1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

The wife is going to kill me

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 01:08 PM
1bluexpy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face The wife is going to kill me

(brief history) We have a 03 EB with a sunroof and the vibrations from the wind deflector drive us nuts. I was searching for a way to stop it, when I saw where someone uses a little sponge ball to wedge under it. Problem solved, sponge ball stopped the vibrations and doesn't hurt the deflector.

On to the problem. I got to drive the Expy to work this morning and, as always, I had the sunroof open. I'm sitting at a red light and start to close the sunroof. (It's amazing how fast your reflexes can work in the morning when you here that "pop pop" sound.) Well what-do-you-know, I forgot to take the ball out before closing the sunroof. Crap. I pull into my parking spot and check out the damage. The wind deflector is broken on the driver's side.

Does anyone know how much a wind deflector is and if it is any trouble to replace? I'd like to know how much it is going to cost to fix it before I tell her that we can't use the sunroof.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
steamer1234
Senior User
Talking In trouble

It may be cheaper to get a new wife.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:45 PM
daveplot
Elder User
Looking at an online parts catalog I see the air deflector as part 1L3Z-18500A26-AA and costs $98.82 from my local dealership and $89.36 from fordpartsnetwork.com

Old 10-04-2004, 03:37 PM
1bluexpy
New User
That sounds a little better than $100+. I'll have to see what happens when I tell her...

Old 10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by steamer1234
It may be cheaper to get a new wife.

That's funny.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
1bluexpy
New User
daveplot, thanks for the part number, but I can't get it to work for me. I went to fordpartsnetwork.com and fordpartsmall.com and neither one recognize that part number.

At lunch today, I went to the Ford dealership closest to work and the parts guy couldn't find it in his computer. I'm going to try taking the Expy with me tomorrow or Friday (if the wife will let me touch it again) and show it to him. I didn't have the part number you gave me when I went in, but I'll take it when I go back.

This is getting to be a lot of trouble for one little part....

Old 10-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Elder User
Did it stop rattling after it broke?

Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 PM
1bluexpy
New User
Originally Posted by 1081
Did it stop rattling after it broke?

Good question, you made me think of something...Will it hurt anything if I just remove the deflector all together? Does it serve any other purpose, or is it just there to deflect the wind?

Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
daveplot
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1bluexpy
daveplot, thanks for the part number, but I can't get it to work for me. I went to fordpartsnetwork.com and fordpartsmall.com and neither one recognize that part number.
When I searched at fordpartsnetwork.com with the part number it works.

See if this link works:

http://www.parts.com/partlocator/ind...03&catalogid=2

If it doesn't I chose the collision catalog then roof, sunroof, air deflector.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:47 PM
1bluexpy
New User
Originally Posted by daveplot
When I searched at fordpartsnetwork.com with the part number it works.
If it doesn't I chose the collision catalog then roof, sunroof, air deflector.
Thanks, I must have done something wrong before. It worked this time. The parts guy gave me a print-out of this exact diagram when I was there today. But he know which part was the air deflector, and I didn't want to point at the wrong one, so I'm going to compare it tonight. Seems like he could have found it pretty easily. Oh, well. Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
chaznolan
Junior User
Good question, you made me think of something...Will it hurt anything if I just remove the deflector all together? Does it serve any other purpose, or is it just there to deflect the wind?
I wouldnt, if I hold down the deflector on my 02 expy there is a VERY ANNOYING oscillation at all speeds.
It sounds like the headliner is acting like a large woofer, transmitting very low frequency sound through out the cabin.
YIKES!

Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 PM
crn808
Freshman User
I'd just removed it and try a aftermarket one for 50 bucks.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:12 AM
1bluexpy
New User
I've really screwed up now...

Last night I took the deflector off. Two little screws, fold it over, and it comes right off. But upon closing the sunroof, I forgot about the two little pieces that spring up to push the deflector up. Now, the sunroof won't open. It will still vent, and it tries to open. It'll move back about an inch then stop.

Anyone know where I can get a factory service manual to take the sunroof apart?

I'd take it to the dealer and let warranty cover it, but I think it is a little too obvious that it was my fault. Maybe I need to take it anyway, my luck is getting worse.

By the way, the diagram I got from fordpartsnetwork.com shows the deflector (although, it is not an accurate drawing and I still don't know which part to order), but the diagram the parts guy at the dealership gave me does not show it. Go figure.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:19 AM
steamer1234
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by 1bluexpy
I've really screwed up now...

Last night I took the deflector off. Two little screws, fold it over, and it comes right off. But upon closing the sunroof, I forgot about the two little pieces that spring up to push the deflector up. Now, the sunroof won't open. It will still vent, and it tries to open. It'll move back about an inch then stop.

Anyone know where I can get a factory service manual to take the sunroof apart?

I'd take it to the dealer and let warranty cover it, but I think it is a little too obvious that it was my fault. Maybe I need to take it anyway, my luck is getting worse.

By the way, the diagram I got from fordpartsnetwork.com shows the deflector (although, it is not an accurate drawing and I still don't know which part to order), but the diagram the parts guy at the dealership gave me does not show it. Go figure.
Maybe you just shoot yourself

Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 AM
jbabbler
Senior User
hmmmm, I don't think warranty pays for things when you break it. LOL

I would try to get it open and then replace it with one of the stick on ventvisor windflectors. I like the way they look anyway.

I have the manual for a 1998 on CD if you want a copy email me and I'll send you one.

Quick Reply: The wife is going to kill me