Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a Bronco II

Old 07-25-2001, 08:25 PM
PaulGS
New User
Should I buy a Bronco II

Help! I have given it a lot of thought in regards to the purchase of my next vehicle and I am leaning towards the Bronco II. We don't have rust problems in Oregon so that issue is at rest. I sure would be grateful for your input and experiences.
I like the idea of a smaller bronco and a solid roof over my head. I think they will eventually make a comeback- so I'll get a headstart.

1) Am I better off with a pre fuel injection rig or not. I assume they are easier to work on. ( no smog requirements here so far)
2) Sounds like the 2.9 heads can be a problem is the 2.8 better or worse?
3) I have to have an aotomatic! Is the C5 on the older model any better than the troublesome A4LD? (read of lots of problems even with rebuilds)

I am a light use 4x4 driver. Mainly to go snowboarding and pull a light sailboat to the lake once in awhile. My 90 Toyota is heavy(4,400 at the scale today- incl rack and misc..),parts are hideously expensive and I'm ready for a change. I also plan to modify for a hardtop (couldn't find one on the internet other than chopped/soft tops). I have a friend in fiberglass and sheetmetal. Found a source for windows. I realize the glass allows a view but I never have more than 1 adults with.
Thanks. Sorry for being long winded.
Paul

Old 07-26-2001, 04:34 PM
1986broncho2gal
Junior User
Should I buy a Bronco II

We have an '85 with a 2.8. Piece of junk. We have '86 and '90's both with 2.9's. Never a problem with anything as of yet. I would say to go with a 2.9. As far as the tranny? I'm not sure. Both of ours work fine. Good luck on your decision.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:06 AM
kold_phuzhun
Freshman User
Should I buy a Bronco II

So you're looking at a B2 huh? I've talked with tons of people who have one. Here's the majority of opinions. Go for the EFI rig because you can smog them rather consistantly and they perform tons better than carb rigs, especially in cold. As far as 2.9's go, they have a bad rep for their heads cracking. But here's the deal. I've found that most of the time somebody's head cracks, they've been driving it like they were running from the law for the past 5 years. Drive it with some respect and it will never fail you. 200+k miles on mine with original non-repaired heads and not a crack in sight. As far as tranny goes, I prefer standard because of the better gas mileage and more control over driving response, but if you can find a good auto with OD, I'd say go for it. I haven't heard anything bad about either tranny so if you like autos and don't care for absolute control, go auto. If you like to be involved in your driving, go standard. Just make sure it's a good tranny that won't fall apart on you halfway home. Happy buying!

Old 07-27-2001, 11:33 AM
redbronco2
Senior User
Should I buy a Bronco II

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 27-Jul-01 AT 12:34 PM (EST)[/font][p]I'll be honest with you here. I have an 85 BII and in the three years I've owned it it has been reliable but the computer parts do go bad.It's only left me stranded once, and that was a computer part. From what others have said the auto trannys have a much short life than the standards. As long as you buy a pre 88 model you will have four wheel drive. Avoid auto hubs. They are just junk. The distrubotr set up on most of these rigs have been plagued with problems but not enough that it should force ou to shy away from one. These rigs are something you will either love to death or hate it with a passion. Personally I love my truck alot. I have always had fun in one of these trucks. The biggest problem I have ever encoutered with one of these is that full-size Bronco owners treat yoiu like Fords ******* children, but I never have had to back-up to hit my parking spot. If you have any more questions don't be afrain to ask. If I don't know I can find out.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:20 PM
Hawk521
Freshman User
Should I buy a Bronco II

I just bought a '90 B2 a few weeks ago. Mine is in excellent shape visually - inside and out. To look at it one wouldn't think it was 11 years old.

It needed some work on the A/C, the gas tank leaked when filled to the top, it ran a little rough sometimes and it had leaky valve covers. I paid a Ford dealership go through it - replacing quite a few parts - all belts, ignition parts, new gas tank w/fuel pump, and a few other minor things. Now it runs and sounds like new. I've spent a bit more on it (counting the repairs) than a '90 probably warrants...but then, if it lasts me a few years w/o too many troubles it will be well worth it.

And its a fun lil vehicle for a daily driver. I'm just curious to see how it does on fuel economy during my short commutes to work.

'90 Bronco II XLT
'99 Firehawk #521

Old 07-27-2001, 02:40 PM
PaulGS
New User
Should I buy a Bronco II

(I'm not sure if my reply shows up in order)
Thanks for your input.I have researched potential problems with the Bronco's. Obviously, everyone has a different experience with particular years. I really want what everyone else does, A solid vehicle that doesn't fall apart shortly after purchase and not requiring constant shop work.
Those who have few problems will obviously love them and those who continue to pour money into their Bronco will most likely hate them.
Still need to weigh the differences. AT for sure ( for the same reason I use a washing machine). I used to own a 5 spd BMW- no more shifting for me. Also prefer manual 4x4. Other than that ???
I guess the solution is to find one that was taken care, a one or 2 owner vehicle.
My previous Ford experiences.
I sold my 84 F250 to my uncle in Auburn,MI. He also has my old Black 65 F250(62K miles) that I brought out a year ago. When I bought the 84 I had to put a lot of money into it(front end,steering box,trans) it hurt. But I was happy with the way it always got me there.Took the hauling abuse I gave it. I once let the oil get low(leaked a little) and it made some disconcerting noise. So I put oil in and figured I would be replacing the engine, but it kept going. I recently used it to tow a 69 Mustang and some parts to MI. What a faithful truck.
I bought the 65 to tow a rig back in Dec. What a risk using an unfamiliar vehicle to go 2,500 miles. Only had 2 problems.
Headlight switch (told that halogens wear the switch quicker)And crack in rubber gas line. Yikes! I pulled into a truck stop and for $5 he fixed it(I gave him a big tip) It even started in 0 degrees.

I said that to say- I want a dependable Ford like my others! I don't want a full size rig - although it appears the drivetrains are more reliable. I like the smaller Bronco's. The 66-77's seem overpriced and I would imagine are less of a daily driver which is what I'm after. I'm not hauling anything besides my lt catamaran. And I can bear to look at Chevy's. And my 4,000 lb Toyota stops on a dime when I let off on the gas.
One other consideration is a CJ-7 ($$). If anyone has any experience with one please holler!
Sorry for mentioning CJ7.
Sorry for rambling again. I do like the Fords though..
( my brother is an engineer at Ford at their R&D department, he drives Tauruses(gets execs cars cheap) but his toys are chevys needless to say he has no input!)
Paul again.

Old 07-31-2001, 08:16 PM
PaulGS
New User
Should I buy a Bronco II

1989 FORD BRONCO II blown Head gasket. $1000 or Make offer 689-9723
87 BRONCO II, 5 speed, sharp, clean, alloys, tow package, straight & runs strong. $2500,88 BRONCO II XLT, automatic, new tires, CD, tow package, 118,000 mi., $2900 For more details, both vehicles. 767-0326
These are the ones in the paper.

A friend just told me about an 1984 That he drove by AC, CC, AT, moonroof (ugh) 130K miles ( some behind motorhome/ on a dolly I hope)Very clean.
$ 1,600.

There are quite a few in Autotrader that are higher priced- I don't think they sell at some of the prices thay are asking.

If it wasn't for the moonroof I would lean in that direction.
$ 1,600 isn't too bad.
Paul