1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Resto Mod - The search begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:35 PM
MyChewToy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 49 Resto Mod - The search begins

Ok, I have my website up (http://www.mychewtoy.net) and now I am just looking for the perfect truck to submit itself to my resto mod attempts. I have a few that I am looking at and am in the process of posting some pics. So if you have time jump on over and take a look at what I have. I would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks !

Old 10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chewy - Congrats on the start of your project.
I looked at your website and the first possible candidate truck. I have a 56 and I'm sure that some of the folks here with 48-52's will be of more specific help than I can.
It is hard to tell what the bodywork is like from the photos. I believe that the shape of the body is everything in terms of cost and the eventual quality of the rebuild. So I would examine it inside and out to look for rust thru and other body damage that will need to be addressed.
My thought is that everything else on the truck can be up for grabs. Frame, driveline, suspension, electrical, etc can all be changed out, but the body is the most difficult to find and repair. So my two cents is to base your selection on the condition and completeness of the sheet metal.
Here in California, the body conditions can be generally good, but the prices seem to be a lot higher. If I could have found a decent 56 for a $1000, I would have grabbed it. In South Carolina, it may be a different deal.
Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2004, 09:46 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyChewToy
Ok, I have my website up (http://www.mychewtoy.net) and now I am just looking for the perfect truck to submit itself to my resto mod attempts. I have a few that I am looking at and am in the process of posting some pics. So if you have time jump on over and take a look at what I have. I would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks !
Chew,

Nice start on the website. From what I can see I don't think $1000 is unreasonable for that truck although if you can talk him down a few hundred that would be great. I paid $500 for my 48 F-3 and it didn't have a Ford bed on it or rear fenders. It did have a good running flathead which I didn't want and later sold to cut my investment in the truck to about $350. I think it was in about the same condition as the one on your website.

Vern

Old 10-16-2004, 11:16 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the above...get the most rust free truck you can, regardless of the cost. Makes the project go much smoother and quicker.