1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
cheinz46
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau Cover

I'm going to put a tonneau cover on my 57 short bed stepside. I want to put one on that is held in place with velcro. Have any of you done this? If so, how well does it work? Is the adhesive stick to the bed? Does the cover fit well? Would you do it again? Also, where did you get it and is it a quality product?

Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen a velcro application on a tonneau. I've seen snaps on soft tonneaus and hinged hard tonneaus (my preference).
I do know that the adhesive used on velco will creep and degrade under tension in heat. We never use it in the aircraft industry where there will be a constant tension (like holding the tonneau taught) for that reason. Where only the weight of the item (carpeted door panels, etc) is the tension, it's not a problem.
I would think you need a better look at how to secure it.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:36 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My work truck has a cover that we bought that uses velcro on the sides. I don't remember who makes it, but the front is atached to a cross member that is bolted down and the rear clicks into place on some side rails that are part of the cover. This setup uses tension from the front and rear to keep tension and the side rails have velcro to keep the sides down. It seems to be an industrial velcro which I have seen at a fabric store. I don't know how the velcro on my cover is attached to the metal but is done well, no sliding or peeling.

As for performance: It takes some effort to get the velcro to hold down smooth with out any ridges but I do like the cover. This cover may only fit late model trucks, but I like that it has supports in the middle and can be rolled up and strapped down if the bed needs to be uncovered.