Aerostar Ford Aerostar

liftgate speakers wiring conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
psf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question liftgate speakers wiring conundrum

94 Aerostar - I've been trying to figure out the speaker wiring. The person before me replaced the stock radio. The deal is, there is a combination of wiring going on via and non-via the harness. The front speakers use the harness, the back speakers don't use the harness. The backs are wired directly to the radio's speaker wires. It's a wiring mess with some of the harness wires cut and some wires...well, it's too hard to explain. Bottom line, I can live with it because it works as it should for the four speaker setup, but the liftgate speakers aren't hooked up at all. I want to hook them up.

I've tried running down the liftgate speaker wires by poking on the harness using my multi-tester and checking continuity, but didn't have any luck. I've also consulted wiring diagrams and color codes, but the one's I found didn't match what I have in the stock harness. The original stock audio system also had an equalizer, but it wasn't wired with the aftermarket radio and I removed it.

My questions are this:

1. Do the liftgate speaker wires come all the way up to the wiring harness for the radio? If not, how did they connect into the system before?

2. I can pull panels and trace the liftgate speaker wires, but then how do I wire them into my current four speaker system? Should I run them in series with the back speakers so that I have two pairs of speakers on Back - Left and two speakers on Back - Right?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
psf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found this thread which answers my question about how the hatch speakers were wired into the original sound system:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=129046

so, since the aftermarket radio/cd player doesn't use the amp and rear passenger headphone controls, can I just rewire the hatch speakers in series with the left and right rear speakers?

Old 01-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The wires run up on the right side hatch, Then head down the left side and right to either the Fan and radio control in the rear if it has premium sound "Which it sounds like" since you have a EQ or the radio harness in the dash.

The wires change colors at the upper hatch connector.

I would put them on the rear speakers in the side. If you remove the driver side "Left" speaker in the rear you will see were the hatch speaker wires run past it to the rear.