Computer Chips & Tuners  

Chip or Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:52 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip or Tuner

I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew with the 4.6L. I was wondering what is a better choice, a 3 stage chip or a tuner. I don't pull a trailer very often (3-4 times a month) and like the idea of switching back and forth between programs.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:53 PM
yamahonda41
Senior User
I don't know anything about the 3 stage chips, however, now I'm over the initial learning curve with my Diablo Predator I can reprogram my chip in about 3-5 minutes. I will use it even when I'm not towing my trailer. If you want to run 87 octane and still run the performance tune you just modify the timing advance and install the modified tune and away you go.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:14 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
A tuner will let you make as many changes as you want. You can do that with a chip but it will require mailing the chip back to the vendor each time. How many changes/updates do you think you'll need? That will probably help you decide.

I'm in the market for a flasher/tuner too, mainly to add fun to my daily driver. I think once I get the tune to my satisfaction, I probably won't make many changes to it later. If I had a race car, I would probably need updates as long as I am racing.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I think once it is tuned or chipped I will end up leaving it as is. My biggest concern is I was told that when the truck is tunned for peak performance, I should not tow with it. I tow often enough were I can't have the truck set up for only one setting. I thought a switch would be the simplest setup to go between the programs like the chip offers, but I am not sure if that would be the best setup.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing to worry about, with Superchips it has a tow mode. With the Diablo, you can tow in the performance mode.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Sounds like the tuner is the way to go then. Thanks for your replies.