Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Filling up at truck stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
danielboone4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling up at truck stops

OK, this is a stupid question. Does anybody ever feel a little bit confused and intimidated at big truck stops? I usually have the luxury of filling up at familiar gas/diesel stations, but every now and then I get on the interstate for a long distance trip. Usually at the big truck stops they have a small area for gas and a large area for diesel for the semis. Most of the pumps have the larger filler nozzles that will not work in my truck without a modification. I don't really care to do this modification. Sometimes there is even a line and I am afraid to get in line and then find out I would not be able to use the pump anyways. Is there anyway to tell from a distance if it is a large or small nozzle. I usually avoid these truck stops if I can. Surely some of you have some advice for me. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

The truck stops that I usually stop at here in Washington, and the ones along the I-5 corridor through OR and Northern CA have "our kind of pumps" usually mixed in with the gasoline pumps. But I have to say that I probly would feel a little awkward pulling in a line for BIG oil burners if there wasn't a choice.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:25 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
I don't know of a way to tell just by looking at the pump from a distance. I do know that I do it all the time. I will use the "Big trucks" pump rather than the one diesel pump "usually" on the other side of the station. I think the tanks that store the diesel for larger trucks have a better turn around on the diesel being stored. It might all just be in my head, but I like to think it is fresher.
Just my .02 worth

Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use the big rig pumps. Especially if I am towing my 5er. I do it for the same reason as Fordafied. As long as you do not act like an A## truckers do not seem to mind.

Fire Rooster

Old 08-27-2004, 04:52 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
I don't go to the big truck side to fill because when I drove big truck it was bad enough waiting on the other "drivers" to fill without waiting on an RV or P.U . Most truck drivers are on pretty tight schedules and I don't want to hold any of them up when I can fill my P.U on the other side of the truck stop . I know Flying J and some others have dedicated RV pumps Kinda off by themselves, and if you get a Flying J prefferd RV customer card you can even get a discount .

Old 08-27-2004, 05:01 PM
NinjaRacer
Freshman User
Hehe...the only thing I hate is trying to top off using those pumps at the truck stops. Man, they pump alot of fuel very quickly!

Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 PM
McHarward
Junior User
Smile

For Me It Has To Do With What I Am Towing. When I Have My Tt With My Atv's Behind It No Way Can I Go Through The Normal Gas Station Pumps. I Have Even Had A Trucker Get Out And Ask About My Bikes While Filling. Don't Be A Jerk And Just Fit In.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:10 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with MCHARWARD on that one - if I was towing something cool I'd definitely pull in with the big riggers - but.... Now that I've got stacks - I think I feel right at home at the pumps with the bigger bretheren!!

Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Bruce1026
Junior User
I just pulled a 33' RV to Mass and back from Alabama. I used truck stops almost all the time. I have never found that the nozzle was to big for my tank openiong though the flow can be a problem. I never had a problem with the truck stops but the regular stations are a pain and getting in and out is a pain when towing. Never had a bit of a problem with truckers in any of the stops. Even parked with the big boys and that was not a problem either-good people.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:23 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
Thumbs up

Bruce , I wish more people shared your view of drivers

Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

I don't want anybody to get me wrong on my original reply, if I'm towing a stock trailer or anyting of considerable length, I'll pull into the truckers pumps. But, when I don't have nothing behind me in tow, I try not to hold up progress cause I got plenty of time.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:49 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I use both. If I'm towing the 5ver I'll use the truck pumps or if the truck pumps have several empty bays and no lines I'll fill at the truck pumps(faster that way). If there is a line of trucker waiting I'll stay out of their way and go to the gas/diesel pumps. If I had an auxilary tank that would take more than the 28+- that the short bed holds I'd go to the big truck side so it didn't take all day to fill.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Kentucky Skipper
Junior User
The only time I have a real problem with the larger nozzels is if they have been ran over by an 18 wheeler. They get squeezed flat and won't fit. Whoever designed these truck stops and gas stations here and began fixing the pump islands where you have to aim in toward the store instead of pull beside the store didn't tow anything. It's not that I'm a straight road truck driver, I can back and can drive, but there's only so much you can do when there's not enough room to pull up and turn out, so yes when towing, I end up at the truck pumps and hope I get a round nozzel. I also tend to go to those pumps to get air. Those little dinky 50 cent pumps they have these days that allow you to pump 35 psi before they shut off won't do the trick, but the ones at the truck stop beside the truck pumps are free of charge to use, and they'll pump 80 psi into a tire.

Skipper

Old 08-31-2004, 10:31 AM
McHarward
Junior User
No Other Way To Fill Up My Camping Train Than At The Semi Pumps. 67 Feet Is Alote Of Fun When You Get Where You Are Going, But Not In The Chevron Parking Lot.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:27 PM
shendoa
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCHARWARD
No Other Way To Fill Up My Camping Train Than At The Semi Pumps. 67 Feet Is Alote Of Fun When You Get Where You Are Going, But Not In The Chevron Parking Lot.
67 feet? I thought one was only allowed under 60 feet unless with special permit.

Quick Reply: Filling up at truck stops