Hello and thanks for reading!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 05:41 AM
muzzied
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and thanks for reading!

Hi All!!
I'm new to the site and thought I would start off by saying hello to everyone. My name is Cheryl and I'm extremely new to all this automotive stuff. I know some basics--but very few, and most likely less than that.
The one thing I do know is that I absolutely love my truck. It's a 97 Ranger S. White and in perfect condition with only 40,385 miles on it. I never thought much about doing anything to it or trying to find out anything about it. But that all changed here about 6 mo. ago when I started having all kinds of trouble with how it was running. After 6 months of frustration and $1100.00 later--I came to realize that the problem was actually the mechanic, and not so much my truck. So I decided that I probably should try and learn as much as I could so maybe I wouldn't have to go through something like that again. If I only would of known just a little I would of been able to ask certain questions that would of let him know that I wasn't completely lacking of any knowledge about the situation. Looking back now--I just can't believe the things that he said and did, and the fact that I just thought it was ok. But even "dumb girls" can figure things out eventually.
Well, I don't know how much I've learned so far, but I'm really glad that I found this site. I haven't had the opportunity to read a whole lot yet, but what I have read, has been quite informative and interesting.
When I started looking into all this stuff about my truck and the mechanics of it, I realized that there were quite a few physical changes that I would like to make. Which brings me to the current date.
I'm at a total loss--once again--(go figure) and I'm in need of some help, information, ideas and just basically some answers to what most of you will probably consider self explanitory questions. Believe me, I've tried to find out some of this stuff by myself-- but I'm not getting it! So maybe someone out there will take pitty on me and tell me what the heck I'm doing--or at least trying to do. So please look for me in the forums--I'll be the one with the idiotic questions.
Thanks for taking the time to read my saga--I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Take care!
Cheryl
(nothing like going crazy with the smilies)

Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the site...moved you over here...should help.

Enjoy FTE

Old 09-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Lots of great ideas floating around and lots of helpful people who post here. Don't be shy about asking questions.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:04 AM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome, hopefully you will find all the info you need here and more.

Checkout the Tech info sections as they will have some good project info.
Also, you will probably hear this many times "What codes are you getting". Some parts places will pull codes for free, then again a code scanner is offten a good tool to have. $30+ at parts stores. One more place to start is getting one or both the Chiltons repair manual, and/or Haynes manual ($15+). They both have good step by step repairs. Then when you find out that the book is not clear enough you can ask the folks here to clarify. Chances are someone else either has, or has had the same issue.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:27 PM
muzzied
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the move--and hellos---
There's so much info on this site--and so easily found. Now whether or not I understand any of it --well, that's another story. But you have made me feel very welcome and it's very much appreciated.
I do have a question though, and I'm sure I should probably post it in another area--but I'll give it a shot here. (see Tim, you're going to have to follow me around and move me to the correct areas.) What a job!!!
anyway--I was reading some of the prior threads and some of them are from a while back--if I have a question pertaining to that particular subject, do I respond to that thread, or start a new one. For ex. there's a read first post at the beginning of this forum that goes into a lot of helpful info. But in the section about what's the largest tire size useable--well I still have questions that I didn't see the answer for. Do I post on that thread, or ask a new question on a new thread? I also don't want to irritate anyone by asking questions that have already been asked--but I'll have to admit--some of the things that I read--I just don't get-----Basically sometimes I need flashing lights, diagrams and arrows to get it to sink in--I hope it's alright.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Feel free to start a new thread if you still have questions concerning a subject that you have already tried to find information about.

P.S. Along with the "Technical Info" thread at the beginning of the forum, don't forget about the "Search" function which is a very effective research tool.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:45 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Yea, if you don't find the answer feel free to start a new one. Some times I find it usefull to include links to older threads that are similar but don't quite get to the point I am looking for. Plus it shows that you have searched on your own.

Some people will get irritated if you "hi-jack" their thread, but if your question helps everyone in an existing thread then post away.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!

The only dumb question is one that's not asked, ask away.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:34 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Welcome to FTE Muzzied.

Well we all had to get started sometime, I began in the early 50's hanging around & helping out at the local gararge & watching them repair vehicles.

Now it seems easier to me, as we have well written & illustated repair manuals & best of all, the nice folks on this great site, who all love their trucks & are more than willing to share information to help one another keep them running in top form.

If you would like to begin turning wrenches a little on your ride, you've come to the right place.

As has been said, with a repair manual or two & help from the folks here, you'll likely be able to fix most small things & complete most of the maintanence/service items on your ride, if you so wish.

This alone can save you tons of money & you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself & it was DONE RIGHT!!!!

Or get a good diagnosis on a problem you want to have a pro fix. That way you won't feel your going into a repair blind. Think of it as having all the folks here standing beside you when you take it in for a fix.

This way you'll likely know about what's wrong, the right questions to ask & about how much it'll cost to fix, before you set foot in the shop door, not a bad deal & all at no cost too!!!!

Above all, don't be shy in asking questions, most on this site are very understanding & willing to pass on information freely.

pawpaw is on his first truck, a 99 Ranger 4dr 4.0L 4x2 5spd auto & enjoying every minute driving it. It's a good solid vehicle that'll give many miles of service, if maintained by the book, so enjoy your ride & this site & look after that ride.