1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

04 Expy Chrome Grille, Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
T0DD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Expy Chrome Grille, Opinions please.

I purchased a new chrome grille for the Expy. It's made by a company called "Street Scene" and it's called the "Speed Grille".

Anyhow, I think it turned out pretty good. BUT..... this is not an easy install. The old grille has to be cut out. You end up with just the frame of the original grille. I had to use a sabre saw to cut all the vertical and horizontal bars out. Then used a dremel to cut it close to edge and sand down to edge. Then I had to paint the outer frame area. On a scale from 1-10 (10 being almost impossible) I'd rate this a 6.5. I wasn't at all excited to find out that I had to cut my grille apart to do this install.

The grille cost, for upper and lower grille (shipped to my door) $237.68 total.

I ordered from www.truckaddons.com They were quick in delivery but didn't send me any sort of confirmation via email.

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think? Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

Old 09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
High_Horse
Elder User
Looks pretty sweet, too bad you had to cut out the original. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I just love those grills! I've been chompin' at the bit to get a set... Your pictures are moving me closer.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:15 AM
T0DD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
I just love those grills! I've been chompin' at the bit to get a set... Your pictures are moving me closer.
Just keep in mind if you do buy that you'll have to do some good patient work. I'm no means a pro at this stuff but I figure I'll give just about anything a try. I get motivated by all these "custom" chopper shows. Having a dremel with a little cutting disk and with a little sanding wheel is pretty much a necessity.

Once it's all said and done I felt a lot better about it. I believe the whole project, over 2 days, took about 4-5 hours total. (paint had to dry that's why it took 2 days)

Anyhow, good luck. And I'm surprised more people haven't given their opinion. I asked for others opinions because I've found that sometimes the things I do.... I like, but others don't.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:14 AM
mikehart929
New User
Nice looking grille, for my taste I would like to see the Ford badge back. Really factory fit!
But what are those sweet looking wheels? Can you show them and what size , 20 or 22?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Matt03Expy
Tuned
While it looks nice, I'm working on a grill that will wind up looking completely stock minus the FORD logo. I really prefer the stock pattern in the grill.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:53 PM
T0DD
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikehart929
Nice looking grille, for my taste I would like to see the Ford badge back. Really factory fit!
But what are those sweet looking wheels? Can you show them and what size , 20 or 22?
They are 22 inch "ION 188" chrome wheels. I got those and the Kuhmo tires from Discount Tire for $2680 out the door.

I need to get my truck washed up and then I'll take some pictures that show wheels and new grille all in one pic.

I can still put the emblem back on.... I just held it up to it... and decided I'd roll without the emblem for a little bit.

Here's a couple pictures...

Old 09-11-2004, 06:51 PM
T0DD
Senior User
I got her all washed up so here's a over all picture with grille and wheels.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:10 PM
High_Horse
Elder User
Sharp!!.....about the only thing I may suggest to add may be some factory rear splash guards. They fit nice to the body and tuck under well, gives a bit lower appearance to.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Russell B
Junior User
Todd, sweet wheels! what size are the tires?

Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 AM
general124
Freshman User
i find the wheels nicer than the grills.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
T0DD
Senior User
Originally Posted by High_Horse
Sharp!!.....about the only thing I may suggest to add may be some factory rear splash guards. They fit nice to the body and tuck under well, gives a bit lower appearance to.
Factory splash guards? Do you have a picture or a link to a picture? I'm I love modding vehicles so I might be interested in your suggestion.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM
T0DD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Russell B
Todd, sweet wheels! what size are the tires?
Tires are Kuhmo Ecsta STX 305/45/22's

From stock tires to these I didn't really notice any difference. The look is obviously different but the ride is virtually the same. Kuhmo's feel like they hold the road better though. The new wheels and tires stick out slightly on the side giving the wheel base a bit wider stance too. Some of my friends refer to it as "chunky" !! LOL

Old 09-12-2004, 09:30 PM
High_Horse
Elder User
If you could tell me how to C&P a pic or post one, I would do it.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
T0DD
Senior User
Originally Posted by High_Horse
If you could tell me how to C&P a pic or post one, I would do it.
If the picture is posted on the internet already... RIGHT CLICK on the picture itself and go down to properties. It will give you a web address of the picture. Highlight the web address for the picture and copy it.

When you go to reply in this forum there is a little icon above the window you type your reply in. It looks like a little mountain with a yellow background (just below clipboard with piece of paper icon) Click the Mountain with Yellow background icon. A window will pop up. Right click in that window and PASTE the web address from the picture into that. Then click OK or SAVE or whatever the command to continue is.

I'm sure I just confused the crap out of you. You could always email me using the email option by my name. I attempted to post it in here but it removed it. Put this all together as one word and it's my email address. ts02r1 @ msn . com If you want to email it to me there that would be great.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 04 Expy Chrome Grille, Opinions please.