2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 PM
79REK
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my truck for about 5 months before the wind noise started coming from the windshield area one day. l decided to try to find where the noise was coming from for myself before taking it to the dealer. I ran a peice of masking tape along the bottom of the metal trim piece that runs across the top of the windshield (covering the gap between the trim piece and the glass) and the noise completey went away. So, I went to the dealer and told the service writer exactly what I had found. When I picked the truck up, they said that they had heard the noise and resealed the windshield and that took care of it. Well, apparently they didn't drive the truck after they did the work because the noise was still there. I took a look at what they had done when I got home. They only ran sealant across the top of the windshield on the inside of the truck (I could smell the sealant inside the truck) and didn't touch the outside of the windshield where I had found the source of the problem.

The old saying "If you want the job done right, do it yourself" came to mind (and I was leaving town in the truck on a long trip the next morning) so I decided to fix it myself. I ran a very small bead of black silicone in the gap between the metal trim piece and the windheild and the noise completely went away. This bead is probably only 1/16 wide so it is nearly impossible to see and there was no cleanup. If it shrinks over time and starts making the noise again, I'll just take 5 minutes and run another bead, that is unless Ford comes up with a more professional fix to the problem......

Old 01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
bwep
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Ftkcignusx1, well it’s a good thing I don’t write repair manuals for a living. Let me go thru this using your terms. When I stated seal under neath I meant under the "rubber molding". Then fill on top of rubber molding closing the gap. At this point you should have no gap between the "decorative molding" and roof line. All repair takes place under and on top of "rubber molding". Also when I injected silicone under rubber molding it was undetectable by eye. As for the black silicone on top of rubber molding, the job came out real nice, all most looks factory. My truck is black that might also help with the look. I’m unclear on your fix. Is your wind noise gone? Also I think the silicone will last a long time, they use silicone to install the windshields from the factory. Next time your at the dealership take a look at the F-250 gasket around window .That gasket looks like a good fix for F-150"s. As for Ford changing to something like that I’m not sure that will happen. Our problem doesn’t seam as wide spread as the dreaded vibration problem. I’m thankful I don"t have to deal with that problem. Well I hope this clears it up for you let me know.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
bwep
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
79rek Amen

Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 AM
79REK
Junior User
BTW, I ran a very small bead of black silicone between the trim piece and the glass. I didn't pull the trim piece up or anything, just sealed the gap. I also didn't put any silicone under or around the rubber seal above the trim piece.

Last edited by 79REK; 01-23-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
ftkcignusx1
New User
Originally Posted by 79REK
BTW, I ran a very small bead of black silicone between the trim piece and the glass. I didn't pull the trim piece up or anything, just sealed the gap. I also didn't put any silicone under or around the rubber seal above the trim piece.
To all those concerned. This is the same fix (except used clear silicon) I had done at the dealer. No reason I couldn't have done this myself.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Golddig
New User
Hello lariatf150,
The noise , was it like an elk call ,and did the noise go away when you repaired it.
Thank-you

Old 03-24-2005, 02:11 PM
ELO168
Junior User
just got the truck back from dealer yesterday
first thing i did was to get on the freeway
surprise the wind noise still there
however i still have to find out if the water leaks have been taken care of or not.
will keep you guys posted
thanks/edmond

Old 03-25-2005, 01:44 PM
jjohn85
New User
wind noise is back

My wind noise is back - it's been steadily getting worse over the past month or two. I'm due for an oil change and am having some shudder when I accelerate through turns from a stop so I'll be in the shop anyway. Hopefully they can figure something out this time. If not, I'm going to have at it myself as you guys have described.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Cincy F150
Senior User
The piece on the top of the windshield catches the wind. I put a piece of masking tape over the piece and the noise disappeared. I will be using black silicon sealant to seal it as soon as the weather warms up.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Yes, I also have the excessive wind noise.I just know Ford's are known to have this problem(both cars and trucks).I am going to have them look at mine.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
dleonard888
Junior User
got mine back from dealer, they said they took same make and model off the parking lot and drove it. it had the same amount of wind noise, therefore they called it normal. but i will twll you this, I have been in other F150's and it's not normal

Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
cowpix
New User
Cool

I have the wind noise as well. '04 s-crew. My truck is fine until I hit 65-70 mph. the noise will be on one side or the other, upper corner of windshield. Which side the noise is on is determed by outside wind direction. Occasionlly, there will be some noise top center of windshield. Very annoying. Otherwise, great truck!

Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Welcome cowpix! You will find the people in here to be the most helpful. Great site, with great people, talking about great vehicles.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:31 AM
ELO168
Junior User
just got the truck from the dealer today
suprise the wind noise still there, actually is even worst now then before
the dealer change to a new windshield and claim it should take care of the problem
guess not, not to mention glass where all over the truck
how many times would it takes before the dealer give up and buy back your truck?
does it have to be the same dealer where it was purchased from?
thanks

Quick Reply: wind noise