Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:41 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco II hard starting

My 89 Bronco II has been hard starting after it sits for awhile.It cranks up a little rough. Drives great & runs like the devil. It takes 5 or 6 seconds to start. Plugs , wires etc are new. Cranks right up after it has been started and the key turned off. Get a 124 code on a code reader for high voltaage on the throttle position sensor. Replaced the sensor, no change & still get the code. I disconnected the battery when I replaced the sensor. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 11-13-2001, 03:32 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Bronco II hard starting

That should be code 122 low voltage instead of 124. I miss read the code reader. How do you correct for low voltage? Did wiggle test to throttle positoner, no problems. It cranks quicker if you punch the gas peddle when you start cranking.

Old 11-14-2001, 05:07 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Bronco II hard starting

Old 11-20-2001, 03:39 AM
Looty
New User
Bronco II hard starting

I'm new to this forum and entire message board concept, so please forgive me if i go about doing it wrong. but i have the same problem with my 88 bronco II. except, it's slightly more interesting. sometimes i'll have to turn the key more than once to get it started. due to the fact that it's random and sporadic, it sometimes starts on the first. often, it may take up to 3. any idea what that could be? and in simple terms please? i don't know all that much when it comes to mechanics.

thanks

Old 11-21-2001, 06:41 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Bronco II hard starting

Well I changed out the coolant temp sensor today, as the impedance was off about 15 K ohms at 52 degrees. Will see how that does over the next few days.

Old 11-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Bronco II hard starting

Fixed the problem. Bad fuel pump regulator. Even though the temp sensor was off that was not the problem. Pulled the vacum line off the regulator and it had some gas is it. When I checked this back when I started there did not seem to be any. Now the leak was getting worse and there was plenty of gas. So anyone out there with similar problems check your vacum line where it goes into the back of the regulator. If any gas,even a trace, replace it.

Old 12-01-2001, 06:44 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Bronco II hard starting

The new fuel pressure regulator also fixed another minor problem when using cruise contol in hilly areas. It used to drop out of overdrive back and forth when going up steep hills. Now with 4 adults & going 65 on hilly 2 lane country roads it hangs in their & does not go in and out of overdrive.