Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator 40HP Towing program???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:35 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Predator 40HP Towing program???

Predator question. towing mode. Transmission behavior

I got to try out the towing mode of the predator this weekend, with a 30ft flatbed, loaded with a steel dog compound, and a utility trailer. Gross trail weight of about 9,000 pounds, with 8,000 for the truck, as it runs, giving a GCVW of 17,000 pounds.

We got better fuel mileage, up 1.4 mpg, and the truck managed fine. Things noticed were a very soft change pattern, for the transmission, with apparent engine braking effort when slowing, which would throw the 'check engine' light on. The truck would sound like the EPBV thing (or something similar) was closing - that tell tale hiss, and the combo would slow - that part is great... But, why does the check engine light come on - it is a diesel, so does not have the usual junk associated with that light.

The very soft change pattern was unexpected also - the transmission will last longer with a hard change, not a soft one - so why the softer than stock shifting. Other than that, the predator is a wonderful thing - the ecomomy tune has given us constant 19 + mpg, mixed running, with speeds up to 75. That is way better than stock. I have not yet bought the exhaust I want, nor the gauges, so I haven't tried the other programs.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:18 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Guve it several cold start key cycles to learn the shift. It should have a note about this in the manual.