2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Rattle under dash on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Intermittent Rattle under dash on drivers side

I have a 2004 Screw Lariat. Has anyone noticed an intermittent rattle under the drivers side dash? In the last week it seems to have gotten worse. I can't figure out what is causing it. Anybody got a fix for this?

Old 10-08-2004, 04:27 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
I too have a rattle, or almost a clicking type noise coming from the dash somewhere. It sounds like somewhere around the steering wheel or instrument panel. I keep trying to isloate it so I can bring it in, but I just can't seem to pin it down. If I figure out what it is I'll post it here.

As a side note, my 2002 Sport Trac with 30k on the clock didn't have any rattles when I traded it in.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:37 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Yep, sounds like I have the same noise. I thought maybe it was relays clicking. Heck who knows, I will continue to try and isolate it.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:43 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Well if you find it please let me know! Also are you an air traffic controller? Wondering what the ATCS stands for.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by kamikaze2b
Well if you find it please let me know! Also are you an air traffic controller? Wondering what the ATCS stands for.
No, not an air traffic controller. Actually I'm in the U.S. Navy, and ATCS is my rate and rank. It stands for Aviation Electronics Technician Senior Chief. I will finish up this enlistment and retire with 24 yrs in 2008.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:14 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Here's the update. The techs traced the clicking down and replaced the clock spring, whatever that is, but it didn't fix it. So they ordered an entirely new steering column that will be here on Monday. I hope this fixes it and isn't an inherent design flaw. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get the truck back next week. For now I'm driving a sweet Mercury Sable.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:57 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Looking forward to hearing what the outcome is. I still have the rattle too, but haven't had time to take it in. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
hey guys, it has been a long time since i posted here so i hope my advice is still accepted.

In regards to the noise that randomly occurs from underneath the steering wheel I may have a simple solution since I also experianced the same problem. My truck stayed in the shop for 2 weeks for this very same problem and the techs were ready to pull their hair out over it, and when I picked it up it still had the same rattle. I would spend atleast 20 mins each afternoon when I got home laying in my floor board trying to locate the problem, it sounded to me like a loose wire that would occasionaly rattle on something underneath the dash. That's what the tech guys thought at my dealership and took my entire dash out in the process (bad sight seeing your brand new truck with only 600 miles and no dash!). The dealership finally called me to pick up my truck and said they had solved the annoying rattle and it was this little plastic thing (yellow in color) on the brake pedal. But when I drove the truck out of the shop I heard the same ol' rattle, I didn't care I had given up 2 weeks with out my new truck was enough.

So how did I finally solve the problem? I laid in my floorboard once more and took my fist and started bumping things under the dash trying to recreate the sound. By accident I bumped the steering shaft pretty hard and I HEARD THE RATTLE! I continued bumping the steering shaft and pin pointed the noise to a little thing that appeard to be like a simple go kart clutch, near the fire wall. If you look under your dash and follow the steering shaft to the fire wall you'll see what I'm talking about, it's 2 metal circles with a rubber spacer between them. This was the source of my rattle and to fix it, I took black electrical tape and put about 10 rounds around this "clutch" device and I promise you I haven't heard the rattle since. I occasionaly do cab quietness tests on my truck by travelling down the road and turing off the radio and blower fan, very quiet and no rattle from under the drivers side dash anymore.

Hope this helps

Old 10-19-2004, 01:04 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the 'behind the climate control' rattle. I also used a little black tape to fix mine.
My rattle sounded like something moving back and forth, on top of the radio, or near the ashtray.
It wasn't either one, nor was it a 'bundle of wires'.
I pried off the dashcenter around the radio.
Tip, it's on there firmly, with 8 clips.
I let it hang down, gently.
Tip, don't muck with the radio controls, or the climate controls, they stay on, there are thin plastic 'dust seals' behind the climate controls. They long to escape.

After determining it wasn't a wire harness, I removed the cupholder-ashtray . Remove two 10 mm screws, then struggle to pull it out.

I found a metal mount behind the ashtray, with a centering hole for the rubber nub on the back of the tray.
Below the ashtray is the cursed passenger air bag switch. It is a large black plastic module behind the keyhole. I tapped it with my finger, Clunk. The sound! Just brushing it made a heck of a racket. The rubber centering nub on the plastic assembly in which the switch is mounted, made the noise.
The rubber would get smaller when it is cold and thus the noise was more noticable at night, or when the ac was on. I stuffed a small piece of flat foam around the nub. I then taped up the larger nub on the back of the ashtray, just in case, using cheap black electrical tape. Just enough to insulate it from the metal. I then pulled the white clips from the dashboard, pushing them onto the black plastic dash center. about five had come loose on the dash. I then pushed it down firmly to engage the clips and that was that. No more noise. It's been bothering me since I bought the truck. It's been 200 miles over our terrible roads without any click, or clunk.
Chris

p.s. The tray at the top, which can make noise, is only held on by two 10 mm screws. They are very tight. I think the tray is very prone to rattle. Anyone have a good replacement gadget that fits in that space?

Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Unltramax21 - Thanks for the reply. I will give the black tape a try on the steering shaft. This rattle seems to be getting worse. Maybe since the weather is changing and its cooler now, who knows. Its driving me crazy. I will let you know the outcome.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:42 AM
blue 2004 FX4
Senior User
Just started to notice the same rattle, don't turn my radio down enough!!

Old 10-26-2004, 12:23 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Well here is my previous update. I would have posted it earlier but I was banned for a week. LOL

Well here is the update......As I said in the previous post, the dealer ordered the clock spring thinking that would cure the problem. It didn't. So they ordered an entire steering column assembly and replaced everything. They then took the truck on a 13 mile "test drive" and deemed it cured. I went to pick it up at about 5:30pm and observed the following. First and large dent in the plastic on the passenger side dashboard. Grease all over the seats. Real frickin nice, but it's late and there is really nobody there to complain to. So I start her up and get ready to leave the parking lot. Guess what I hear? You got it, the da#$ed clicking again. So help me god I hadn't gone 100 yards and the clicking was as noticeable as ever.

So I get home and get back online. I did some reading and found a thread with the same issues. One guy said he crawled up under the truck and found his clicking issue, so I decided to do the same. Armed with a flashlight and some black duct tape I headed out to the truck. As I poked around I found lots of loose plastic pieces and other shoddy worksmanhip. I taped every last thing that was loose, and low and behold the clicking is 90% better. It is still occasionally noticeable, but so much better than before.

So I printed out the thread and took the truck back this past Weds. I told them to fix the dash ding, detail the interior and tape anything else up under the dash. I'm supposed to get the truck back again tomorrow. So we will see how it turns out in the end.

On the upside, I have no vibration, leaking rear window or tranny howl, so maybe I should consider myself lucky. This is my fourth new Ford, and I'm rather disappointed thus far.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:26 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Okay, so that was last week. I picked it up again tonight and there was still grease all over the seats. They replaced the dash panel that they dinged and claim they fixed the clicking and a rattle in or near the ashtray. It was pouring rain but I swear I can still hear the clicking. I won't know for sure until tomrrow though.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:41 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
*Update* I drove it today and it's clicking as bad as ever. However, I got up under the dash again and spent another 15 minutes poking around.... And I found the clicking! It's in the steering column. I couldn't pin down exactly where, but I was able to consistently recreate the clicking by moving the steering wheel back and fourth about a half an inch. I callled the dealer yet again, and we are having a meeting with the service manager, the service advisor and a technician tomorrow morning. I'm going to hold their hands and show them exactly where the clicking is. Hopefully then it will be fixed.

Last edited by kamikaze2b; 10-27-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
***Update 10/27 FIXED***

Okay on with the saga. I took it in this morning and the truck would hardly click for them. I felt like the truck was taunting me. Anyway after about 30 mintues with all of us messing with it we were able to get it to click just a little bit. The consensus was that was ineed the lower steering shaft. They then pulled a new F-150 off the lot and took the steering shaft out of it. They swapped them out and (so far) there is no more clicking at all. It is beautiful to drive and hear NOTHING!

The service manager also came out to make sure the leather was clean and I was happy. Overall I think they've gone out of their way to resolve this issue. I'll update again in a few days to let you know if the clicking returns at all. Best of luck to you all, and I hope my posts help.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Rattle under dash on drivers side