Modular V10 (6.8l)  

I just brought home my new V10.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up I just brought home my new V10.

She's an 05 F350 CC FX4 LB Lariat V10. True Blue with Arizona Beige. I traded the identical truck 04 model except it had PSD motor and SB. I had problems with my PSD and I ordered this truck 8 weeks ago. I am really excited about this truck. It is a big sweetheart.

I just weighed it on a Government weigh scale and it is 200 pounds heavier than my 04. The PSD is a full 400 pounds heavier than the V10 so that means this truck with a PSD would be 600 pounds heavier than an 04 PSD SB. It is hard to take off in this truck without spinning the rear tires and it has LS 4:10s. The truck weighs 7414 pounds with me in it (190 pounds) and a full tank of gas.

I drove it approx 40 miles home over a mountain road and these are my feelings so far...

Steering and brakes, far superior to my 04.
Ride; better on smooth roads, a little harsher over rough stuff.
Power; quicker off the line but no where near the highway pulling power of the sick litre PSD.
You can barely hear the V10 idle but if you nail it it sure does sound like a ricer on steroids.
Drive by wire throttle feels like my 04. I think you get better response if you just push the go pedal reasonably. If you go pedal to the metal, I think you confuse the computer a little as both trucks will almost pause momentarily.

Looks wise, my 04 was a 9, this one is a 10. The wheel lip mouldings, body side mouldings, wheels, give this truck a little more class IMHO. Also I feel a CC LB is little more balanced looking then a CC SB.

The dash , I liked my 04 better. The small white guages look a little cheap to me. I havent seen the dash at night yet, hope I like it. The trip computer does more and I find it handier in the dash than up by the mirror. Seats, moonroof , exactly the same on both trucks, but I do like the black leather steerig wheel better on my 05. The 04 steering wheel was the same colour leather as the seats and showed the dirt too much.

All in all I am pleased with spending 3500 dollars which is the difference I paid. I just did not want to take a chance on another PSD. The V10 has less muscle but it is a proven design. I crawled under mine and it will be a dream to change oil and filter.

I will have to do a hand calculation on the mileage but coming home the truck computer kept rising and it hit 12.1 MPG. My sick liter has been showing 12.4 for most of the 9 months I owned it. Another reason I dumped it. My 95 and 2000 PSDs ran around 17. I hope the new 07 PSD is a mileage champ. Meanwhile I have 5000 extra bucks to help quench Babe's thirst for petrol. Thanks to Fredvon and all the posters on this website that helped me decide to try a V10. So far so good. Wrench.

Last edited by Wrenchtraveller; 01-29-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:07 PM
future10
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on your new truck! sounds really nice. how about some pictures I'd like to see that blue and tan together. What do you think of your bumpers being painted to match the two-tone instead of chrome?

Old 01-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
Congratulations! Wow, a CC Long Bed -- what a beast. But yet the True Blue / AZ Beige makes it a beauty -- I really like that color combo. Your comparisons between your two trucks are very interesting. Thanks for sharing -- let us know your continuing impressions.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/cheezieworld/P1290060.JPG - Just copy and paste it into your address bar, because angelfire will disable any direct links to pictures.

Thanks for the interest, Wrench.

Last edited by Wrenchtraveller; 01-29-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:52 PM
SMiller
Elder User
That thing is sharp! Good comparision between your old truck and new one, my friend had a '04 6.0 buyback and got a new '05 6.0 Kingranch, so far it has been MUCH better then his old one, I would still be a little worried, I tryed to talk him into the V-10, but no go, it does seem like the safe way out, for the money you can't go wrong! So the V-10 is stronger from a start but the 6.0 pulls harder on the highway? What else can you tll me about the power differnce? If you don't mind looking at something, what are your rpm's in od at 60mph?

Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
SMiller, I will give you the exact RPM at 60MPH tomorrow but I am guessing it is under 2000 RPM. This is a completely different beast than the 6.0 L PSD. Every 6.0 L I ever drove (all Stock) had turbo lag at first and then it is like a dam bursting.........hang on. If you want to leap off the line you had to hold with the brakes, give it enough throttle to spool up the turbo and then launch. I am so used to diesel dead pedal when I drove my new 05 V10 this morning for the first time, without even trying I laid a patch of rubber. This is with 4:10 LS so 4:30's must be wild. I decided to go with 4:10s because this truck is a daily driver for me. If I ever have the need for lower gearing I will go to a lower series tire. I have been told by several knowledgable people that by going to a 65 series tire it will have the same gearing as a 4:24 rear end and lower the truck 1 inch. That's fine with me. My wife and I are on the short side and these are tall trucks let me tell you. The 18 wheels make a difference. The tighter steering on the 05s is a huge difference. This monster truck feels very light and nimble compared to my 04 CC SB. The turbo lag and slow steering made it feel like a tank compared to this thing. In May I will be taking the identical business trip with my Camper on . This includes a long pull on 8% grades and my first stop always took 88 L of Diesel fuel so that will be a good trial for the V10. Right now I am paying 7 cents a litre less for 87 Octane gas than my Wholesale diesel cardlock is charging for Diesel fuel. When I got my first Diesel back in 94, diesel was almost 20 cents a litre cheaper than gas. Being a Diesel owner is closer to a religion than most people will ever know and I was as stubborn and as narrow minded as the worst of them. I post as Diesel Don over at dieselstop and going from a diesel to a gasser is about the same as a sex change in some people's eyes. You gotta love it, Wrench.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 AM
SMiller
Elder User
I love diesels myself, I can really understand where you are coming from! For me the V-10 just makes sense. I have really enjoyed my '00 5.4 and can't wait to place my order on a new V-10. The reason I asked about the rpm is because the '05's have taller tires on them, making the gearing a little taller as well, the new tires measure out to 33's where the old ones were 31's (275-70-18's vs 265-75-16's) wondering what that does to the cruise rpm, I will end up with 35's on mine and am trying to figure out my rpm, don't want a slugish truck, the 4.30's are $350 while the 4.10's come on the 350, while aftermarket gears would be around $1400+ installed, looking for that happy medium. Keep us up on milage and how the truck is running!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 AM
captchas
Thumbs up

wrench
good luck with her man,true blue and beige is one butifull combo. did you get the tan captains chairs also? i got the vin for mine and hope ford gets it built soon can't wait. mine will be f250 4x4 swb s/c true blue / tan chairs, v10, auto, 410 Ls and a load more,
every one here esp. fred have been so much help. and people like you who say the 10 is so smooth and powerful make me glad i found this site before hand, i also wanted a 2 tone but had to cut a few dollars here and there ,i can always get our paint man at work to do a set of ford flares as a 2 tone for me later. think it will look ok hope at least.
good luck again

Last edited by captchas; 01-30-2005 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
SMiller, I left the house this morning at 5:03 to take Babe for a ride. That's how much fun this thing is to drive. Anyway at 5:06 I look down and the temp. guage is at normal operating temp. The truck has been parked for 10 hours outside and it is about 45 F but that is incredible when you are used to a diesel's warm up. I carefully pegged her at 100kl which is 62 MPH and the tach shows 1925 RPM . I wish I could remember what Stinky was turning at that speed. I have renamed my 04 Stinky because his real name is not suitable for a family website. You have to give a truck a name and my new one suits Babe, the big blue Ox. I have a question for anyone with an 05 Lariat with the computer. Is it normal for the mileage indicator to constantly change. This morning I left it was 8.3 MPG. As I went down the highway it moved up to 12 fairly quickly. I did a long stretch of 40 MPG and it hit 16.5 MPH at one point. When you idle at the lights it starts dropping . I hope this thing is telling the truth. The computer on my 04 was completely different and you had to drive for 10 miles just to see a one point decimal change. This read out gives you a system check and everything is right in the dash , no looking up at your headliner to read your computer.

Capchas, I do not have the Captain's chairs . I think they are a little more comfotable but I need the ability to carry three people up front once in awhile. I think your idea of adding the Fender trim is a good one.

After driving diesel trucks for 11 years I find it hard to get used to a pickup that jumps from a standstill the way this thing does. You give it a little throttle and before you hear the motor rev, the back wheels are spinning. When I weighed the truck yesterday the front axle is 4334 pounds and the rear axle is 3080 for a total of 7414 pounds. That will give me a legal payload of 3786. How sweet is that. Love that 11200 GVW.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wrenchtraveller

Great posts and very cool ride!

I like your thoughts on handleing and totally agree the CC and Long wheel base seems so much better balanced.

The trip computer in mine gets reset every 5th tankfull. I found that initially it is recomputing a lot but over time it getts much more stable. I did the manual math for a year on my 01 V10 before I trusted the computer and just 2 months before I trusted the 05 fuel eat meter. both had an error on the high side compared to my manual math. The 01 manual was 13.4mpg over 5 tanks and the computer said 13.7mpg. The 05 (still under 6000miles) manual is 10.2 computer is 10.4. I don't manualy compute any more. In fact I shut down the mpg and now look at the hour meter.

I also think the gage cluster looks a little el cheapo in daylight and I hate the dimmer with dark day and lights on... but at night, I love the green numbers and red pointers. Isspro EV gauges can be had in the same colors and really make the truck cockpit look like a UH-I!

Old 01-30-2005, 09:21 AM
nisiar
Senior User
WT,
I am really enjoying your impressions (vicariously), please keep them coming!

Old 01-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Thanks Fredvon, and I would like to see a picture of your King Ranch . I would have loved to order the KR option but it pushed the truck out of my budget. Here in the land of "free medical" we pay 14 % tax on eveything so that made the KR a little steep. I love the seats on the KR. Now that is quality leather. Take care and thank you very much for all the info you have given this site . You know what you are talking about and you sold me on the V10. I hope I don't owe you commission, cause if I do we even pay taxes on that LOL. Good luck and send me a pic of that beast, Wrench.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Nisiar, thanks for the complement. I just looked up "vicariously' in the dictionary to make sure it was a complement. Yup, it was. I am going to go install my cheapo Rampage Alarm system today. I took it off my 04. It is set off my motion and it has gone off a couple of times late at night. Not sure it it was a cat jumping on the truck or some punk but it's better than nothing and simple to install. So long for now, Wrench.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:36 AM
RUBICON
Senior User
xlt superduty 05

hello fellows this is my 1st post i have on order a o5 xlt superduty v10 cc swb 4x4 v10/torqshift/4.30 ls gears dark shadow grey,capt chairs,6cd,full length boards that is due to be in about 3 more weeks pd 32,900. just wondering what did everyone else pay. wanted a lariat. does antone elseown an xlt. just seems like everbody owns a lariat. anyway my first mods are gonna be dunlop 35x12.50r17 mud rover tires,microtuner next and does any one know of agood sounding exhaust for the v10 i am looking for a catback back version that uses stock hangars. thanks and v10s rule

Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 AM
SMiller
Elder User
You must be getting a F-250 since the 350 has 18in. wheels. Good luck getting a V-10 to sound good, I like the motor but it seems to give a import sound no matter what you do. You will like those tires, I bought about 8 sets of those back in the day. Your truck will look good with the 35's. I am going to order a XLT, most people go for the Lariat, I just like the XLT, it IS a truck after all, lol Wrenctraveler thank you for the rpm check, trying to figure out what mine will be. The big blue ox does look good! Mine will be in the true blue as well.

Quick Reply: I just brought home my new V10.