1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

292 oil filter won't budge....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:13 PM
gwcrutch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
292 oil filter won't budge....

I can probably figure this one out...but thought I'd ask before going to bed....
The oil filter on my '59 292 won't budge using filter strap turner (thingy)...
Have been spraying on the PB Blaster at end hoping some would get down to bolt...seems like before I've jabbed a big screwdriver through stuck filter and ripped out...it's like I need a huge vicegrips and put a pipe on end for leverage...
any ideas?
Thanks,
crutch

Old 09-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
If it is a spin on type I have ran a large screw driver through one and turned it. Also if there is room you can get oil filter wrenches that fit around the bottom of the filter and grip it like a big nut. Then you can put a large breaker bar on it to turn it.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:35 PM
adunham
Senior User
Like Christopher2 says, those big, socket-like wrenches work really well - especially when coupled with a breaker bar. Of course, you have to have the room available...

On a different note, GREAT avatar. When I was little, my dad insisted I be well educated on the classics, including sci-fi. So as far as I was concerned, the greatest ones out there were The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds, The Thing (original), The Blob (original), and Them. Brings back memories of not too long ago...

-aaron