Crate Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM
ctch88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crate Engines?

Hi everyone,

It was a sad first trip home from college when I had to stop 175 miles from school to find I had been leaking and burning oil. I poured in 5 quarts of oil. By the way, I had just checked the oil level and added a quart before leaving campus. Needless to say, it was a very rough rest of the trip, and I almost spent as much money on oil as gas to get the rest of the way home. However, the old girl did roll in the driveway under her own power. I didn't have much time to look over the engine, but my dad spent a good while this week, and is already contemplating buying a crate engine. The question that arises is:

Is the 351W from the Bronco compatible with f-150 and f-150 lightning engines. I have found a good deal on a rebuilt lightning engine, which is why I ask.

Also: for those of you who have dropped in a rebuilt engine, who did you buy from, how was the experience, and what was the price? (money is a big issue.)

Any extra advice anyone could give would be great. Thanks for your time folks.

Kyle-1990 351W

Old 11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Havent had, or heard of any bad Jasper Engines.
Didnt install it myself....had it done.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the lightning motor would be a direct bolt in replacement for your current motor. now why again are you getting new motor. ? sounds to me like your rear main seal is bad but that doesnt mean the motor is bad. how many miles is on it currently?

Old 11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Cheggie
Elder User
I did some research on the web before buying a remanufactured motor. I bought from West LA Engine rebuilders, which probably doesn't mean much to you, wherever you are. However, I encourage you to find a shop that is a member of AERA - American Engine Rebuilder's Association. This group encourages a set of standards for membership, and it means that the warranty can be honored by any AERA Dealer. The warranty on this engine is 3 years and unlimited mileage. - which says a lot I think. If they're willing to risk a long period of time, they've probably put the work in to guarantee it'll last that long - and probably longer. I bought a roller cam HO 302 for my 86 Bronco, and it seems to do ok. I think the speed density has a hard time with rapid throttle changes at near idle speeds - it stalls sometimes if you don't follow through with the throttle. I'm sure this is the fault of the SD FI, and I'll be converting to Mass Air at my earliest convenience. With the extra cubes of the 351, you might just want a stock hydraulic cam motor to retain excellent driveability. I think membership in AERA is a good indicator that you're buying from a reputable shop. I checked into their webpage before buying, and I've been very satisfied after 10,000 miles on my "new" motor.

Last edited by Cheggie; 11-18-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
tHeCoS
Senior User
This guys aren't bad....

http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/

I didnt use them but was my second choice. A local shop built mine. I'm not very impressed with them but still i'm on the run-in period.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bought the shortblock for my 302 from Ford. Did my homework and they actually had the best price/warranty at least locally adn I wasn't gonna get into shipping costs of an engine even if it was just a shortblock. I spent several weeks researching and making phone calls on it and still came up with the best price and warranty setup this way.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it needs a rebuild? Does it run ok but just leaks oil? Could be a bad pan gasket, rear main seal, etc. I'm not saying don't look at a crate or rebuild but are you sure it couldn't just be fixeed?

Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah generally speaking you're better off rebuilding what you have. A quality crate motor will run you $3-$4k depending on how you have it built. Whereas you can completely rebuild your current motor with decent parts for under $1,000. If you insist on a crate motor your local Ford dealer is the best bet. But how much do you want to spend on a 14 year old truck?

Mike
'96 5.8L EB

Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Fixeed is kind of like fixed, in case you were wondering.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BRBuzz151
pics of the customer service manager in a 69 with the (male) intern.
I don't wanna know how you got those pictures.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:39 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hamfisted
But how much do you want to spend on a 14 year old truck?
My Bronco is clean, straight, rust-free - it drives straight, quiet, and smooth. It has power everything, and it all works perfectly. The AC keeps me cool in summer, and the heat warm in winter - as I drive down the highway with the cruise on, tilt down, and one finger on the wheel. It has a nice satellite stereo system, so I can enjoy music and talk wherever I am. It looks nice.

Heck yes, I would love to put a Ford factory crate motor in it! I plan to keep the Bronco for the rest of my life, unless I win the lottery or something.

Having a truck that I like and is _paid for_, and costs $27 a year to register, and has lower insurance than a new car enables me to be able to pay for my Harleys and other toys. I don't ever want car payments again.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:37 PM
body9599
Senior User
Originally Posted by JBronco
I plan to keep the Bronco for the rest of my life, unless I win the lottery or something.
What!!! Winning the lottery means you have a grip of money to spend on your Bronco! And you get to buy a house with a three car garage and two more broncos to put in it.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Griffkay
Junior User
Originally Posted by body9599
What!!! Winning the lottery means you have a grip of money to spend on your Bronco! And you get to buy a house with a three car garage and two more broncos to put in it.
THe man has a good point.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:07 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd steer clear of Jasper engines. My father has dealt with them in the past (was a waranty shop for them) he'd had several that came in making noise after just 1000 miles.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Broncobirdy
Senior User
Originally Posted by body9599
If its a BIG lotto win you could buy a freakin HUGE house with an 8 car attached and a 16 car detached for boats, Broncos, Corvettes, and Mustangs, with a Harley or two! Think big, think large! Oh well back to reality, gotta change the oil in the beast!

Quick Reply: Crate Engines?