1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When should you use 4 wheel drive in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 AM
hotarri
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When should you use 4 wheel drive in snow?

I'm going skiing this weekend and it's currently snowing in the Sierras. I have never taken my Bronco into the snow. They are requiring chains or 4x4 w/ M/S tires. Should I turn on the 4 wheel drive as soon as I pass the checkpoint or wait for there to be heavy snow on the ground? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are not on dry pavement, you can engage the 4WD any time. (Dry pavement is the only situation that isn't the best for the system). If you have manual hubs, don't forget to get out and lock them or putting the T-case in 4WD won't do anything to help you.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
If you have manual hubs, I would get out at the checkpoint and lock your hubs then get back in and drive on. So if you end up needing 4wd just clunk it into 4h or 4l and your all set. Dont forget to get out and unlock your hubs on your way out.

-Matt

Old 11-11-2004, 01:40 PM
hotarri
New User
I still have automatic hubs so no need to get out to lock the hubs. Is it advisable to turn on 4WD while driving on dry pavement between patches of snow or should I turn on and off the 4WD in between the patches. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
If its just intermittent small patches, why bother? You should be able to navigate them easily in 2wd, just take it easy over them. Save your 4wd for when you really need it.

-Matt

Old 11-11-2004, 03:32 PM
timack
Junior User
All above is good advice- and remember, you can't STOP any better, just because you can GO better with 4-wheel drive.

Tim

Old 11-11-2004, 05:38 PM
raldo_gtm
Senior User
Yep, remember to take a shovel and some kitty litter (provides traction when you need it). I used to commute in the San Juan Mtns., and I really didn't use 4wd. Even if the roads were snow packed, I think the only time I used it was when the road was closed and I didn't have enought momentum to carry me uphill. Oh yeah, make sure that you don't "fruit out" when the anti-lock kicks in.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:38 AM
olgreymare86
Junior User
Ok guys...how about shifting into and out of 4-wheel drive? My 86 is my 1st 4x4. I have manual lockouts with a manual Borg-Warner t-case and a T-18 4-spd granny-tranny. If my hubs are locked, can I shift into 4x4 on the move or do I have to be at a complete stop?

Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
As they say, if your hubs are locked, you can "shift on the fly" but I wouldn't recommend doing it going much faster than 30mph although they say that you can. That's just my opinion on it, others will differ.

Have fun,

Old 11-12-2004, 07:59 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timack
All above is good advice- and remember, you can't STOP any better, just because you can GO better with 4-wheel drive.

Tim
It seems to stop better in 4WD, something or other about the inertia of more wheels turning under power. Whatever it is, it seems harder to lose control while braking in snow when in 4WD. I am not saying that the brakes work "better," but just that the 4WD assists them.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:05 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fcarruth
As they say, if your hubs are locked, you can "shift on the fly" but I wouldn't recommend doing it going much faster than 30mph although they say that you can. That's just my opinion on it, others will differ.

Have fun,
Keep in mind that these trucks are not the greatest about going out of 4WD, so if you are doing the shift on the fly thing then do not assume that you are out of 4WD the second that you move the lever back to 2WD. It usually takes a little while, and sometimes it will stay in 4WD for a long time. I usually back up for about 100 feet after getting out of 4WD to make sure that everything unwinds, which is not really practical of you are shifting on the fly.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:36 AM
olgreymare86
Junior User
Originally Posted by JBronco
Keep in mind that these trucks are not the greatest about going out of 4WD, so if you are doing the shift on the fly thing then do not assume that you are out of 4WD the second that you move the lever back to 2WD. It usually takes a little while, and sometimes it will stay in 4WD for a long time. I usually back up for about 100 feet after getting out of 4WD to make sure that everything unwinds, which is not really practical of you are shifting on the fly.
I can understand that if I had auto locking hubs, but I have manual hubs. I really can't see the need for backing up anfer shifting out just to disengage the t-case.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:05 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
I have manual hubs as well. Try it for yourself before you question the advice.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My 86 F250 doesn't shift into or out of 4wd right away if there is a load on the drivetrain. All it takes to make it engage or disengage is to come out of the throttle, then get back in it, disengaging the clutch would do the same thing also.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:29 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
My 86 F250 doesn't shift into or out of 4wd right away if there is a load on the drivetrain. All it takes to make it engage or disengage is to come out of the throttle, then get back in it, disengaging the clutch would do the same thing also.
Yeah if I get back on the road and get cruising, and then let off the gas, I can usually feel it go out of 4WD. It's funny because sometimes it comes right out when I shift to 2WD, and other times it takes longer. I know that there are no problems, and the fluis is clean etc., that's just how it is. But I have been doing the backup thing for so many years that it is second nature to me by now.

Quick Reply: When should you use 4 wheel drive in snow?