1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

85 4wd Ranger, strip and prime

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:42 AM
ckeezer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4wd Ranger, strip and prime

I am currently attempting to completely strip and sand out all of the rust spots on my ranger. This is a big job, considering the amount of rust that is currently on the body. Nothing is rusted through, but it is leaving a lot of pits. What is the best way to take care of them?

Does anyone have an idea of the time it takes to do a rebuild on a old 2.9L? I am thinking about doing this with my engine, but I am not sure if I want to go this far. I am trying to get the truck in shape for next year, I want to start playing in the MUD after the snow thaws out. Also, any good ideas on getting the rust off of the frame?

Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sandblast.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
ckeezer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not have a sand blaster. At this time I am using a Rigid 11,000 RPM drill with a paint stripper bit. It is working well, but the rust pit are hard to get out. Do I need to use a grinder?

Old 10-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't use a grinder. You can get a cheap sandblaster at HF. If you can most of the loose rust out, metal prep like Jasco will help get rid of the rust. You will have to keep putting it on. Maybe use it with steel wool, wear rubber gloves.

Old 10-25-2004, 02:07 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You may want to check out acouple of products: I have heard them mentioned on Trucks! (SpikeTV) several times. Never used myself.

POR15 - (POR = Paint Over Rust)
Miricale Paint

Both are supposed to stop rust in it's tracks. You may also want to check out www.eastwood.com for some cool stuff to help with your project. Also FYI, I have seen some places that sell repro fenders for like $50+. Might be worth it if they are more work than they are worth.