General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Parents go on strike

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parents go on strike

Their kids didn't want to help out around the house so they went on strike.

Heres the story

It's having some effect, their one daughter did start washing her laundry.

- Chris

Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking cooperation and respect! Phooey! They need to go to jail for neglect. Aparently the parents are'nt doing thier job or they would'nt have this problem.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
seems like the parents are acting more childish then the 17 and 12 year olds.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with the parents but..........

In this day & time, that would be considered child abuse.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Cliffdog
Freshman User
i cannot see it being abuse, or neglect..you guys kill me...
they got a couple of lazy kids....you can tell em to do it till your blue in the face..ultimatly, ya cant hit em to make em do it..you can take away privilages and ground em..but if they ignore that..what do you do..i mean my kids listen..but i have friend whose 11 year old will tell ya to, well you know..his pops whacked him in the rear..and spent the night in county..
so they might wear dirty jeans and miss a meal..big whoop

Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
I agree with the parents. Abuse and neglect? Hardly. The kids are 12 and 17. If those kids can't be bothered to pick up after themsleves, then it IS a problem. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask those kids to share the housework load. The 17 yr old is definitely old enough to cook, so they wouldn't even have to miss a meal.

Count me in, Cliffdog.

Last edited by AeroPA; 12-08-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
heavnbound
Elder User
I'll have to side with the parents on this one too. As it was said, you can't discipline your kids "the old fashioned way" without running the risk of child abuse (as stupid as that seems), so you have to find another way to get through to them.

Going "on strike" like this seems to me to be an answer...maybe these kids will be forced to start pulling their weight around the house if they go hungry a night or tow and have to wash their own clothes. Send the kid to school or work in dirty smelly clothes and let peer pressure do it's thing!

At least by going on strike, the parents are up front about the matter and there is no sneaking around and covering up like in real child abuse cases.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If it was me, I would them kids out of the house as well

Okay, flame away

Old 12-08-2004, 08:22 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
I agree 110% right after they get their butts kicked!

Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Harmening
Senior User
The parents are childish??? Gimme a freakin' break!! Maybe you don't have children. Sometimes you have to come down to their level of understanding to get them to understand the point that you are making. I think this is perfect, let the kids understand how much work it takes to get by every day. My wife's parents did almost the same thing when she was feeling rebelious in her days. I'm proud to say that my wife is one of the most mature adults on the planet...and she always refers to her parents last ditch effort to get their point across. Bottom line is, sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. That whole immaturity thing is a complete waste of breath.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
yes, there comes a time when you have to take some PERSONAL RESPONSABILITY, abuse and neglect my foot! sometimes lessons are best learned the hard way, how else are they going to expect to make it in the real world unless they learn to pick up after / feed / launder for themselves?........end of rant. Dave

Old 12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like another typical case/example of bad parenting. Allowing meager children to have everything and run the show evidently caught up to them (the parents). Parents seeking cooperation and respect from their kids????? What ever happend to "honor thy mother and father". Oh, the parents didn't instill that notion in their kids early on. Mommy and daddy made their bed and now it's time to sleep in it. I hope mommy and daddy have a very nice campout in their front yard. I also hope the weather turns cold, windy, and rainy down there.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 12-08-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Harmening i have two kids(14 and 16)and i've had full custody of them for the last eight years. I'll admit its been tough but they do what their told or face the consequences.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
I agree with these parents. Wiz, unfortunately, all kids these days aren't like yours. I've met your girls and you've done well with them. You've also been one of the lucky ones that hasn't had to go through the "HE double LL" like some of us have. I found out the hard way from the first time my kid broke into our house at the ripe old age of 14 (after being a reported runnaway since 12) that it was technically his house so he wasn't really breaking in and the stuff he stole was technically his too since it was in his house. We were required to provide a roof and food no matter what. We moved the majority of our valuables out of our home until well after the kid turned 18 - figuring that there would be some other way the courts would screw us.

It looks strange for the parents of these kids to be outside rather than locking the kids out, but finding out the hard way as Steve & I did, that's about all they can do. Kids are given way too much "stuff" these days and way too many rights. BTW, I'm an advocate for "Parent's Rights".

They find out all too quick how easy it is to run the entire household their way.

Sorry guys - sore subject with me........................

Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
For those of you coming down on the parents, let's hear how you would handle the situation.

Let's assume the parents weren't very good disciplinarians, but they woke up and started trying to correct their mistakes. Maybe they are doing the best they know how and it wasn't working. Sometimes the novel approach does get results.

So, the scenario exists at present: the kids are lazy and won't help around the house, no matter how you try to reason with them, or "ask them nicely". Tell us how you would fix it. What's been done is done, how would you fix it now? This isn't meant to criticize anyone in particular, I'm just interested to know how else these folks should have handled this.

I seem to remember hearing about some parents doing this same thing a while ago, can't remember when it was.

Last edited by AeroPA; 12-08-2004 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Parents go on strike