Sponsored by: Moser

Thickness of front discs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 04:52 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thickness of front discs?

Concerning 73-79 f100's, what are the numbers of how thick your front disc brake rotors should be? How thick is brand new and how thick is serviceable? Thanks ya'll!

Old 08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
jrsroadhauze
Senior User
28.46mm or 1.12" is the minimum

Old 08-27-2004, 09:29 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
It's almost allways cast into the disc somewhere. It may be hard to find but it's possible aftermarket units might have a different minimum.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:38 PM
wckdclwn911
Junior User
or you can say 2/32nds, or roughly the distance from the top of a penny, to lincolns hair

Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
wickd 2/32 is 1/16. And that isn't very thick. What are you talking about?

Old 09-01-2004, 09:52 PM
wckdclwn911
Junior User
Im talking about the actual thickness of the pad, not including the metal plate that backs the pad. I know that 2/32nds is also 1/16, but at the garages Ive worked at we measured everything in 32nds. It is the same as your tire tread depth, which in VA, if its below 2/32nds, it not inspectable. Some brake pads will have rivets in them, which can also be used to judge when you need to replace them.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
wckdclwn911
Junior User
Never mind, I see you said rotors, not pads. Guess Im reading to fast and the Old Mill aint helping. I cant remember the rotor width, but if you havent found out by tommorrow, Ill let you know

Old 09-02-2004, 02:06 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Hey thanks man. That info is good to know too. I was confused about what we were discussing. Rock on!

Old 09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by beartracks
It's almost allways cast into the disc somewhere. It may be hard to find but it's possible aftermarket units might have a different minimum.
I think all the aftermarket brake rotor's are set at the same minimum thickness as to what is original equipment spec's. Usually on the inside of the rotor on the hub by the fin's is where they cast the minimum thickness.

Originally Posted by wckdclwn911
or you can say 2/32nds, or roughly the distance from the top of a penny, to lincolns hair , Im talking about the actual thickness of the pad,
Where do you buy your brake pad's? Take a look at a penny and tell me that is how thick your pad material is. The actual pad is more like a 1/4" of actual pad thickness. The rivet head itself is about 2/32".

I do not think they are even bonding pad's to the metal plate any more unless you got a lightweight JAP car or something, there were to many problem's with the bonding breaking loose.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:00 PM
CrazyAirman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ranger429
I think all the aftermarket brake rotor's are set at the same minimum thickness as to what is original equipment spec's. Usually on the inside of the rotor on the hub by the fin's is where they cast the minimum thickness.

Where do you buy your brake pad's? Take a look at a penny and tell me that is how thick your pad material is. The actual pad is more like a 1/4" of actual pad thickness. The rivet head itself is about 2/32".

I do not think they are even bonding pad's to the metal plate any more unless you got a lightweight JAP car or something, there were to many problem's with the bonding breaking loose.
Hmmm..... not true... in fact MOST OE and aftermarket pads are now bonded, as its the riveted ones that will heat crack and come loose from the backing plate.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:07 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger429
Most quality pads are bonded. In fact, you want to stay away from the riveted pads, because if you let them grind at all, you *will* be buying a new rotor.

I saw a rotor once where the customer let a riveted pad grind for about a week. the braking surface was completely gone. Worn all the way down to the rotor vents. I had to look at it for a few minutes to recognize it as a rotor.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 PM
CrazyAirman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andym
Most quality pads are bonded. In fact, you want to stay away from the riveted pads, because if you let them grind at all, you *will* be buying a new rotor.

I saw a rotor once where the customer let a riveted pad grind for about a week. the braking surface was completely gone. Worn all the way down to the rotor vents. I had to look at it for a few minutes to recognize it as a rotor.
I had one come in yesterday, on a fullsize Bronco, was ground so bad that the "rotor" portion had literally separated from the hub portion, it was just crashing around in their, and they lady drove it away, because I wouldnt just put pads only in.........

Old 09-03-2004, 05:25 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CrazyAirman, I sold a lot of part's back in the 80's and all I saw returned was the bonded pad's coming back on account of seperation. Maybe they have changed there "gluing" method. I still do quite a few brake job's and I have yet to see a set of bonded pad's come over the counter from the part's man for a chebby or a FORD, in fact my sister just brought over a set for her grand am that I have to change, they are riveted as well. With 6 or 8 rivet's in a brake pad they can heat crack but the chance's of the broken pad falling out are quite slim as the rivet's will still hold it in place somewhat.