2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Door Panels - Install New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 AM
papawoodie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Door Panels - Install New Speakers

Its time to replace the stock speakers in the doors. What is the trick to remove the door panels? i have removed many door panels in the past to replace speakers, and they have come off very easily.

After removing the screw at the bottom, is there another "trick" one must do to remove the door panel and gain access to the speakers?

Maybe i am being a wuss and just not pulling on the panel hard enough, but i would think it would have came off with the force i used.

Any suggestions/diagrams out there?

Thanks.

2004 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 - Bright Red
Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit
Airaid Intake
20% tint all around
Crimestopper CS2011RS Alarm/Remote Starter
Alpine CDA-9827 Head Unit
2 Audiobahn 10" Woofers (custom made box)
Kicker ZR240 Amp

On Deck Mods:
Magnaflow Exhaust
Rhino Bedliner
Tonneau Cover
Throttle Body Spacer

Old 08-13-2004, 10:36 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
There are screws along the bottom and side edge of the panel and another that's hidden underneath a small cover plate that is behind the interior door handle. The small plate must be snapped out before you can access the last screw. Other than that, the door panel has snap-type pins around its perimeter.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:42 AM
papawoodie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by txfx4x4
There are screws along the bottom and side edge of the panel and another that's hidden underneath a small cover plate that is behind the interior door handle. The small plate must be snapped out before you can access the last screw. Other than that, the door panel has snap-type pins around its perimeter.
Are you 100% sure on this? I don't want it to cost me a door panel i guess.

In another forum, i was told this:
"There are the two bottom screws, two behind the door handle, and another one under the Powerwindow/Door lock switch."

and this

"just take off the speaker grills, you don't have to take apart the whole door!!! They pop right off..."

Has anyone removed just the door grills?

Old 08-13-2004, 10:47 AM
75Player
Senior User
You HAVE to remove the grills to get the speakers out. In fact, you can't take the door panel off without removing the speakers first. The speaker grills pop right off with a screwdriver.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
papawoodie
Freshman User
I love hearing that! Sounds like it's a pretty simple job them to change out the speakers!

You guys have been awesome, I will look at attempting to remove the grills from the door panel and change the speakers out that way.

Thanks for the super fast replies as well. This forum kicks some major butt.

Now, next question, i have been looking around for group buys on items for F150, but rarely find any! Someone (not me, i dont trust myself) should get some group buys going for some parts for these trucks! Some of the sponsors of this site should throw up some specials for group buys on 10 or more buys on the same item!

Lets start out with like Airaid intakes, Throttle Body Spacers (poweraid), Daystar leveling kits (God knows these kits kick serious butt). That way we can get some of these users (such as myself) off Ebay, and buying from the group here and supporting the site more!

Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 PM
masssheltie
New User
Does anyone know what kind of speaker system is installed with the Lariat High End audio system? Are there separate woofers, tweeters and mids? Are there mounts for these brackets in the doors already?

The factory speakers aren't great.

Chris

Old 08-13-2004, 05:16 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
[QUOTE=papawoodie]Are you 100% sure on this? I don't want it to cost me a door panel i guess.

No, not 100%. I installed a new outside mirror and had to remove the door panel to do it. I recall removing the speaker grill (unsnapping it at the little indentations) but don't remember removing the speaker itself. I think I just unplugged it. Whatever, as I previously stated, removing the door panel is self-explanatory once you figure out where the screws are. It doesn't require enough force to break anything and, if it does, you haven't got all the screws out.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:32 PM
papawoodie
Freshman User
[QUOTE=txfx4x4]
Originally Posted by papawoodie
Are you 100% sure on this? I don't want it to cost me a door panel i guess.

No, not 100%. I installed a new outside mirror and had to remove the door panel to do it. I recall removing the speaker grill (unsnapping it at the little indentations) but don't remember removing the speaker itself. I think I just unplugged it. Whatever, as I previously stated, removing the door panel is self-explanatory once you figure out where the screws are. It doesn't require enough force to break anything and, if it does, you haven't got all the screws out.
I completed replacing all 4 speakers today, it was actually a cinch.

Thank you ALL for the support and information.

Now, i have a dual 10" down fire box loaded with Audiobahn subs under the back seat, but they are useless because i have no place to mount an amplifier.

Any suggestions where to mount an amp? Anyone have images? I got cable all ran for it, and it sucks thinking i may just have to put the amp on the floor where your feet would go if you were sitting in the back seat..

Any suggestions/images of what has been done already?

Old 08-16-2004, 03:49 PM
DerisionBass
New User
Put the amp under the passenger seat if it will fit. Depends on the amp I guess.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
papawoodie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DerisionBass
Put the amp under the passenger seat if it will fit. Depends on the amp I guess.
The only issue with that, is the air duct under the seat. I can't have hot air blowing on an amp...it's gonna blow!

Here are some thoughts, comments please!

1. I want to re-mount my jack somewhere, because my sub box goes under both seats. Also, i have an Airaid intake under the hood, can anyone think of a good mounting spot for the jack with the new intake?

2. Still thinking of where i am going to mount my amp. I have seen pics on cardomain.com showing a 3" or so block that was stuck under the back seat brackets to raise the seat up 3". If i were to do this, i could easily mount the amp on top of the box and be macaroni. Has anyone else seen this done? Do you know if the blocks can be purshased online at a store, or if they must be custom made?

What issues do you people forsee with this? I think the back seat could easily be raised 2.5 or 3" without losing any major headroom or anything.

3. I had a kick butt magazine mailed to me today which was filled with all kinds of custom accessories made just for the 04 F150. It goes anywhere from splashguards to exhaust, to grizzly bars, to Billet gas lids, all the way to Grills, mirrors, bras, and colored gauge faces for all 04 F150 models.

The link to have this free catalog mailed to you is https://www.mossmotors.com/CatalogR...equestForm.aspx or http://www.f150store.com/

This sure gives you a new outlook on what can be done to your truck. Really sharp!

Old 09-06-2004, 02:30 PM
hoff
Junior User
oops wrong way dumb a--!!

Has anyone broken their speaker grills on their supercrew rear door panels? Removed mine and broke all the tabs on the right rear .Found out that the whole door panel had to be removed unlike the front.Can't wait to see what this will cost to fix.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:39 PM
papawoodie
Freshman User
Ohh my....if you start reading from the start of this thread, it tells you that! Remember to always check here for easy, fast ways to repair/fix stuff.

There are some screws/bolts inside the door, which holds the speaker grills on....

Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand are the speakers?

What brand are the speakers?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 AM
papawoodie
Freshman User
My factory speakers were a generic Ford brand.....the ones i installed were Audiobahn's (6.8's).

The sound differenece is totally worth it! No questions asked.

However, some ford trucks come with optional upgraded sound systems...i'm not toally sure what speakers they have....power aquistics is sticking out at me, but i could be totally wrong.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I am trying to figure out the difference between my system and Audiophile

Thanks, I am trying to figure out the difference between my system and Audiophile.

I have a 04 SCrew with 6 Disc In Dash and DVD Entertainment System integrated with Stereo.

Silver/Grey speaker covers, not sure if all systems have that, but Audiophile I saw had those... Didnt notice the covers on others.

I dont have the subs, so I am wondering if my system is the same or different and if I can add the sub or not if I can find one....