6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Off road fuel/home heating oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 PM
wilba504
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off road fuel/home heating oil

Hi all,
I learned something new today, A co worker that also delivers home heating oil, off road and fleet diesel told me that there is no difference between home heating oil, off road diesel and regular diesel. He says it all comes out of the same pipe. Red dye is added to heating oil and off road fuel to show no tax is paid on them.
I got to wondering more about this last week when the town I work for got its first 6.0l for its highway fleet, the towns uses red dyed fuel for it whole fleet and its tractors and mowers. I mentioned what it says about off road fuel in the owners manual and I was told the fuel was the same. They will be running the dyed fuel in the new truck. I dont know how ford will handle the warranty if truck goes in for a problem, guess we`ll see, take care. John

Old 12-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
The dye is the only difference these days. If they are legitimately running dyed fuel (which maybe a town fleet is allowed to do? Certainly the mowers and tractors are legal.) then Ford should have no problem with it. I'm not sure why they put that statement in the manual, maybe just to help limit scofflaws? (As if the gargantuan fines from the feds aren't enough reason not to evade that law!)

Duncan

Old 12-09-2004, 10:16 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
I suggest you read:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM..._Fuels_FAQ.asp

"Why shouldn’t I just use Diesel Fuel No. 1?
While Diesel Fuel No. 1 has an advantage in low temperature operability, there are some disadvantages, as well. The energy content of Diesel Fuel No. 1 is about 95% that of Diesel Fuel No. 2 and will provide a correspondingly lower fuel economy. Diesel Fuel No. 1 is also lower in viscosity and provides less lubrication for the fuel pump and fuel distributor.

What are the differences among diesel fuels, heating oils and kerosenes?
Diesel fuels, heating oils and kerosenes are all products distilled from crude oil. While they are similar, there are some critical specification and legal differences among the products that normally prohibits using them interchangeably. These differences come about because their respective applications differ; diesel fuels are used in internal combustion engines, heating oils in oil burners and kerosenes are used in lamps and non-vented heaters. In addition to these differences, the products are subject to different tax laws. A few of the differences are highlighted below.

Diesel fuels have cetane specifications to assess combustion properties in diesel engines. They are also exposed to outdoor temperatures and relatively fine filtration. The most common measure for low-temperature fluidity is the cloud point. Neither heating oils nor kerosenes require cetane number or cloud point specs. In the United States, heating oils and kerosenes are not taxed as are over-the-road diesel fuels. To distinguish them, with a few exceptions,

the IRS requires that they be dyed dark red."

Most municipalities are not 100% Federal tax extempt agencies.
"In the United States, heating oils and kerosenes are not taxed as are over-the-road diesel fuels. To distinguish them, with a few exceptions, the IRS requires that they be dyed dark red.
"

The other fuel manufactures say pretty much the same things.

Here in Washington, I'm told it's a pretty hefty fine per gallon of red fuel in the tank of a truck driven on theroad.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
redmt77
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would stay away from the red stuff, even though you may be in a private vehicle(non-commericial) you can still be pulled over by the DOT for a fuel check if they suspect you might be running dyed fuel. From what I hear it's a pretty hefty fine.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redmt77
I would stay away from the red stuff, even though you may be in a private vehicle(non-commericial) you can still be pulled over by the DOT for a fuel check if they suspect you might be running dyed fuel. From what I hear it's a pretty hefty fine.
This is absolutely true, but the original poster says this 6.0 truck in question is part of his local municipal fleet, which runs nothing but dyed diesel. I'm assuming they do so legally. If they are illegally using dyed diesel in their road vehicles just because that's what they have around for their off-road vehicles, they'll be looking at some huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fines. The fines start in the thousands just to punish you, and then they also back-figure how much tax you escaped and make you pay all that back too. So a municipal fleet that's been doing that for years is looking at a gargantuan fine. But again, I'll assume unless told otherwise that his fleet is doing it legally - I know nothing about the rules for municipal fleets and fuel taxes.

The feds often set up roadblocks to catch private pickups running dyed fuel, in "target-rich environments" like rodeos, livestock auctions, etc. It simply isn't worth the risk - pay your taxes like you should, folks.

Duncan

Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
RJB1
Elder User
With all that said, As a side questions can I run diesel through my kerosine 50,000 BTU heater? I always have diesel on hand.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RJB1
With all that said, As a side questions can I run diesel through my kerosine 50,000 BTU heater? I always have diesel on hand.
Probably, but if you paid road tax on that diesel, you're sending a bunch of money up in smoke! And the IRS doesn't come slap you with a big reward for that, oddly enough...

(I bet diesel would burn smokier than kerosene, though - anyone?)

Duncan

Old 12-10-2004, 11:17 AM
RJB1
Elder User
What I was looking at is, I don't know of any local place near me that has bulk Kerosine. If I buy it in the 5 gal jug its about 4.00 per gallon. Diesel is 1.95 per gallon.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:54 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brother used to burn a kerosene heater in his house. There was an oily residue all over everything, walls, furniture, etc. I wouldn't burn the diesel in a kerosene heater. I would imagine the orifices would clog up (the heater's orifiices) and I bet there would be some visible smoke.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I was told by a fuel distributor friend of mine that the red dye is photo sensitive. You can actually pour some out into a container that will allow it to be exposed to sunlight and presto a day or two later it looks just like regular fuel.

Not that I would ever do that as it sounds like quite a pain to avoid 10 or 15 cents per gallon, but it would be interesting to hear if it works from someone who has ready access to the red stuff.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:08 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

RJB1: What type of heater is it? If its a Monitor or Toyo then Diesel #1 or Kerosene is fine. Both are listed in the manual. As for other brands not sure. If it is not listed in the manual be careful.

As for the city using dyed fuel. I would assume that as long as they are driving on state or federal funded roads then they should also be paying the tax. Just my opinion and assumption.

Worst case the feds love those with deep pockets.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frobozz
The dye is the only difference these days. If they are legitimately running dyed fuel (which maybe a town fleet is allowed to do? Certainly the mowers and tractors are legal.) then Ford should have no problem with it. I'm not sure why they put that statement in the manual, maybe just to help limit scofflaws? (As if the gargantuan fines from the feds aren't enough reason not to evade that law!)

Duncan
I was under the impression that the red fuel has a higher sulfer content.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crash687
I was under the impression that the red fuel has a higher sulfer content.
That used to be the case, but as the original posters pointed out, these days in almost every case it's the exact same fuel that they just toss some dye into at the depot.

Duncan

Old 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
wilba504
Senior User
I questioned my coworker alittle more today and found out that he specifically asks for low sulphur fuel when loading up and the dye is added there.
So i guess you can still get high sulphur fuel. I dont think he knows as much about the fuels as he tries to let on. Sorry for my possible misinformation.

The town does use red fuel for its fleet, there must be an exemption for municipalities, I dont think they would take a chance on fines. We haul over the road with the dump trucks and are subject to being checked for safety and weight checks like everyone else so there is no doubt that we would get checked eventually and the tanks dipped. Sorry again, I will keep everyone up to date on how the towns new 6.0 runs on red fuel, take care, John

Last edited by wilba504; 12-10-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:22 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
its just a way for uncle sam to get more money, dont get me wrong, i love this country, but i also believe in the idea of taxation without representaton

Quick Reply: Off road fuel/home heating oil