2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ashtray rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:10 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashtray rattle

When my ashtray is closed, I can hear a rattle. When I touch it and hold onto it, it stops. It also stops when it is open (rarely as I don't smoke). I tried to small felt pads to the inside, but didn't help. It seems as if it is vibrating on the hinge itself. Anyone know how to fix?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
northbound350
Freshman User
Same problem....help? At first I thought it was the extra keys and change. Got tired of the little rattle and removed everything. Still rattles, and if I touch it lightly its as quite as a church mouse. And when its open - no rattle. I think there was an ashtry insert in there that I removed. I'm going to try putting that back and see if it changes anything. Just jogged my own memory, what a wonderful thing. Hopefully thats the ticket. I'll let you know.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TX-Import
Junior User
Thumbs up

A couple of us have this. I think one person noted a wiring harness behind there that was there culpret. I have not done any in depth looking but I believe if you remove the inner tray then it will stop. I tried that the other day and wwent down the same road and did not hear anything. I will put it back and give it a try. I emailed someone from one of ther threads to see what they did but they never replied. Keep us posted.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:17 PM
nutria rat
New User
Same problem here. My rattle is occurring with the insert tray removed, will replace the insert to see if that helps.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Glad it is not only me that has the problem. It sounds as if when the door is pushed shut, and it comes back out until flush with the dash until it stops, it is vibrating against this area? Hope someone figures it out.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
tcparry
Senior User
I wish I had the rattle problem.. My ash tray from new you could not get it open with out using your fingernails. It would not pop out from the closed position..Dealer put in a whole new assembly, everthing not just the tray itself. Worked good for aout a week, now same as before. I just leave it open and keep my Shoal can in it. But! no rattles open or closed.. Maybe the answer is to have Ford put in a tray like mine, one that just plain dosen't work..

Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
northbound350
Freshman User
I grabbed the insert this morning and dropped it back in. My rattle has diminshed almost 100%. I think I'm going to live with it, I just hate someone messing around on the inside of my truck. If the rattle works its was back, I thought about trying some of those round felt pads. Good luck to the rest of you rattlers.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
HOLESHOT1
Freshman User
I have that same rattle as well, with or without the tray installed. Only seems bad when its cold, though. I was going to try some felt stick on pieces but reading above, that didn't seem to do the trick. Just one of those little things that can seem to be SO annoying! If I come up with something, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
nutria rat
New User
I have also noticed that my ashtray rattle is much worse in cold weather. The rattle isn't bad at all on warmer days but gets very annoying when the temp drops below the 40s. I have to drive with the ashtray open on colder days, it only rattles when the tray is closed. Does anyone have any ideas why these rattles are worse in colder weather?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM
HOLESHOT1
Freshman User
It has something to do with the plastics expanding or contraction in different climates. My wife has an '03 Nissan Altima and one of the tweeter covers on the winshield pillar rattles like crazy in the cold. Once the inside warms up, rattle is gone. Told her just to turn up the stereo and it would go away. I think she bought it.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
jkobey1
New User
Thumbs down Same Thing Here

2004 screw 4X4, 35,000 miles. In the last 400 miles Mine has developed the same thing. I originally had some loose change in it. Removed the change, but it's still doing it. Guess i'll have to wedge a piece of paper in it. Sounds crazy for a $35,000 dollar truck!!

Old 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
bluegrasmtns
Freshman User
mine rattles as well, I traded in a toyota that didn't do this. Maybe Ford will issue a tsb, or maybe even a full recall. I'm taking mine back to the dealer and demand my money back because it is a lemon, so i can go buy a cheverlay.

GM never has problems, at least not ones they will admit to.

geterdone

Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
bluegrasmtns
Freshman User
sorry, im hoping most of the above posts were jokes, otherwise you people need to get out more, and quit spending so much time looking for crap to complain about on this board, its a good four wheel drive pickup and nothing more get over it

As a side note the Chevrolet thing concerned my wife's Malibu 3.1 v6, which ate intake gaskets at 37,000 miles on up (after warranty was up) to the time it was traded off at 65,000. I know of several that have done this, including pappy in laws Impala

Chevrolet: "this is odd, but it isnt common"

Old 01-27-2005, 06:18 PM
jkobey1
New User
Just Whining?

Maybe we are just looking for something to complain about, but I think that if there are 10 posts concerning the exact same problem, it might actually be something that Ford would want to look into. I thought that this was what this forum was about, was to share our experiences with our trucks, whether they be good, bad or otherwise, and if everyone just took the attitude to "just get over it" and accept it, there would never be any improvements on our vehicles. I went to a Ford Manufacturers new owners engineers survey, and this was exactly the type of issues that they were asking about. If Ford is going to brag about how quiet and luxurious their trucks are, these things should be brought to their attention. I don't think anyone is saying that they are not great trucks, this is my third F-150 and I have enjoyed all of them. KR

Old 01-27-2005, 07:16 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bluegrasmtns
sorry, im hoping most of the above posts were jokes, otherwise you people need to get out more, and quit spending so much time looking for crap to complain about on this board, its a good four wheel drive pickup and nothing more get over it

As a side note the Chevrolet thing concerned my wife's Malibu 3.1 v6, which ate intake gaskets at 37,000 miles on up (after warranty was up) to the time it was traded off at 65,000. I know of several that have done this, including pappy in laws Impala

Chevrolet: "this is odd, but it isnt common"
If this topic doesn't interest you, then move on. Don't criticize others who have a question or concern. That is what this forum is all about. I think you might be the one who needs to get over it.

Quick Reply: ashtray rattle