Sponsored by:

I think I broke it

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 12:20 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I broke it

Anyway the other day after playin in some very deep (frame deep) alkai mud in my 81 mudder, down in my dads junk pile (i dug down enough where my 35" bogger couldn't grab any dry stuf for traction, still was able to move front and back about 5 feet, dad had to come down and give me a pull, left some very nice deep ruts and diff trails) anyway after i got the truck back to yard i was diggin out some of the mud with a screwdriver and i noticed that the drivers fron axle shaft moves up and down a good inch, maybe more. So i'm thinking oh crap what now, so a further inspections revealed that both front seals were toast where the axles come out of the diff on the center section of the Dana 44 TTB. Then i found that both rear seals were toast as well.

Anyway instead of fixing the seals i wennt and talk to a buddy who i knew had a 77 F-250 with the snowfight package that had been rolled and tus the body had been pretty wel destroyed. I looked it over and is has dana 60's front and rear with 4.10's, a divorced 205 TC, NV-435 tranny, and a running 400. Anyway i will be getting the truck probably for 300 bucks at the most.

I plan on swapping the front axle int o my 81 (i have the spring pad issue figured out and i discovered that i have a dana 70U sittinin the same junk pile that i was playin in) while giving it its 6" lift that i've been planning on doing. Anyway after this roundabout way of sayin it, but i have about 6-700 dollars to spend on some lockers, and i know that i won't be able to get new ones for that price.

So my question to you guys on here is what should i look to buy on e-bay (i don't really want spool or to weld them shut) for lockers for a dana 60 and a 70?

Old 10-26-2004, 12:30 AM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
i would look on ebay, just watch you don't get ripped off.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
yeah thats what i'm affraid of and i would like to get some info on what to look for to avoid that problem.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:15 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Detroit for the rear will eat up about $400-$500 of that money. Savanah Jones has some awesome deals for ARB's for that D60 if you want a selectable front. Either way I think you'll need to come up with a few more $$ unless you find a stupid lucky deal . . . like you did on that D60.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:09 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
swap meets always have some really great prices....that or rob a 4 wheel parts store!

-cutts-

Old 10-26-2004, 10:48 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah i got lucky on that whole truck, those 4.10's will really help use a faster gear in the mud for some more wheel speed as well as a spare tranny and an extra t-case.

I have the 700 right know and i am saving up for more but i might take a little bit as i will be starting college here in a month. But i know that there is a huge swap meet coming up in a month that is unreal in the amount of parts (you have to register at least 6 months ahead to get a table) that are there. maybe if i get the at the crack of dawn i might be able to get a set for the same price that i will pay for that truck with the 60's.

Anyone know the problem areas for broken detroits and the like?