Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v10 ford vs 8.1 chevy ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
car
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question v10 ford vs 8.1 chevy ?

Anyone know the pros and cons [ economy, performance, etc] between the two engines?

Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
V10MARS
Senior User
There was a tred on this recently. Use the search tab.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:02 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by car
Anyone know the pros and cons [ economy, performance, etc] between the two engines?
Here's the pro's, It's a Ford, it has great power, it's smooth, it will do exactly half 0-60 mph that the 8.1 will, while doubling the gas mileage and tripling it's life expectency at half the price.

here are the con's, once in a great while, somebody buys a V-10 powered truck that isn't up to the high standards that are required to own one. The other con; I'll get back to you after you submit your qualifications to the FTE board members for consideration,,,,,,,

Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I might add, something i know for sure.At least two of them are not as fast as mine.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by car
Both engines are proven designs made & designed by companies that have been doing it longer than any of us have been alive.

I think what surrounds the engine is more important and only YOU can make that decision on what to drive.

We can all sit here behind our computer screens in the comfort of our homes or offices and debate HP & Trq ratings, other internet postings on cold knock or spark plug ejections, engine life, or what somebody's brother-in-law's co-worker's sister's husband once heard about when visiting Omaha and talked to a guy at a diner whose cousin knew a guy that ....well...you get the idea...

Both are good. Drive one of each and see what YOU like. As far as engines go, I do not think that you can go wrong with either...depending on its intended mission.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:54 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsta
We can all sit here behind our computer screens in the comfort of our homes or offices and debate HP & Trq ratings, other internet postings on cold knock or spark plug ejections, engine life, or what somebody's brother-in-law's, co-worker's, sister's husband once heard about somewhere when visiting Omaha and talked to a guy at a diner whose cousin knew a guy that ....well...you get the idea...
I love the "my brother's, best friend's, ex wife's, father-in-law's other brother Darrell had 12 of his spark plugs pop out of his Ford truck all at once and Ford denied his warranty and his truck was durnt near brand new from fairly honest Bob's bar-b-q restaurant and Ford truck lot in Corinth Mississippi" ! I do appreciate a guy who posts; "this is the problem I had", "this is what's been done". At least you can make some sense of the story, although I have gone onto websites before and posted "I have this product", when I actually don't. But I have done it for someone who has no net access, or is too dumb to help themselves, so maybe I will be forgiven, maybe not. I have to say I have learned an awful lot here on this site, for whatever that's worth, Ken

Old 01-14-2005, 09:17 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think either of the two engines makes or breaks the truck. In other words, I wouldn't buy a Chevy or Ford based on the engine alone.

With Ford you get a Dana front solid axle, manual hubs, high ride height and clearance and for 2005 an available built in break controller.

With GM you get IFS, no manual hubs, and a frame clearance that's so low as to nearly render the truck useless for any serious off road work application.

Those factors are some of the things I appreciate with the Superduty line.

The V10 may not have quite the same low rpm torque as the 8.1L but that's the only advantage the 8.1L has, and it's a very small one. The 6.8L is overall more efficient. It makes more torque/HP per cc, gets better mileage and weighs less.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monstas got it right. you'll have to drive each to find out there pros and cons and your own personal prefrence. Its alway nice to have poeple around here with ther head screwed on right so this won't turn this into a big Flaming war, heck my kevlar suit is at the dry cleaners right now so........Anyway my brother in laws sisters husbands dogs best friend had a.... , no my brother inlaw has an 01' 8.1L no complaints other than his fuel mileage says he can't break 11mpg. could have something to do with the way he drives it though, if you know what I mean. I love my V10 and could list everything that is cr%$ on the 8.1 and that is great on the V10 but I won't because you can go to a GM web site and get the opposite response to the same question. It all comes down to YOU, drive what you feel is the better truck and youll be much happier (oh, by the way just to let you in on a little secert, THE FORD IS THE BETTER TRUCK!!! JK) there is a reason we are all at this site and it has to do with what we thought was a supiroir truck so pick what you want.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:00 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
496'S are some awesome marine engines, not quite sure why Chevy's dominate the marine market,because Ford makes very good marine engines also, but they do.Ford power can make even a V10 a marine engine.Now that would make a good ski-boat powerplant.I have heard that the 8.1's have an oil consumption problem,but since I have never owned one,cant say if that is true or not.I've always believed that the V10 with it's 72 degree firing order compared to a 90 degree firing order, the 6.8 is making power at a faster rate,meaning it has 2 more cyl's firing within the 720 degree cycle than a V8.So it's rate of delivery is better.Just like a 2 cycle makes power twice a fast as a 4 cycle,not saying it makes more power,just at a faster rate.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:21 PM
thosetwins
Junior User
496's

Actually I own two 496's they sit side by side in my 2004 29 baja outlaw they are an awesome motor. But Iam looking at a V10 in a 2005 F250 to pull that monster. GM for the water FORD for the road..

Old 01-15-2005, 05:45 PM
CTford
Senior User
Maybe this is a mistake to bring up, but what is that slapping sound under the hood of the 8.1L?? O yeah- PISTON SLAP!!! http://www.pistonslap.com

Old 01-15-2005, 06:41 PM
captchas
i think you may find gm is dumping the engines into mercruisers lap at or near cost, while they have used fords in the past merc. seems to be inlove with gm. take a look at http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...ngines/vortec/, maybe this web site can help out some are made in mexico!
i drove both before ordering my 05 v10, it out pulls the gm 8.1 , sorry i have to agree for now boat chevy, car or truck FORD . allthou how come most of the ski boats made have ford power? for the inboards

Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, so I've had a few but... The Ford V10 simply kicks a$$..... If you look at horsepower and TQ per liter that oddball V10 is getting it done. I better stop.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:38 AM
car
New User
Hey Ken 04 !! In responce to my thread, what do you mean by " the v10 will do half 0-60 what the 8.1 will do" and " the other con, i'll get back to you after you submit your qualifications to the FTE" ??????????? Did i miss something??

Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Btravelen
Elder User
The mags (Pop. Mech, Trucks) have done comparisons in the past, and the bottom line is that for 6.8L vs 8.1L the V10 performs as well or better.

The 3 valve 6.8 should be even better. I'd like to see it included in a current comparison.

The GM has the Allison which is a plus. Is the Torqueshift available with the 6.8 this year?

Quick Reply: v10 ford vs 8.1 chevy ?