Need a OBD II SCanner

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 04:20 PM
69crewcab
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a OBD II SCanner

GRoup
i have a ACTRON OBD II Scanner, and with the problems i've been having with my 97 F-350, I;ve been scanning for codes and it says all PaSS.
When driving today I got a check engine light, which meand it should have stored a code, and i still got all Pass. i called Actron and they told me Vehicles over 8500 GVW do not follow OBD II guidelines and there scanner
will not work.
What should i Use then??

Old 08-20-2004, 10:34 PM
PickSty
Junior User
Lots of confusion on this. The common belief is that all 1996 and later vehicles are OBDII compliant, but this is not true for diesels. Look for a decal under the hood which will tell you whether or not your truck is OBDII compliant. I suspect it's not even though it may have an OBDII data port. Check out the AutoXray EZ-Read 2000. It will read codes for both OBDI and OBDII compliant vehicles and can read OBDI data connected to an OBDII data port which your Actron cannot. A google search will put you in touch with dealers. Its cost is about $180.00.

Last edited by PickSty; 08-20-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:32 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Or another option is to get a tuner like the SCMT or edge evolution. They have the ability to scan for codes plus you now have a tuner for future modifications. I am in the same boat right now. Problems with the truck and no way of getting the codes other than going to a shop and paying $50 each time. Adds up in a hurry. For around $300-$400 you can get your hands on a good tuner with built a in DTC reader.
Mike

Old 08-22-2004, 08:44 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This one does the diesel specific tests, so it's a reasonable assumption that it will read the codes. It's also the one that has been recommended to me, so if I ever decide to buy one......

It looks like it will perform all the functions of the Rotunda NGS at about 1/3rd of the cost.

Last edited by cookie88; 08-22-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
PickSty
Junior User
Originally Posted by mjwhip2
Or another option is to get a tuner like the SCMT or edge evolution. They have the ability to scan for codes plus you now have a tuner for future modifications. I am in the same boat right now. Problems with the truck and no way of getting the codes other than going to a shop and paying $50 each time. Adds up in a hurry. For around $300-$400 you can get your hands on a good tuner with built a in DTC reader.
Mike
That's exactly what I did, Mike. I opted for the Edge Evolution and it came in a couple of days ago. I wanted a code reader, but I also wanted a towing program to go along with my Sonnex valve and tricumulator springs. I don't regret spending the extra money.

Last edited by PickSty; 08-22-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:04 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Originally Posted by cookie88
This one does the diesel specific tests, so it's a reasonable assumption that it will read the codes. It's also the one that has been recommended to me, so if I ever decide to buy one......

It looks like it will perform all the functions of the Rotunda NGS at about 1/3rd of the cost.
Only problem I see is that one has to own a PDA to connect to. I could just be behind the times and be the only person without one. I just can't seem to justify the expense when I have spend all my money on moding my truck.

Picksty, I take it you would recommend the Evolution. I'm thinking about picking one up in the morning. It was a close race between the SCMT and the Evo. I just like the fact that Edge products is based about 20 miles from me. Makes it possible to talk face to face with them in the event of a problem.
Mike

Old 08-22-2004, 09:09 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
You can get a PDA with the Ease scan tool software, or radio shack or whatever.

The Diablo preedator has a better scantool onboard than the SCMT does, you can do the live data logging and stuff with the Diablo. Don't know much abut the Edge.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:17 PM
PickSty
Junior User
Originally Posted by mjwhip2
Only problem I see is that one has to own a PDA to connect to. I could just be behind the times and be the only person without one. I just can't seem to justify the expense when I have spend all my money on moding my truck.

Picksty, I take it you would recommend the Evolution. I'm thinking about picking one up in the morning. It was a close race between the SCMT and the Evo. I just like the fact that Edge products is based about 20 miles from me. Makes it possible to talk face to face with them in the event of a problem.
Mike
I don't know that I could "recommend" one over the other as they are both good products. Price was my main consideration. I got the Edge off eBay for $314.00 including shipping. This was a "Buy It Now" price so I didn't have to bid to get it. Re: the Predator, my understanding that it is for 1999 and up and your signature says you have a 1997.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:19 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Just read something interesting. According to the superchips website, it states "As with other MAX MicroTuners, this unit does have DTC reading capabilities but only on 6.0L Power Stroke applications."
I thought others have used this on their 7.3's. Is it just a typo on the site or is it in fact true? Puts them out of the running for me.
I have heard many good things about the Predator. But motorhaven only has it for the 99+ superduties. Do they make one for the 97's and earlier?
Mike

Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, no such thing as a Predator for a pre-1999 Power Stroke and there probably never will be one (95% of the market for a tuner is with vehicles newer than 3 years old).

Old 08-22-2004, 09:30 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Oops, should have paid more attention to detail. The Ease unit will work on all Fords 96 and newer.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:25 AM
69crewcab
Elder User
Is it me or does the Ease unit look alot like the Auto Tap Unit with the PDA??

Old 08-23-2004, 08:47 AM
PickSty
Junior User

I emailed Ease about the Palm-FRD2-PT-01 since its description reads like other scanners I investigated. Their response is as follows:

This scan tool package that you have listed is for OBD II USA compliant
vehicles only. It doesn't support OBD I Ford vehilces. We do have and
OBD I Ford scan tool package, however it is for the Desktop or Laptop
PC. We don;t have anything that is OBD I for the pda's. If you have
any other questions please feel free to e-mail me or call me at
1-888-366-3273 or 570-465-9060. Thank you for your time.
Alan Brown
Sales

I know that 1996 vehicles (PSDs) are not OBDII compliant, and in another forum, a member stated that his 1997 had a sticker stating that it was not OBDII compliant. It would be helpful to know when Ford started making PSDs OBDII compliant.

Last edited by PickSty; 08-23-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:11 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
It would be helpful to know when Ford started making PSDs OBDII compliant.
It would also be helpful to know why a non OBD II vehicle would have an OBD II access port on it.

Evidently Ford dosen't have any problems pulling codes with the NGS, so it would be the best one to own, unfortunately it runs abut $2000.

Last edited by cookie88; 08-23-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
PickSty
Junior User
Smile

It would also be helpful to know why a non OBD II vehicle would have an OBD II access port on it.

Evidently Ford dosen't have any problems pulling codes with the NGS, so it would be the best one to own, unfortunately it runs abut $2000.
Ford - International has published the following dated 4/1/03:

"1997 MY OBD System Operation Summary for the 7.3L Diesel Engine."

In it they make the following statements:

"Federal OBD applies to all gasoline engine vehicles up to 8500lbs. GVWR starting in the 1996 MY and all diesel engine vehicles up to 8500lbs. GVWR starting in the 1997 MY."

Further:

"If a vehicle is not required to comply with OBD-II requirements, it utilizes an OBD-I system." And, "OBD-I vehicles use the same PCM, J1850 serial data communication link, J1962 Data Link Connector and PCM software as the corresponding OBD-II vehicle."

Unfortunately, they do not give a reason as to why an OBD-II data port is used on a OBD-I vehicle, but it seems a moot point

When I was researching whether to get a code reader or code reader/tuner, I emailed Actron, AutoXray and Equus. My question to each was the same; namely, "I have a 1996 PSD which is OBDI compliant but has an OBDII data port. Will your OBDII code reader work with it?" Actron never responded, Equus said "No," and AutoXray said "Yes."

Last edited by PickSty; 08-23-2004 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a OBD II SCanner