1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM
50 Merc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another mistake!

Finally got around to try and get some paint on my 50 merc M47, Power train is done. so..... I always liked the look of a satin Black on these old cruisers. Had read a bit on people using John Deere "Blitz black" so without researching this too much I was off to th local dealer and got me some J.D. primer and Blitz Black, To make a long story short I didn,t like the "look" when I finished, so I thought "no problem' I,ll just buff it down and recoat. However people in the know tell me no way, if I try and cover this paint (synthetic enamel) with an epoxy or any 2 part paint, the enamel will just wrinkle up underneath. So it,s back to the sanding board for me. Just a warning to anyone who may be considering this type of paint. Moral of the story - ask,ask,ask, and ask more questions!

Alan

Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Sometimes (most times) it just don't seem to matter how much we research, things like this happen. Rest asured your not alone.. But look on the bright side you get to work on your baby a little longer. for me anyway the building is more fun than the driving.. However that first drive will be so sweet. Hang in there
Good luck
Mike

Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Any kind of non automotive paint is going to be a problem to paint over. Quite a few years ago, when I worked in a body shop, we used what I think was a water based primer that acted as a sealer between the base coat of paint and the more aggresive top coat we were going to apply over it. It was a pink primer but I don't remember what it was called. I think it could have been a Dupont product because my boss only sprayed Dupont paint. The other thing I remember about it was that you could not break the coat or it would fail so you had to make sure you sprayed a nice smoot layer on and not sand it.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I am one of the JD blitz black fans. It is wonderful chassis and floor paint. It's certainly not engine paint though. Hope I didn't contribute to your error.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:21 PM
50 Merc
Junior User
Thanks all for the replys and encouragement, No fat fenders, you didn,t steer me into using this on my cab. I did that all by myself! I am getting some feedback from paint companys now and maybe not all is lost , I may be able to use a 2k urethane primer sealer over this and then cover with whatever I want, and if not I'll just sand it off and start over! ain't it Fun Tho!
When I figure out how to get my gallery up I will post pictures!

Alan