have had real good luck with Payton Wright so far. Nothing big so far but have an oil leak near the oil filter but it is not the filter that needs to be fixed. Will be taking it back to Payton Wright. My next door neighbor bought a 05 F350 4x4 SRW last week and I don't know where he is taking it but it leaks oil and is getting 8 miles(actual not lie-o-meter) to the gallon! Bummer for sure but I will let you know how he come out!

Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Ok,
sounds like there's enough of usn to have a down right DFW get together !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll volunteer to have it at the new hacienda if we can come up with a plan !

Not TOO far from all corners of the metroplex and we have an 1/8th mile dragstrip about 5 miles from me we could have some fun @ !!!

Quick Reply: DFW area diesel dealership