2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather wearing (no pun)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Peter530i
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather wearing (no pun)

Does anyone here have recent pics (or descriptions) of leather seats in higher mileage F-150s? Because of work requirements, I'm seriously considering an '05 Lariat Supercrew over a Z71 Suburban to replace my '02 BMW 530. I am curious how the leather looks over time. My 530 has 37K miles and the seats look brand new. I've seen Chevys with 20K miles with seats that are creased and beginning to crack. My dad has a 00 F-150 with 72K miles and the seats are completely cracked and brittle. Is that just a condition I have to live with in an American truck?

Old 01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Is that just a condition I have to live with in an American truck?[/QUOTE]
Oh please!! Leather last as long as the owner takes care of it! Sure, it will become brittle and have cracks in them if you don't take care of them, same with anything else! Don't Bash us by saying is that what you have to live with with AN AMERICAN truck! In my opinion, I wouldn't own any peaice of junk forign cars like you have as I just don't trust them! Leather will last though if you take care of it

Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 97 Lariat with leather seats and they are in great shape. The truck has 144k miles on it but then again, I clean the leather and put a conditioner on it to keep it soft and supple. You could always get a seat cover also. I, like you, have seen newer Chevy's with leather that is cracked also but then again, the leather needs care.
One other thing, that leather sure is cold in the winter when you first sit down on it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
lariatf150
Senior User
The following photo may as well have been from yesterday, because they still look exactly the same as this. I have 21,000 miles on my '04 Lariat and they look great. Don't slide on/off them and you'll be fine. I don't baby my seats. I wear jeans and I haven't cleaned my seats in over a month...maybe 2. They last just fine if given minimal care. You can't see the edge of the seat in this pic, but trust me, they aren't cracked or have color wore off them. Not at all!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Peter530i
Freshman User
Wasn't Bashing American

mjbesen310, I was not bashing American trucks by noting what I have seen with my own eyes. I owned a 97 Tahoe and had the same problems with the leather. It was pre-owned and I guess the owner had not taken care of it. I think the new F-150s are as cool as trucks get and tough as heck. I posted the question with no intention of bashing the F-150, You, or anyone else on this forum. As an aside, my 530 has been in the shop for unscheduled maintenance twice in 37K miles...once to adjust the passenger window track, and once to fix an A/C relay. Both times, I was given a brand new loaner to drive, and the car was ready the same day. This is my 5th BMW and all have been reliable and well built cars. Also, in 37K miles, I haven't needed to condition the leather once. I am sincerely interested in the F-150, so don't come down on me for posting a serious question.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjbesen310
Is that just a condition I have to live with in an American truck?
Oh please!! Leather last as long as the owner takes care of it! Sure, it will become brittle and have cracks in them if you don't take care of them, same with anything else! Don't Bash us by saying is that what you have to live with with AN AMERICAN truck! In my opinion, I wouldn't own any peaice of junk forign cars like you have as I just don't trust them! Leather will last though if you take care of it[/QUOTE]

I have to get back in on this. I owned a "junk forign" truck for 11 years, sold it with over 196,000 miles, and all I spent money on was for service, battery and starter in that 11 years. It was a Nissan! The guy that bought it from me sold it with over 225,000 miles on the engine and all he did in that time was replace the original clutch. Don't get me wrong....I love my Ford and if I can, someday I'll own a new one.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
I think mjbesen310 got rattled from his wreck earlier tonite and he is running on a little too much adreneline..............

I would hope that more money spent would equal better grade of leather, regardless of where the car was built or designed.

I think leather wear maybe more related to exposure to sun/ temperature changes and how the driver is using the seat. Like, are you a big person dragging the big caboose outta there, or are you a little spritely guy just hopping right out?

Old 01-05-2005, 08:50 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
Peter 530i:

In answer to your question, yes, the seats will wear reasonably well. However, as you are no doubt aware, the quality of the leather in a BMW or similar luxury-priced vehicle is superior to that of any of the many Fords I have owned. As others have previously noted, the leather in more expensive cars is treated/colored using a different and more durable process. I have found that dirt, grit, and abrasion are the enemies of our "leather seating surfaces." I try to keep mine as clean as possible and avoid sliding in and out.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Peter530i
Freshman User
Thanks Everyone

Your responses are encouraging. I'm already pretty compulsive about keeping my cars clean, so regular leather treatment is not out of the question.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
kbldawg
New User
Maybe the worn seats you are referring to, have something to do with the fact that they are installed in a truck. Trucks are synonomous with WORK. How many construction workers do you see driving a BMW to work everyday? Leather seats are great for looks, smell and trade-in-value, but they don't really go well with Carpenters, Drywallers, and Masonry fellows. Carharts are probably a little more rough on the seats than Dockers, not to mention the 250lb behemmith wearing them!

I imagine the big difference is how well you take care of your seats.

How bout those KING RANCH seats though!!!? Those are nice.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kbldawg
Maybe the worn seats you are referring to, have something to do with the fact that they are installed in a truck. Trucks are synonomous with WORK. How many construction workers do you see driving a BMW to work everyday? Leather seats are great for looks, smell and trade-in-value, but they don't really go well with Carpenters, Drywallers, and Masonry fellows. Carharts are probably a little more rough on the seats than Dockers, not to mention the 250lb behemmith wearing them!

I imagine the big difference is how well you take care of your seats.

How bout those KING RANCH seats though!!!? Those are nice.
Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Enjoy FTE
We are happy to have you on board!~