1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Squealing and screeching on morning startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
dowlinga
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing and screeching on morning startup

HI, I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 5MOD with about 45000 miles and when I start it up in the mornings if its wet or cold out, there is a terrible screeching/squealing noise that comes from under the hood. It seems to be around the belts/fan area (obvious?), but I can't specifically target it. It lasts for 20-60 seconds (sometimes a little longer if its real cold or wet out) and then goes away. Is this a sign that some belts need replacing or a fan problem? How often do they normally need to be replaced? Any ideas why it really only happens in response to cold or wet? Any suggestions on figuring out the problem or what to do? Thanks much!

Old 10-29-2004, 10:18 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
sounds like you need to change the belts. if i remember right, my haynes manual says to change the serpentine belt every 50-60k miles.so you are approaching the interval.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:38 AM
jecp
Senior User
Check the underside of the serpentine belt. If it looks glazed/cracked, time to replace. A quick test would be to pick up belt dressing and try that. If the noise goes away, replace the belt. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
When you have the belt off, clean all the pulleys with a good solvent (brake cleaner works well), even get some emery cloth on them if you have to. Make sure they are CLEAN.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:43 AM
bassaway
Senior User
I had that same noise every so often on my truck then I had my belt changed about 2 months ago. It has just recently started making the same noise again so this problem must be a pulley related problem. I have it narrowed down to one pulley in particular thats making the noise, its the top pulley on the drivers side for me. I found this when i sprayed some belt lube on this pulley and the noise immediately stopped and went away for about a week but then came back. I guess i should try to clean it as well.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Higgin
Senior User
This seems to be a common problem for the 3.0. Look to this post for a little additional help...... http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=294701