2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Light Under The Hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
BOZE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Light Under The Hood

Hey there,I was wondering if any other '04 owners came without a light under the hood that comes on when you open it.Mine didn't.I sure do miss having one.I enquired to FORD about it,they said it was to save money.Because of all the changes and improvements they made to the new truck.Has any body else been wondering about this as well?

Old 12-19-2004, 01:08 AM
likalarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by BOZE
Hey there,I was wondering if any other '04 owners came without a light under the hood that comes on when you open it.Mine didn't...............Has any body else been wondering about this as well?
Mine has no light either, but I've been "in the dark" about modern motors for years, so it's okay. My keychain has a tiny light so I can find the spare tire at night.
Larry in SF, CA

Old 12-19-2004, 02:54 AM
asinatra
Senior User
Originally Posted by BOZE
Hey there,I was wondering if any other '04 owners came without a light under the hood that comes on when you open it.Mine didn't.I sure do miss having one.I enquired to FORD about it,they said it was to save money.Because of all the changes and improvements they made to the new truck.Has any body else been wondering about this as well?
What are you gonna do work on a efi, cop, w/ e-tb, best of luck, the only thing i need is the odb2 plug in bettwen my legs by my knees.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:14 AM
04fx4scab
Senior User
the bean counters got rid of them. gotta save a buck!

Old 12-19-2004, 08:47 AM
dewyrussler
Freshman User
Those penny-pinching bean counters got greedy!...they took away the light in the glove compartment, too!

Old 12-19-2004, 09:09 AM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Originally Posted by dewyrussler
Those penny-pinching bean counters got greedy!...they took away the light in the glove compartment, too!
Not only took away lights in the hood, glove compartment, they took lights away from the ashtry, and the 2 front doors!! I would have at least wanted lights that light up when I open my doors like the 97-2003 trucks, I think it's so much safer to have other cars see the lighted doors as you open them on the strret so your door doesn't get knocked off by passing cars not being able to see the reflectores that are now on the 2004-2005 trucks....but hey..look at what ford done to these trucks!! There GREAT!! I guess you always have to take the good and the bad with anything you buy.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:50 PM
c ball
Senior User
I posted on this supject in oct. right after I got my truck..I got one from a junk yard for 5 dollars..

Old 12-20-2004, 10:29 AM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Lightbulb Alil Help!

I too drive an 04' SCAB and its bright yellow...and it's missing lights. But come on guys do you need a light in the ashtray anymore....is it deep enough to put anything in? Well anyways there is a mod you can do to provide light in your glove box... well what I did i bought one of those 8" neon yellow lights and modified the rocker switch to turn it on when it is fully opened. I just tucked the light up under the dash near where the box clips to it with some 3m double sided mounting tape. BOZE your best bet is to carry a mini-maglite in your truck...from one truck owner to another if you need to do work on your truck, from personal expirience its best to do it in a home garage or during the day. I'll try to post some pics as my scanner is down...

Old 12-21-2004, 11:57 AM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the lights have been the biggest dissapointemnt to me. luckily the dome lights work great. I like the idea of aftermarket lights but i am afraid that if i tap in anywhere it will void my warranty. anybody know anyway around the warranty issue.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 PM
BBiffle
Junior User
Its a FORD, You shouldnt have to work on it in the dark. The only reason i've opened my hood is to check the oil and I do that in the daylight. My 91 f150 didnt have one either, i didnt need one, i'd drive it in my shop, fix what was broke, then drive it out. Well, i take that back, once i had to trailer it to get into the shop. Damned in tank fuel pumps.

Old 01-01-2005, 02:00 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
I don't mind that the hood light has been removed since it's fairly useless and I always carry a flashlight of my own. But I find it hilarious that it was removed to "save money." What did they save? A couple dollars, at most, for a couple feet of wire, bulb, socket and a cheap switch. I'm sure sales would have been way off if the MSRP was $2 more on a $30,000 truck.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:28 PM
BOZE
New User
I know theres nothing I could fix under the hood,but still would be nice to have one.When I brought it home ,my cousin wanted to have a look at MY NEW TRUCK.Of course it was getting dark by then.He loved the interior,and all the other changes they made.But,when it came to show him the new engine,there was nothing you could see.Then he made the comment ,"well thats kid of cheap".Which is true.You would think with all the bells and whistles they put in these new trucks ,they could have put the shiny lights in too.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
Originally Posted by PhrEEkSh0w
But I find it hilarious that it was removed to "save money." What did they save? A couple dollars, at most, for a couple feet of wire, bulb, socket and a cheap switch. I'm sure sales would have been way off if the MSRP was $2 more on a $30,000 truck.

According to Motor Trend Magazine, Ford sold 800,000 F-150 trucks in 2002.
Their popularity has not waned.
You do the math.

Mike

Old 01-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Ben Alston
Senior User
mine is a 04 supercrew lariat and it dont have the light in the glovebox or beside the mirror on the sunvisiors

Old 01-01-2005, 09:57 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mathwiz
According to Motor Trend Magazine, Ford sold 800,000 F-150 trucks in 2002.
Their popularity has not waned.
You do the math.

Mike

Why would I need to "do the math"? I never questioned sales or popularity of the Truck. You may be a "math whiz" but you might want to work on your understanding of sarcastic humor.

Quick Reply: No Light Under The Hood