Bosch Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:14 AM
lewjayjr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosch Plugs

Well, last December the truck was running bad. I pulled the plugs and they looked a little fouled, so I went to Advance Auto and bought some new plugs. Got the Bosch Platinums. In February, it was still running rough so I took it to a shop for a tune up prior to moving back to Ga.
In June of 04, the truck was again running bad, so back this time to the Ford dealership. They tell me I need new wires, new plugs, and the injectors cleaned. I said go ahead BUT that I had a set up plugs that only had a couple of thousand miles on them in the truck, and if they were not bad to install them. OK they say. Price on this $285.00
Late July the truck starts the same old thing. Rough idle, missing, no power, etc. Finally in November, I could take it back to the dealership. They put it on the computer, and then tell me I need plugs. When I picked it up, it was $152. I asked what the problem was, and was told that Bosch plugs don't work well in the 4.2 engine. I asked why they did not tell me that to begin with, and was told, "Oh, we do what you request."
Well, that place will not see me or my truck again and so far, I have told 3-4 other Ford truck owners to stay away from them.
I have called Bosch and am waiting for a call back as to why they are selling a defective product.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck! I also experienced the "Bosch" problem. If you read around this forum enough, you will find many other's as well.I find that just plain old copper core plugs run great, and are cheap. I'm not leaving any plug in for 60-100k.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Black4.2
Senior User
I have used Bosch Plantinum +2 plugs in my truck before. I replaced them after a week or two. I kept getting misfires at idle...On my 96 sunfire..after about two weeks after installing them, Engine light came on and the car ran like crap...Pulled the code, misfire in cylinder 4. The plug in that cylinder was faulty. But they did work well in my old carbuerated 87 v8. I don't think those work well in newer fuel injected Engines. I'll never pari one again. Hey, how long does the copper plug last in our 4.2. If so what brand are you using.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, believe it or not, I usually run Bosch "Super" plugs. They are just a copper core,standard type plug.They are also cheap, at about $1 ea. I change plugs no later than 20k. I do a lot of highway driving('02 f150 w/140k). I'm a little "maintenance intensive" because I've gotta get at least 250k out of this truck.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is if you do as Thomas and use copper plugs, BOSCH are fine. I have heard too many tales of woe surrounding their platinum plugs.
I just stick with OEM replacements.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
hubdeep
Junior User
I had a similler problem with bosh platinums I ran them for 3 days and it took out one of my wires. Now I only use O.E.M.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:56 AM
bratman2
Senior User
I tried Bosch plats a couple of years ago in my wife's V6 mustang, terrible steady miss until they were taken out, about 500 miles. No more Bosch for me.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
I've heard this a thousand times regarding their platinum plugs. Copper plugs should be fine though. But i've learned my leason from experimenting with different plugs and so forth and now simply run OEM plugs and wires. I learned my lesson the hard way, as Brian would know, and will never go aftermarket on plugs or wires again.

Tom

Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Tom, is that what the problem has been with your truck? Copper plugs? That sucks.

I have been through the Bosch route myself. OEM from now on.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Nah, my problem was more complex and had to do with aftermarket wires popping off my coil and arcing the coil pack until it cracked. In doing so, it foulded my plugs and wires. I replaced the coil pack but was still misfiring like crazy and detonating until i finally replaced the wires and plugs. I put Autolite 764 (one step colder) copper plugs in to try and reduce the detonation. I was familiar with these plugs because I had used them when I was racing my truck with Nitrous. When running nitrous, you MUST use copper plugs and they need to be one or two steps colder than stock.

Anyway, after replacing the plugs, wires and coilpack, my truck ran fine. Then it started detonating again and losing power. After alot of research I discovered that the previous problem, along with running the colder plugs, caused carbon to buid up on my piston heads and was causing the detonation. I switched back to the OEM plugs and have been stuffing engine cleaner in my gas tank and the problem is slowly fixing itself. My trucks gas mileage is getting better and my power has been restored. I only get a few pings now when my engine is really hot and I down shift from high speeds and rev the motor up over 4000+ rpms. I think in a few more months the problem will be completely gone.

lesson learned. Stock wires and plugs from now on!!!!!

Tom

Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 AM
fordinlinesix
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, Bosch Platinums suck hard! I've had them go bad in an Explorer and my '68 F100. They're just not very good quality.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
As much as I agree and know from experience that Bosch Platinum Plugs suck eggs, i can never understand why? Bosch is a big company that makes high quality electrical components and their parts are usually more expensive then the competition.

I just can't figure out why they appointed the janitor as head of research and development for their platinum spark plug division? What's up with that?

Tom

Old 11-25-2004, 02:03 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it's like how Airaid makes the TBS?....but I still think that thing has gotta be good for at least a quarter of a horsepower....and maybe 1 more mile per tank!!!