1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 with an Explorer frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
BTW Kevin, what made you dig up and bump up this one?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8751158

Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Like most frame swaps, this one got off to a roaring start, but doesn't seem to have ever been finished. This is the reason I may seem to be anti frame swaps, they ain't no pieceo'cake project. Stripping everything down and setting the cab in place is the easy part, the millions of details, fabrications, and melding that need to happen after that is when most first timers find themselves in way over their heads and the project dies a slow sad death.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:03 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Like most frame swaps, this one got off to a roaring start, but doesn't seem to have ever been finished. This is the reason I may seem to be anti frame swaps, they ain't no pieceo'cake project. Stripping everything down and setting the cab in place is the easy part, the millions of details, fabrications, and melding that need to happen after that is when most first timers find themselves in way over their heads and the project dies a slow sad death.
Hi Ax,
Actually he did finish it and I have seen pictures of it. He even used the floor pan and fire wall from the Explorer. That was probably a lot harder than the frame swap. the last I communicated with him he had it out and running but had not come up with a good solution for the gas tank filler tube and cap.

Here is the picture from his gallery:

Later Man...

Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Cool, I'd love to see more pictures. My concern is still for the novice with very limited skills and equipment wanting to do a frame swap vs updating the OEM chassis. The major reasons for wanting to do it are typically "I have (or can get cheap) this XYZ donor" or "I was told it was easier/cheaper than upgrading the OEM chassis" or "the OEM chassis is not strong enough to handle my planned straight 5 fireball engine with 6 additional gerbils powerplant", or "the magazines say that any old shell can be bolted to an S-10 chassis in a weekend by 3 hamfisted guys fueled up on a keg of beer and a stack of pizzas". Even a finished example like this one without a detailed journal of everything that went into it, the comprimises that were needed and the skill level of those that built it, is as deceiving as a custom/hotrod can be built in a week, they do it on Overhaulin' all the time.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
WELL SAID AX!

That was funny, and true, .....................ironic that they usually go together. Well done mate!

It would be very unfair to have a fake post with all the details and instructions of a no hassle two hour transplant on to a Yugo car chassis wouldn’t?

Last edited by Old F1; 04-10-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Cool, I'd love to see more pictures. My concern is still for the novice with very limited skills and equipment wanting to do a frame swap vs updating the OEM chassis. The major reasons for wanting to do it are typically "I have (or can get cheap) this XYZ donor" or "I was told it was easier/cheaper than upgrading the OEM chassis" or "the OEM chassis is not strong enough to handle my planned straight 5 fireball engine with 6 additional gerbils powerplant", or "the magazines say that any old shell can be bolted to an S-10 chassis in a weekend by 3 hamfisted guys fueled up on a keg of beer and a stack of pizzas". Even a finished example like this one without a detailed journal of everything that went into it, the comprimises that were needed and the skill level of those that built it, is as deceiving as a custom/hotrod can be built in a week, they do it on Overhaulin' all the time.
Ax,
you can CLICK HERE and see a series of pics from his build. I think he did as real nice job so far as I can tell from the pictures. A link to his gallery was given earlier in this thread.

While I share some of your concerns about how some people might have gone about doing some of the worst jobs you have ever seen, and I doubt that Dave is in that class. I believe I recall him saying it took some time, so it wasn't just thrown together. Given the fact he actually put the cab on the floor pan and firewall assembly, this job was more of a body modification than a frame swap considering he put the cab and bed on an existing engineered platform. There is a part of me that really wonders if Dave has decided to stay away from the FTE because of a lot of the stuff that gets said here.

Later Man...

Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i dug it up cause of all the frame swap talk . i'm playing devils advocate and figured i'd show them the door to a nice finished one . this way we aren't just discouraging those insane enough to say what the he-- and go for it . it can be done and wish the hades i woulda kept mine to finish it and prove the naysayers wrong , she was almost there . i might jump in it again later .... but tommorrow i got to go look at another derilict .... a 52 2door ford , sage green , has all the original upholstery , with no tears rips etc. flathead v-8 and three on the tree . been in the garage since 72 , just started and rolled in and out to get access to the garage , the only rust is in the rockers i'm told . a chevy / corvette guy / postmaster in a town is his neighbor and we shoot the crap all the time . $ 2500 so ....... i'll have a stablemate for bessie i hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Never can have too many old Fords...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
nope !!!! but the wife does a little of this occassionally as i'm prone to dragging a whole lot of 'em home if things are right !!!!!!!!!!! make a nice driver whilst bessie is being worked on ... haven't figured out what i'm gonna do with the thunderbird yet ...................

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dave boley
Ax,
you can CLICK HERE and see a series of pics from his build. I think he did as real nice job so far as I can tell from the pictures. A link to his gallery was given earlier in this thread.

While I share some of your concerns about how some people might have gone about doing some of the worst jobs you have ever seen, and I doubt that Dave is in that class. I believe I recall him saying it took some time, so it wasn't just thrown together. Given the fact he actually put the cab on the floor pan and firewall assembly, this job was more of a body modification than a frame swap considering he put the cab and bed on an existing engineered platform. There is a part of me that really wonders if Dave has decided to stay away from the FTE because of a lot of the stuff that gets said here.

Later Man...
I never said that Dave was in that class, quite the opposite in fact, he obviously knows what he is doing and has the skills necessary to finish the job. I just wish he would have continued the narrative and pictures of the rest of the build in process so others could better understand what is involved so they could better judge if they were up to the task before they started cutting.
If Dave hasn't been back because of the stuff that gets said HERE, which is typically just some of us expressing our opinions and presenting opposing viewpoints to promote thought and dialog, nothing venemous, then he has an awfully thin skin and really needs to stay away from most places on the internet like the HAMB etc. I took a lot of grief about my engine choice when I first arrived all proud of my new truck, some of which was pretty vicious, but I ignored those comments because there was a lot of others who were offering a lot of good info and commeraderie.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
If Dave hasn't been back because of the stuff that gets said HERE, which is typically just some of us expressing our opinions and presenting opposing viewpoints to promote thought and dialog, nothing venomous, then he has an awfully thin skin and really needs to stay away from most places on the internet like the HAMB etc. I took a lot of grief about my engine choice when I first arrived all proud of my new truck, some of which was pretty vicious, but I ignored those comments because there was a lot of others who were offering a lot of good info and camaraderie.
Hi Ax,
I have no idea what the real reason is why Dave did not stick around the FTE. In my PMs and E-mail with him there never was anything said that actually would lead me to believe that what was said here had anything to do with it. I said that because I do think there are people who do say things in their posts that are to say the least, uncalled for. You are quite correct in pointing out that there are other places like the HAMB which are really bad about that sort of thing. Even if this factor did play a part in his not being around the FTE anymore, I would have to think it would be more a matter of being disgusted as opposed to being thin skinned as you put it. I for one have cut back quite a bit due to some of the stuff that goes on here. Granted, there are a lot of folks on here that do some great work and really know their stuff, none the least which is you for example. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the few who don't and are always complaining and criticizing, ruin it for the the majority. I spent forty years working in heavy industrial electrical construction and there isn't anyplace for thin skinned people there. I've heard it all and probably more than most because I never fit the stereotypical mold there. So, there isn't much anyone can say that matters that much to me. However, I can tell you that I considered a lot of it to be a waste of time and quite frankly disgusting. I personally react much in the same way about some of the stuff on here.

Sure, there is a lot I see on here that I question the reasoning of or the safety and validity of. However, there are many reasons why I don't criticize. If I did no one would care, least of all the person that posted the work. As you pointed out about Dave's project, you didn't get to see or read enough about it to really learn about all you wanted to know. Going by what was posted, there is no way to really know enough to make any real assessments about the quality of work. That is why I PM or e-mail these guys. I ask the questions that are not answered in their threads.

You mentioned the grief you took over your engine choice. That is a prime example of what I find rather pointless and really a waste of time. It was your project and what you wanted to do. I didn't read it, so I have no idea what was said. If I had to guess, I would have to say the criticism was most likely based on biased opinions and had little to do with actual fact. That crap turns me off simply because it is pointless and detracts from the discussion to the point where it has nothing to do with the subject. I have found that most people who say this sort of stuff, never really do anything and most of them can't. Another thing that really gets me are the ones who are self proclaimed experts on everything. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that the more you know, the more you realize you don't know everything. My point here is that many people are way less offended by these fools than they are just plain disgusted and no longer want to wast time with them.

All the above said, I want to emphasize that the FTE is probably one of the better places for encountering less crap. They do try to police it but that usually just covers the use of out and out slurs and bad language. Unfortunately there is no fair and impartial method for eliminating the other uncalled for stuff.

While writing this post I wandered if old Dave isn't just sitting back and lurking as an unregistered guest and getting a good laugh out of all this.

Later...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having worked with Dave Hough for 10 years in Md ; I can tell you he goes from project to project. I emailed him last night and he says he sold his 55 wagon, bought a 2006 Vette that does 12.7s @ 113 mph, has cut up his fox Mustang to rat it his own style, and, yes, he still has the '56 and drives it around. The other project I remember was his convertible Trans Am made from a hard top. I told him that his thread was alive again but I don't know if he will reply on here.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
houghda
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Baack!

Hey FTEs! I heard from Brad that my truck is being talked about. I read some posts so lets clear the air. I am not, never was, nor will I ever be hurt by comments nor questions. We are good. As Brad stated I am always into something "new". My current Ford project was an 80 Fox body that never wanted to run 13's so I cut the B**** up to rebody it as a one-off rod from the 40's. It will be something to see! When people see it now and wonder whether I can pull it off I point to the effie and say "that is a '91 Explorer". I dont have near as much talent as I do imagination, beer, and spare time. I believe what causes failure more than anything is quitters. There are many reasons to quit, some good, mostly p*** poor. I don't quit. My wife doesn't mind my hobby and I can afford it. My work looks better in pictures than it does up close. I'll put a couple Stang pics in my gallery if I remember how.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a cool 91 F100 you have there. I followed your build a few years ago then you droped out of site for a while. Was temped by the explorer chassis myself but didn't have the backbone to try it.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
There you are...

Hi Dave,
I wondered what happened to you. I guess when you finished your truck you just decided to move on to other stuff. That makes sense... Your other projects sound interesting I'm sending you a PM so go check it out later. Whoops!!! Make that an e-mail, it doesn't look as though the PM option is available.

Later Man...

Quick Reply: 56 F100 with an Explorer frame