Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

700 lb-ft Diesel sport truck from GM. Will FORD & DODGE follow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
mtomac
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700 lb-ft Diesel sport truck from GM. Will FORD & DODGE follow?

GM is coming out with a 4wd crew cab short box Silverado with the Duramax diesel and Allison Auto with 700 lb-ft of torque.

Highlights include:

-Improved engine breathing with new air box and massive exhaust system
-Allison heavy-transmission utilizes reprogrammed shift schedules
-Suspension lowered, and custom wheels and tires fill wheel wells
-Custom four-piece tonneau cover protects the short box and its cargo while allowing gooseneck trailering with removal of the center panel.
-Integrated towing package features a folding mounting ball, brake controller and auxiliary gauges
-Custom trim pieces for instrument cluster and doors

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8375

Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds impressive, would be interesting to get performance numbers for it.

I would be interested if Ford has anything in the pipeline for competition.

I would like to see if it gets off the ground as a project.

But one things for sure, powerful diesel engines are THE thing of the future, just look at the impressive performance numbers some BMW diesels in Europe pull...

Old 11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Didn't take them long to copy.... brake controller and auxiliary gauges...

Old 11-14-2004, 08:13 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think this is the direction performance trucks are going to go. You can build a performance engine and still have the ability to work the truck. This is something you can't really do with gas engines.

If rumors are true for 06 the PSD may be at 350hp and 630lb-ft. I hope so because I think a 06 screw is in my budget.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:30 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtomac
GM is coming out with a 4wd crew cab short box Silverado with the Duramax diesel and Allison Auto with 700 lb-ft of torque.

Highlights include:

-Improved engine breathing with new air box and massive exhaust system
-Allison heavy-transmission utilizes reprogrammed shift schedules
-Suspension lowered, and custom wheels and tires fill wheel wells
-Custom four-piece tonneau cover protects the short box and its cargo while allowing gooseneck trailering with removal of the center panel.
-Integrated towing package features a folding mounting ball, brake controller and auxiliary gauges
-Custom trim pieces for instrument cluster and doors

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8375
Ummm No solid axle. A must on a HD truck. Suspension lowered. There to low as is not good. I hope they have better injectors for the upgraded engines. The current ones from what Ive heard are junk. Now they are on backorder and GM dealers have non So if you have problems your out off luck.Power is the least off my concerns. Still it looks like Ford is the only way to go. Any more room in there cabs. Nope still cramped. That front still looks horrible. Get a Ford why bother with the rest.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good, and will certainly inspire additional competition.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Ford has to follow. They have vowed never to be outdone in this market again. That was back in 02 though. Competition has been extremely fierce. Ford has fallen behind. They were ready to retake the lead next model year. But now thats looking iffy. Depends on the hp rating of this new dmax.

700lb ft at 3000 rpm is 400 hp.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This Duramax isn't offered though, officially. It's basically GM taking a tuner to its own truck, as well as new exhaust. Same thing every PSD owner ALREADY does. =)

Old 11-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats with the ugly Bling Bling wheels slap some shinny chrome on them and they would be something Pimp My Ride would use

The manufacturers keep adding more and more power to these trucks but they don't increase the size of the truck. I think people are going to get themselves into trouble with that much power under the hood.

Well Chev wasn't too far behind Ford copying catting I guess it will take Dodge 10 years todo the same

I don't know why chev lowered the truck even their stock 2wd 2500 and 3500 trucks are too low to the ground even their 4wheeldrive trucks are too low to the ground. A person that uses their truck for work doesn't want it low to the ground if it is too low it will get hung up and bottom out every where it goes.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Well it may be that this truck is aimed at a very specific market and that is the retirees and there trailers and 5-wheels. I know many who pull all year and wish they had 4wd so they could get into the snowy area's or not get stuck because of the snow. Most 4x4's are just to tall for them to get in and out of. My wife doesn't even like getting into the Ranger.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tmyers
Well it may be that this truck is aimed at a very specific market and that is the retirees and there trailers and 5-wheels. I know many who pull all year and wish they had 4wd so they could get into the snowy area's or not get stuck because of the snow. Most 4x4's are just to tall for them to get in and out of. My wife doesn't even like getting into the Ranger.
What about people who want a "street" truck???

Old 11-15-2004, 01:28 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Overkill for a street truck, towing package, etc. and not rugged enough for a work truck. Looks to me to be a on the road trailer hauler. Nothing wrong with that by the way but I would still take a SD over it because I want a truck that will do everything. Never know where I'll be or how big a load I may carry.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:39 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by Saurian
This Duramax isn't offered though, officially. It's basically GM taking a tuner to its own truck, as well as new exhaust.
But with a factory warranty! Using a tuner can void warranty claims.

Where will this end? The numbers are already so high! GM really opened a floodgate with the big numbers in the dmax back in 01 and it's been no holds barred ever since. Our 40' diesel pusher RV has a 350hp/1050lb ft Cummins ISC in it and these pickups are creeping up on it power-wise. Very impressive stuff.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Didn't take them long to copy.... brake controller and auxiliary gauges...
A wise man once said:

I don't think the public cares who did it first. The public cares about who did it best.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:43 PM
grave
New User
CHEVY must go cast iron on head?. just a thought.

Quick Reply: 700 lb-ft Diesel sport truck from GM. Will FORD & DODGE follow?