Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Looking for advice on 04 Explorer problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 AM
CNY2004EB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on 04 Explorer problems

I purchased a brand new 2004 Explorer on July 27<SUP>th</SUP>. It is an Eddie Bauer, 4.6L V8, 4X4, 3.73 Non LS Advance Trac, Class III/IV Trailer Tow, 290 Watt Audiophile in dash 6 CD, TPMS, Auto Dual Climate Controls, Aux AC, Moonroof, Power Pedals, Power Seat Memory, Rear DVD, Reverse Sensing, Crossbars, Safety Canopy, 3<SUP>rd</SUP> row seat.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

VIN # 1FMDU74W14ZA96876.

<o></o>

I currently have 1400 miles on it. I was told it was built on April 8, 2004. I brought the truck to my local dealer to look at a few items and they blew me off. I am going to bring it in to my purchasing dealer across town but I am looking for some advice on my issues before I do that.

<o></o>

My current problems are:
  • Vibration between 45 and 70 MPH. Been there since day 1. There does not seem to be a noise associated with it other then a slight low frequency “boom”. At certain speeds in the problem range it gets real bad and others it’s better. The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel, rather the whole vehicle shakes. The vibration gets worse when I begin to coast and first put my foot on the brake. Then it diminishes. This is not a brake rotor issue. The truck has BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires P265 45 R17. The tire balance was not checked as the first dealer refused to check it.
    • I believe this is related to Oasis message 17107, available balanced driveshaft and/or 04B15 for improper rear axle lube.
  • When I shift into reverse with the vehicle at any other engine speed then a warm slow idle it goes in real harsh. Sometimes the entire engine bucks under the hood when this happens. Other times it shakes the entire vehicle with an audible thud as it engages.
    • I believe this is related to Oasis message 17883, faulty PCC and software,
  • When making low speed parking maneuvers with the steering wheel turned almost to the full left or right lock and applying gas, both forward or reverse there is a shutter in the driveline. It almost feels like a limited slip clutch problem, but this truck does not have limited slip due to the Advance Trac system. Is the Control Trac 4X4 engaging due to the different tire speeds or is this a problem?
    • There is an Oasis message 17717 but it is only for LS rear axles?
  • When the driver’s side window is fully opened it ends its travel with a loud and rough bang.
    • No known TSB or Oasis messages for this one.
  • Wind noise coming from the moonroof at highway speeds. Rather high pitched. Could it be the roof rail cross bars?
    • No known TSB or Oasis messages for this one.
<o></o>

Does anyone have any experience with these problems and solutions? I won’t feel so bad once I know what the problem is and understand that a solution is possible.

<o></o>

Thanks,

Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM
devil421
Senior User
This is such a specific post regarding TSB's Id suggest posting it on www.flatratetech.com and seeing what you get.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:29 PM
nymets78
Junior User
I had my driveshaft on my '04 limited replaced and the vibration (which was mainly at 65 - 70mph) is not non-existent.

The reverse issue just requires a re-program of the computer by the dealer - mine is fixed.

I have heard the moonroof noise but it depends on the wind direction so I think it is the crossbars that I haven't had time to move yet. I just close the shade and it goes away.

The parking lot issue with the wheel fully turned left or right is something that I experienced occasionally, but since it rarely happens, I haven't questioned it and I would be interested if you get an answer about it.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Z400Pilot
New User
Unhappy

When the driver’s side window is fully opened it ends its travel with a loud and rough bang.
I have an 04 exlorer XLT 4X4 V8 with 1,700 miles on it. I have the same issue with the window if I hit the auto down for the drivers window.

I'd be interrested to hear if anyone else does either.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:36 AM
scrapysnx420
Freshman User
I just got my 04 XLT out of the shop. I had a whine around 60. They replaced my rear (which took over a week to get from Ford), even though there is a TSB on it they told me that there was nothing wrong it was just a "loud" rear. I had the reverse problem as well, They told me it wasen' t the PCM but the Master Transmission Solnoid (forgive my spelling). I also have the bang in the front end when turning. They told me it was a "Normal" sound, um ok.........Here's the best one. My windshield had spots in it, They told me that water must have got between the layers when they made the glass, they replaced it but the hack who did it cracked my trim panel the sits between the window and hood and dinged the hell out of my hood. I have to take it back so they can fix it. Keep you posted. Chris