93 3.0 ran hot- knocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:16 PM
knothead64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 3.0 ran hot- knocks

I just acquired a 93 ranger with 3.0 vulcan 85000 mi.
A freeze plug failed on previous owner and engine ran hot and started knocking so he shut it down.
Purchased from an Uncle who was going to fix it, he said all he was going to do was put rod bearings in it and go.
Is that all I should do or should I get a bottom-end kit and put in new main and rod bearings and an oil pump?
Only paid $300 for the truck but, I would like to fix it right the first time. Is there anything else I should replace?

Thanx

Old 11-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I like your idea about doing all the bearings and going with some kind of crank kit. I wouldn't think the oil pump would need to be changed unless you think it's shot. You might have a reason to be concerned about the heads or head gaskets if it was run hot for more than a few minutes.

Personally though, if it were me, I'd go find another vuclan engine at a junkyard. They are one of the more plentiful engines around. I bet you could get a good, low mileage one for cheap and put it in there with as much or as little effort as it would take to do the repair(s) on the old one.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
knothead64
New User
The heads and head gasket might be o.k. ( knock on wood ) there was no water in oil ( wasn't milky ) .
You think it would be better to get an engine from a salvage yard, rather than trying new rod bearings?
I am no mechanic, maybe a meknic I'm just looking for the easiest fix.
I appreciate the reply Rockledge and the advice.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 PM
silvapain
Senior User
With the Vulcan being so prevalent, I would just get a junkyard one.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
knothead64
New User
what would be your idea of a good price for a junkyard motor?
I too am now having doubts on fixing what I have and going with another engine.
The way I look at it, if I have to pull it out I might as well put something back in that I don't have to worry with.
Here are some 3.0L prices I got from junk yards, one with 55,000mi. for $600. Another with 75,000mi. for $950.00 and a third which is a rebuilt long block for $900.00.
I'm skeptical now that if I replace rod bearings, that who says the rings or cylinders or pistons aren't messed up.Or maybe even the heads or head gaskets.
I found the culpret for the overheating problem. Loss of coolant due to freeze plug on the BACK of engine rusting out. Had to seperate tranny from engine just to get at it what a bi**h.
Like I said origional engine has 85,000 mi. on her but, with damage caused from overheating I think a replacement engine might be the best bet.
any input?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd ask the guys at the place that wants 600 to hear it run. If they can't let you hear it, move on. Any good junkyard will rig something so it will run.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:30 PM
baddraw
New User
I would go with a crank kit which is available at O'reillys auto parts for $163 and comes with the bearings, oil pump will run $95 and pan gasket is $30.