Sponsored by:

Dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dash

Well this isn't really related to offroad in anyway but since we've already been talking about the custom dash here this is where I'll post my progress. I got rolling on it today. I cut my Lexan to roughly the same height as the stock guage cluster (it's around 8 1/4) but I extended it a fair way. I didn't take measurements before I cut it but I think it was 3 feet long to start with and I cut the whole length. I used a heat gun to warm it so it could be bent. This took a lot of experimenting to find the right heat combo so I didn't scorch the Lexan. I didn't use any particular measurements for bending, I just laid it on the dash to see where I wanted it and then shaped it. The new panel wraps back around and ends about 1.5" from the glove box.

The new frame is just made of cut sheet metal. I marked it out based on the angles I made with the Lexan and then cut it. Using a 3/4 inch strip I tacked it on so that when the Lexan panel is in place it'll sit pretty much flush with the edge of the sheet metal. If I was thinking I would have added a drink holder to the top but I'm an idiot.

My batteries were dead in the auto darkening helmet so I had to weld it all blind. Randy would have been proud. It went okay except for one of my supports which was welded in the wrong position and then took forever to fix. I also managed to burn a few holes in the dash while attaching my new structure. I may not be a great welder but I can slop on fiberglass resin like nobody's business so when all was done I cleaned it up and it looks decent now. The Lexan sheet fits tightly between the top and bottom. As I make progress I'll use Torx screws about every 3" along the edge to hold it in place. They're all bling bling . . . what did you expect?

I removed the ash tray, widened the opening and welded in a new panel below. The new opening looks like a spot for a radio but it's actually the ignition to the left and the cig lighter to the right. I'm using this portion for my auxillary light controls (fog, spots, reverse, flashers). It may also operate my headlights . . . haven't decided on that yet. The control panel is from a cop car . . . bling!

So, here's the plan. The flat portion directly in front of me will house pretty much all my guages. To the right I have the angled portion which is where all the fancy important looking switches will go such as compressor, lockers, fans, nitrous, etc. I'll probably also mount my Rancho control here. I'm thinking I'll cut out the middle and mount my switches on an aluminum sheet so that if I change switches around or need to add something I can just replace a small chunk of aluminum rather than the whole dash. This will also make it easier to work on accessory switches as I won't have to pull the whole Lexan panel out, with guages and all.

Lastly, my radio and heater controls will sit in the next section, dead center of the truck so my passenger can put on some stupid music and screw with the volume. I'll be easily reachable but out of the way. Besides, I have a remote for my CD player . . . duh.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I did cut out all the actual dash behind where my new structure is. This had to be done because of the raised portion in the middle . . . it wouldn't allow the sheet metal to sit flat on the dash. Now everything back there will be open making it EASY to get to wiring, etc.

Pictures:

Last edited by ivanribic; 09-23-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
That is hella-cool! I'm surprised how well you bent that lexan. That thing is going to look awesome when your done. Heck, you could probably make a few extra and sell them on e-bay. I'm just surprised you didn't have the stock section of the dash dipped Man, I wish I had your creative skills

Old 09-23-2004, 04:11 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Lexan will bend really easy if you get it hot enough. The trick was figuring out how to heat it up without scorching it. I was an idiot and tried a blow torch first (experimented on a spare piece). It bent but it bubbled up and turned black. The heat gun was too warm at 1000 degrees unless I kept it moving fast. You'll start to get bubbles on the surface. If I was patient and took my time on the lower setting it wasn't a problem.

Downside is you can't heat it with the protective wrap on there and it gets scratched up with all the other work you do so I think I am going to finish it with a carbon fiber look. I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so. A little rice never hurt anyone. If you were REALLY careful not to scratch it up you could do what I originally planned and paint the back side of it for a trick look.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:54 PM
jopey
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what are you planning to use to make all the holes in the lexan for all the guages.

It does look cool. but I dunno if I would use clear. you would see all the birds nest of wires in the dash behind the guages.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:16 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jopey
so what are you planning to use to make all the holes in the lexan for all the guages.

It does look cool. but I dunno if I would use clear. you would see all the birds nest of wires in the dash behind the guages.
I'm just going to use a hole saw to cut holes for the guages. I believe I've already got the right sizes but if not I'll buy them.

It won't remain clear when I'm done, that's why I was talking about painting the backside of it or, in my case, going over it with carbon fiber look alike stuff. You could use a smoked Lexan or a solid color if you wanted but I was just using what I had at home already.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ivanribic

looks good ivon. I think some windex in an order tho

Old 09-23-2004, 06:40 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Keep us up todate man, that is one sweet dash. When its all done make sure you send some pics my way so that I can see how it came out, might have to experiment a little in the garage...

Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Make sure you test on a spare piece piece ,if you some, when you drill them holes, cause lexan will crack if not drilled right (science fair project involved working with lexan).

Old 09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Mustang, you thinking Lexan (polycarbonate) or plexi? Plexi is brittle and cracks/chips easy when you cut and drill it. Lexan will stop a .40 cal bullet (don't ask me how I know). The material is odd, looks like glass but will not crack or shatter with impact. I tested a piece and smashed it with a 3 pound hammer on the concrete. The hammer leaves a slight distorted impression but will not break it. And I'm only working with 3/8.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:45 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah i still have a sheet of the lexan i used for that science project (4'x6'x3/8"), anyway when i was cutting (sawall)it i made the mistake and used a pretty aggresive blade and i cracked it, and i say when you drill it use the finest hole saw(the ones i have are also farely aggressive) you can cause its something about the rough jagged edges that cause it to crack, and plexi glass does the same thing to (i play hockey and i had to help rebuild the glass along the boards 2 years ago), also the speed you drill the holes can crack it as well.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:31 AM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
ivan---looks good, you gonna set up a center console to meet up to it? that would be pretty cool too. what year grill inserts u gonna use for your truck?

Old 09-25-2004, 10:47 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
No, I'm not tying a center console into it. I have a center console from a newer super duty rig that will sit between my buckets but I didn't like the idea of trying to tie it all together and work around all the shifters.

I got a bit more work done last night and will finish a few things today on the dash to make it ready for paint. I'll snap a few pictures when I get that accomplished. I'm heading to the WSD today to look for new heater controls as I'll be dropping my AC when the new dash goes in. Other than that I'm just waiting on a speedometer basically (which I'll have in a few weeks) and then I'll be ready to complete the panel and install the whole thing. Bling bling! I had another thought last night so today I'm going to pick up some undercoating and use it on the whole backside of the dash to settle the noise down a bit and prevent rattling. I think I'll also build a sheetmetal glovebox to complete it. Now if I could find a way to turn the glove box into a mini fridge I'd be pimpin!

My grill inserts that will go in when I get off my lazy butt are from a 76. I like the old split grills and round headlights.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 AM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
your right about the consol, i didn't think of it that way. i've driven 2wheel cars and my gmc for so long i'm not use to having any shifters in the way, just bare floor. i like the split grills better as well, but i hold some preference to the early ones like mine and pro's. i think the 77s look tougher though. you got a place planned out in the new dash for any tv monitors? lol

Old 09-25-2004, 08:42 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by highboy1975
you got a place planned out in the new dash for any tv monitors? lol
Sad part is you're being sarcastic and the truth is when I designed this dash I planned on having a 7" monitor on the slant portion where all my switches are going now. I also had another design with a 2nd slant toward the passenger for dual sceens. Luckily a few people here smacked the mall crawl out of me and I ditched a lot of my original bling ideas. The only thing trick I was thinking about would be a little camera in the grill and a monitor for rocks and trails so I could see down low but I'm not going to bother on this truck.

I still think it would be cool, one fine day, to get an old crewcab, 68-79 and then put a V10 in it and bling it out with monitors and all that so I could use it as my hauler.

Speaking of which, I've got 2 headrests with monitors that will be going up on ebay soon . . . along with a chrome coolant resevoir.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:36 AM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
yaknow, the idea of the monitor for down low is way cool. it would take some getting use to but that is seriously a good idea. if you don't want to get too creative with it, you could just get a monitor that comes out of your cd player. i'm pretty sure i've seen it at best buy and its a pretty cool setup. i'm not too big on the pimp accessories, i don't even plan on having a radio in my truck, but to have the money to do it, it's fun stuff. could always be like pimp my ride and mount a big plasma screen in the bed or someplace trick

Quick Reply: Dash