1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 with an Explorer frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
houghda
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 F100 with an Explorer frame

I have a 56 F100 project that is not started.
I just bought a 91 4dr 2wd Explorer for $300 (and drove it home!)
I think I could make the cab fit the Exp frame with new mounting points and build a modern 56 with excellent parts support.
Anybody ever thought of this before me?

Old 11-22-2004, 06:47 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
'bout once a month someone comes up with a frame swap question and we go round and round with it .... my brainstorm was back in '97... I was looking at Explorers also...

the consensus from the forum is... if you ain't a jim dandy fabricator... (and maybe even then) it's more trouble than it's worth. The amount of fabrication involved isn't worth it. It would be easier and probably cheaper to upgrade the stock frame with late model or after market components...

It's not just body mounts and cab mounts... but sheet metal mounting, radiator mounting... wheel base changes if the wheels don't fit the fender openings... lots of things to consider... it would be a major project..

I talked to a guy back in '97 who had done one... or so he said. After I asked a few questions I found out he HAD it done. He did give me his shops name and I called the guy... this guy builds street rods for a living up in Indiana. He said it was the worst project he ever worked on and he'd NEVER even talk to someone who wanted to do it... too many hours for too little money

So even if your frame is trash, it's a better deal to find a better frame and start from there...

I'm sure some other folks will add their comments on the subject. Hate to sound so negative with your idea.... but there are better ideas

hope it helped ???

later
john

Old 11-22-2004, 08:30 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You got your first right answer from a skilled and able builder. That's Mr. Niolon. Listen carefully to him. His answer is the right one.

With that out of the way, let's talk frame swaps. Run out and measure the wheelbase on your donor. If you are within two or three inches of length (at the most) of 110" you might be alright. Mind you, I haven't done this swap. I've just layed out a scale drawing to make some appearance judgements. If the wheelbase is less than 110" saddle up the cutting and welding tools.

Ride height. You want this thing up there where the air is thin or are you going with a Barbie slam? It doesn't matter that much. How your cab and sheetmetal ride on the donor frame will make all the difference in what the end result will look like. What we have seen here on the board is an example of something similar to what you describe framewise. It looks tall and awkward. Lowering by conventional suspension mods will get the overall height down but the frame/cab/sheetmetal relationship will remain odd
looking. Channeling seems the only hope for this situation. At this point, I think the headaches begin... not flaming ones either.

John wasn't being negative... he's too nice a guy AND he's right. Don't give up on your idea, though. If you can find a way, you will answer what none of the rest of us have been able to answer as yet. We are all here to help with qualified advise so have at it! best. himmelberg

Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
You could use the Explorer as a donor vehicle. The rear end is easy to put under I just did it. You could also use the motor and transmission and bolt them up to your truck. Heck you have evrything you need to put the Exploere drive train under your truck except the transmission and motor mounts.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
F100man
Senior User
rearend dimensions

Christopher - what was the width dimension on the explorer rearend that you used? What year was the doner?--Thanks

Old 11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
houghda
Junior User
I believe the Explorer rear is a bolt in piece, except the wheel bolt pattern.
The pads measure roughly the same spread as do the tires (one man with a tape). it seems to me that I have read of more than one effie with an Explorer rear.

I realize that the entire frame swap is a wild idea, but there is no risk to the 56 frame nor cab. Basically I would have to ensure the sheet metal was solid, unbolt and raise the cab, pulll the 56 frame and roll in the 91. The obvious risk is the Explorer would be a total loss (how many of us havent wasted $300 on parts that didnt work out?) as well as the time in dismantling it.
I believe some careful measurments would reveal any dealbreakers on wheelbase and cab to wheels measurements.

If I didnt have a 302 block, heads and brand new parts in boxes I would be digging the idea of the 4.0 six and 4spd tranny already together.
This is my idea of what old school hot rodding is about, using what you have to build a rod, not to condem smart choices and good money to build awesome trucks.

I believe ride height would be an issue, but you gotta believe parts support would be abundant for years to come.

Right now it is all talk as I need to finish my 55 wagon this winter before I think about tieing up the garage with this dream.

Looking forward to the input, maybe I will qualify as a pioneer someday?

Old 11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How wide is the explorer frame? If it is wider than stock, it forces you to channel the body to straddle the wider frame or (worse) raise the cab above it, which is the easier way to go. I feel that that approach is the main reason the overwhelming consensus among builders is that frame swaps are such bad ideas and rightly so.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
houghda
Junior User
It's been a long time!

It has been 2 and a half years since I posted this thread. Thought you might enjoy an update. I got the Explorer inspected in Feb 05 and drove it for a year. It sat for 6 months in my back yard Feb 06-August. On Aug 24th we started cutting apart the Explorer with the plan of using the front seat floor and firewall. Yes we left the motor and drivetrain intact (302/c4 in the distant future). We cut the cowl off the 56 at the windshield posts. Cleaned it up, replaced the bottom door jams etc and then welded it to the Explorer. After repairing and hanging the doors we attached the rest of the cab. There are a bunch of details but I dont want to bore you. The highlights are the 56 cab fit right over the 91. The frame even slid between the cab corners! The outcome is a 56 that sits low (7 inches front fender to ground). Next is the bed, gonna pick it up at Carlisle April 19th!! I have a photo but cant figure out how to post it?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
A local in my town used a 48 F1 on an 80's Ranger frame. Looks stock, except for the extra 2 inches above the tires in the wheelwells. Of course, his is a 4x4. so it can be done, but as you know, it's alot of work.
Go to user cp at the top of the page, click on it, go to edit gallery, and try it from there. You'll need Java. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Wow this is a long time indeed, nice of you to keep us posted and in the orginal thread.
For posting pictures the User Gallery & Picture Display Help forum will be helpful: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum77/
We all like looking at project pictures and you`re sounds very interesting, looking forward to it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
I can't wait to see the pics. Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 04-02-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
houghda
Junior User
Started a Gallery

OK Guys, I started my gallery with 3 pics, it will need some work, and I do take requests!

Last edited by houghda; 04-03-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool, can't beat $800 for both vehicles, really nothing to lose but your time in trying that. I am looking at a Bonus Built swap onto a bump frame, biggest problem is all the room I will need.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Herman R
Freshman User
There was a 55 Mercury M100 in the Old Car Trader a couple of months ago.
The guy had put a Lincoln Navigater 4x4 under it.He was asking 15,000.Canadian.
So it can be done.It looked pretty good in the picture.I thought about doing it myself as I have done a few frame swaps.The Explorer has the correct wheelbase and track width.I think the wheelbase is 111 in on the Explorer.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
hey houghda looks good
just goes to show if you want to you can do it.

Quick Reply: 56 F100 with an Explorer frame