6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

05' Brake Controller Doesn't Work For ...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
My4x4Toy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' Brake Controller Doesn't Work For ...........

FYI, the electronic Trailer Brake Controller, TBC as they call it, does not work with electric-over-hydraulic brake systems. I do not recall reading that in any of their literature but they do print it in the manual. Problem is I bought the truck before I read the manual. Now the option I had to have is useless for towing my boat. Does anyone know if an electric-over-hydraulic system can be converted to a surge brake system?

Note to self: change signature, 05 F-250 LARIAT CC 4X4 SB DARK STONE w/ ARIZONA BEIGE ACCENT

Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 PM
jaybe
Senior User
Surge brake as in the weight of the trailer pushes (at the hitch) a plunger/brake fliud reservoir that activates the trailer brakes?, or am I not only barking up the wrong tree..... I'm not even the forest?!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:15 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use it as an excuse to the wife why you need a NEW boat and trailer

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 PM
reel_scream
Junior User
I second that!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 PM
My4x4Toy
Freshman User
Boats new and trailers new. Yes I am thinking of changing it to surge brakes as you describe so I do not need to use or modify the brake controller.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 PM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
My question is what does it matter if it is straight electric or electric/hydro? It is just sending a signal to the brakes or a on the ele/hydro signal to an accuator isn't it? Then the accuator pushes on a master cylinder....I guess I don't know why it wouldn't work. Have you tried it yet? Let me know if you have, cause I was looking at converting my surge to electic/hydro because the surge keep failing. Don't want to waste my money converting.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:29 PM
My4x4Toy
Freshman User
I have tried it. It does not work. The one Ford is using is supposedly made by Prodigy and is not compatible with electric over hydraulic brakes. I did not know that when I bought the truck. I went to a trailer dealer today to have the axles serviced and to see what I could do. He said I could add a magnet in the brake system to make the digital contoller work, but he would not recommend doing that on a boat trailer because it is submerged in salt water and would not last. My other option is to add a surge actuator and make it a complete surge brake system. The cost of the conversion is about 450.00. I too have had a lot of problems with surge brakes in the past. I liked the way the electric over hydraulic brakes worked and the adjustability of using the controller. Driveing home from the trailer dealer today I realized I need a trailer brake system that works. Even these heavy trucks have a hard time stopping 9000# + on their own. I guess I have all winter to think about it.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
05F250Fan
Freshman User
Originally Posted by My4x4Toy
Boats new and trailers new. Yes I am thinking of changing it to surge brakes as you describe so I do not need to use or modify the brake controller.
Problem is, you can't use weight distributing hitch with surge brakes. That's the reason elect/hydralic brakes were invented. I'd work with Ford to see if they can make the Tow Command work. I towed with it and really liked it.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:14 PM
johnsjmc
Freshman User
Wouldn,t it be simpler to add an aftermarket brake controller designed to work with your trailer than to try to modify the trailer or factory controller?

Old 12-03-2004, 08:15 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Try calling Prodigy, and see what they think...

Old 12-15-2004, 03:14 AM
elr4875
New User
I currently pull a foutain 31, and had a 25 foot mako and a 28 ft grady white before all with surge brake's. I have never had a problem with them, but you do have to make sure that you wash them out good, brake's and caliber's or rust can make them less effective. Only trouble is backing up if you have a wheel against a curb or in a pothole. You can lock the brake's on the trailer. The trailer I have now has a wire that is connected to the backup lights and when they are on the brake's are locked open. Just my thought but personally I really like the surge brake's.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnsjmc
Wouldn,t it be simpler to add an aftermarket brake controller designed to work with your trailer than to try to modify the trailer or factory controller?
Exactly my thoughts. Are the brake controllers for elec over hyd terribly expensive?

Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 PM
My4x4Toy
Freshman User
It would be cheaper to install a second controller. I wanted the built in one because it was "built in". I don't want to add a second one and also have to add another 7 pin connector in the rear. As far as weight distribution, I don't need that with a boat trailer. The engines hanging off the back take a lot of the weight off the tongue. I don't know how many trailers come with this electric over hydraulic sytem. I had never heard of it until my new boat trailer came with it. They did not offer me a choice when I ordered the trailer. I have pretty much decieded to change over to surge brakes, I just wanted others to know about this problem. It's not a total waste, I have a travel trailer that has electric brakes.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
FORDRULZ666
Freshman User
elr4875 where did you get the kit for the brakes to make the stay open while backing up. My dads 95' F150 has fun backing up our boat up the slitest incline.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:14 PM
norwhaler
New User
I tow boats quite often and I suggest that you convert to Kodiak disc brakes and use a surge actuator that has the integral backup solenoid switch(Atwood makes a good one). I recommend buying Kodiaks cadmium plated rotor with the integral hub and the stainless steel caliper kit. For a boat that size you should be installing 12' brakes on at least two axles. The disc brakes are much easier to keep working as they are easier to wash--and they stop great. That is why we have them on our trucks!

Royce

Quick Reply: 05' Brake Controller Doesn't Work For ...........