New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosch Glow Plugs?

Anybody use em?

Old 11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
motorcraft/beru is brand of choice only because they are better quility not because there afliation with ford. autolite may burn off there tips, champions explod. Glow plugs are not somthing to experament with. unless you like taking your heads off to fish out glowplug pieces.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Last2Know1
Junior User
how often should they be changed? How do you know when they are going out?

Old 11-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Dieseldan7.3
Elder User
test em. they should last a long time if you use em right.
i am going to be replacing all of mine with Berus pretty soon.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Dieseldan7.3
Elder User
my glowplugs dont last at all since I got autolites.
it doesnt help that winters here are
cold.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 10-21-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
hey now. I'm a little farther north its so cold here we don't see much snow I know we were down to -50 wind chill I got my truck start on 7 cylinders(one of them was cracked) and jumped my dads aerostar. motorcraft are better designed for these trucks also don't buy from ford buy them from O'reiliys or autozone. half-price autozone is suppose to carry 8 inthe store all the time.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:52 AM
BikePilot
Tuned
I just changed mine (well 6 of them, the 2 under the turbo will have to wait untill I have a bit more time) and my truck has 123k miles. One of the six was bad, the others showed a good bit of wear. I plan on replacing them every 100k or so.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:18 AM
redneckmechnic
Senior User
mine last about 8 months and they were berus. probelm was my gp contorler was acting up see how long they will last now with a nw cntroler.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
pnose
Elder User
Originally Posted by nogo73
hey now. I'm a little farther north its so cold here we don't see much snow I know we were down to -50 wind chill.
Engines dont feel wind chill they will only get as cold as the mercury says it is.The only effect wind chill has is how fast it will cool down to the point of the actual temp.

Old 11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Autolite are the worst I ever used. Beru are the best. I used bosh also and did not have any premature failure. I change them when they do not light anymore, I do not do preventive change, too expensive. It is easy to see if one is out. When you start below freezing, you will notice when a cylinder is not firing as soon as it starts. It will run rough for a couple of second and then when the cylinder fires, as the air/fuel compress enough to raise the temp, it will do a puff and start to run smoother. To test it, just unplug the wire and check with an ohm tester, it should read zero or very near to.
You can also notice when there is more than one because the more plug busted you have, the shorter your light will be on.
When you find one busted, change it. If you do not change all of them, like I do, you might find another one busting the next day, or at the next start so do not be surprise. If you change them only when they brake you will become an expert at detecting a failing plug. Check them all again and change the busted one, so on so on son, this is the story in the world of glow plugs, they are a pain, and when winter comes in, they light up longer, so they brake more often. Once winter sets in and you have changed the bad apples, normally you should be good for the rest of winter, but again, you never know, so keep on watching for rough iddle at start up. If all glow plugs are good, you want to make sure you have enough juice in your 2 batteries, check one at a time, diesel engigne must turn fast to create enough compression and to warm the mixture to fire up, then check for fuel leak at the lines, water in fuel, bad fuel, heating oil substitute..., if all is ok, well you are in for bigger trouble like injectors, fuel pumps, worn cylinder, busted engine, etc..
Have fun

Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Question Bosch Glow Plugs

I used Bosch Plugs and they work great. ONLY ONE THING TO WATCH: MAKE SURE THE PLUGS SAY "MADE IN GERMANY" ON THEM. I once tried the Bosch plugs from Japan and they were no better than the crap they try to sell around here.

Does anyone know who sells the OEM Berus that are made in Italy? Can't find anybody that sells them in Western Canada.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Saigon
Elder User
Bosch GP's

I use them and so far no problems at all, I also use a manual switch since my controller is shot, I usually fire them for 5 seconds before the truck comes to life maybe a little more when its cold outside.Like some members I have tried different brands for the last four years and I have had the best performances with the Bosch (made in Germany) plugs.
Saigon

Old 09-24-2005, 05:23 AM
shorthair
Senior User
yesterday changed all of mine put new beru's in because thats what came out ALL IN ONE PIECE YEAH!!!!!!!!! but the little plastic insulators are pretty well gone what should i use to replace will elec tape work ?

Old 09-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Saigon
Elder User
Insulators

All mine are shot,I just left the connectors bare anyway nothing mettalic can touch them anyway!
Saigon

Old 09-25-2005, 10:29 AM
bluthunder
Senior User
i bought autolites and some of them lasted less than one month. i don't know how they get away with selling junk like this. they must not do any quality control testing.

Quick Reply: Bosch Glow Plugs?