2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 AM
timhood
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing a DVD Player

I bought my truck without the DVD player. We're about ready to take it on a long trip and I'm thinking the DVD player might be good to keep three kids occupied and reasonably quiet.

Two questions: First, is there a place I can buy the DVD player (the one that goes in the overhead rail system) at a discount? Second, is this something I could expect I would be able to install myself, or is this a matter best left to the dealership? It seems like it would be almost plug-n-play with the rail system, but what do I know?

Thanks,

Tim

Old 08-13-2004, 08:53 AM
jdmclemore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the problem you will run into is that your truck does not have the DVD harness necessary to connect the factory DVD player. On the '04s, if you didn't order the DVD player, you didn't get the harness. I think on the '05 the DVD harness will be an option (maybe standard?) so you can add it later if you want.

You *might* be able to order this harness from Ford and have it installed but I'm not sure - maybe someone else here can confirm.

But at that point you're probably better off going aftermarket - the Ford DVD player is $1295 retail.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
timhood
Senior User
That's not good

Originally Posted by jdmclemore
I think the problem you will run into is that your truck does not have the DVD harness necessary to connect the factory DVD player. On the '04s, if you didn't order the DVD player, you didn't get the harness. I think on the '05 the DVD harness will be an option (maybe standard?) so you can add it later if you want.

You *might* be able to order this harness from Ford and have it installed but I'm not sure - maybe someone else here can confirm.
So your saying even the dealer might not be able to put it in--damn. But in any event, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to do it myself. Well, I'll call the local dealer and see what they say. When I was ordering the truck, I asked if I could put the DVD player in later and they said I could. If I knew that I couldn't I might have thought more seriously about doing it when I ordered.

I thought about aftermarket, but I don't want to replace the Audiophile 6-CD system in-dash and I don't like those strap-on portable systems. That pretty-much leaves me with something overhead. I don't know of anything that would even fit overhead, let alone look as nicely integrated.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:52 AM
vader716
Junior User
"So your saying even the dealer might not be able to put it in"

That's my understanding. They are working on the wiring harness to retrofit an 04 now but to my understanding it isn't available yet. Also I don't think you get the added features with the retrofit harness like dual sound controls (radio up front and the DVD in the rear). I could be wrong about that though.

I waited an ordered my truck with it installed because no one was sure what would and wouldn't work on a retrofit.

Good Luck with it.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:26 PM
STXTEXAS
Junior User
I got my dvd system put in my excursion at a local stereo shop for $1195.00 including labor. It included one 5" monitor in passenger sunvisor and two 5" monitors in two headrest behind driver and passenger seats, dvd player,signal booster and signal splitter. You might check with Circiut City or Best Buy.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 PM
timhood
Senior User
What about the player?

Originally Posted by STXTEXAS
I got my dvd system put in my excursion at a local stereo shop for $1195.00 including labor. It included one 5" monitor in passenger sunvisor and two 5" monitors in two headrest behind driver and passenger seats, dvd player,signal booster and signal splitter. You might check with Circiut City or Best Buy.
Where did they install the player? In-dash? Overhead? Somewhere else?

Old 08-13-2004, 06:13 PM
STXTEXAS
Junior User
They installed it in the center console. They did a great job of hiding all wiring. The only wires you can see is when the headrest is raised. I don't use the headrest so they look great. It took one complete day for them to do it but well worth the wait. They told me that they could put one in my 2004 f150 STX supercab for around $895.00 also. This one would come with 7"monitor and dvd unit (pioneer) for the overhead and one 5" monitor for the passenger sunvisor. We have some stores down-town here (McAllen Texas), (Brownsville Texas) where I live in south texas that have dvd,mp3,cd systems that will work and they could install them in any make of auto. These stores are run by japanese and are will to do anything for you. Its close to the mexican border so we get people from mexico that come and buy from them because of the good prices. I'm going to have the cat back flowmaster system put on my f150 for $150.00 with dual stainless steel exhaust pipes.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:03 AM
timhood
Senior User
Thanks for that info.

Wow, a cat-back system for $150, stainless even!

Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
We are close to releasing the ford harness for 04 trucks. the 05's have an option to get the harness installed. comments like these on the board have helped us convince Ford that there is a demand for DVD's on 04 trucks and it is worth it to release this harness.

so I will keep you posted when the harness is available.

and yes the factory dvd is much more integrated with the radio than any aftermarket DVD. (and is covered under warranty)

thanks for the interest

BTW, we installed the harness in my personal 04 truck and documented it with pictures and instructions to go with the harness. it takes about 2 hrs to do. not hard, just nerv racking having your $35K truck in parts and pieces for awhile. looked good as new when done though,

Ramb
( Chief engineer, Prod Development for supplier who manufactures Overhead Rail and DVD)

Last edited by rambunctious; 08-16-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
timhood
Senior User
Great news

Originally Posted by rambunctious
We are close to releasing the ford harness for 04 trucks. the 05's have an option to get the harness installed. comments like these on the board have helped us convince Ford that there is a demand for DVD's on 04 trucks and it is worth it to release this harness.

so I will keep you posted when the harness is available.
Wow, that is GREAT news. I imagine that this probably won't be coming down the pipeline for a little while, perhaps a couple of months. I just have to figure out what we're going to do to keep the kids happy on the upcoming trip! When I bought the truck I thought about getting the DVD. I asked the dealership and they said it could be added later, no problem. So I figured I'd wait and see. If I knew it wasn't going to be so easy, I probably would have gone ahead and gotten it then.

and yes the factory dvd is much more integrated with the radio than any aftermarket DVD. (and is covered under warranty)
I hear you there. I found a system by Farenheit (also one that looks the same by NESA and Power Acoustiks) that allows the base to be cut/modified to fit around the rails and looks at least semi-integrated, but it seems that most systems transmit the DVD sound via FM so you have to tune to an FM station to get the sound on the stereo speakers.

Ramb
( Chief engineer, Prod Development for supplier who manufactures Overhead Rail and DVD)
I guess that would be Johnson Controls? You guys deserve a huge pat on the back for developing what is probably the best product that directly impacts the customer that I've seen in years! There are a nice bunch of items available for the system already and I am interested to see what will be available in the future. The rail system was one key feature that I really sought when getting the truck.

Last edited by timhood; 08-17-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: to fix quoting
Old 08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
5.4Crew
Freshman User
My wife and I just took a trip with the kids in our Screw. 1200 miles round trip.

I boought a power inverter ($49.00) put her laptop on the armrest and held it there with a velcro strap. Rested the leading edge of the laptop on a cooler that was nearly the same height so both kids could see the screen, (and it sat far enough back so we could use the armrest up front) and DVD's kept the kids happy the whole trip.

Crude but effective.........

Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
vader716
Junior User
I love the rail system. Or rather I love its potential. Right now I have the factory DVD, a small bin and a large bin. I was going to buy the inverter and the snake lights but why pay for what amounts to a regular inverter in a ford logoed bag.

I just can't pay for two more bins (which I don't need) with overpriced options. The minute they come up with the electronic add ins and really get creative with the bins I'm there.

I just want some options....give me a catalog of options....even just the inverter in a ford bag without the bins and I'd buy it.

Come on Ford....roll out those options

Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
hoff
Junior User
check online for power acoustik brand-you can find an in dash dvd playerwith am/fm160 watts for around $100.00 and a 14"flip down for $600.00 basic skills and mount the flip down to the factory rails

Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 AM
timhood
Senior User
Mounting question

Originally Posted by hoff
check online for power acoustik brand-you can find an in dash dvd playerwith am/fm160 watts for around $100.00 and a 14"flip down for $600.00 basic skills and mount the flip down to the factory rails
Have you done this? The only question in my mind would be how/where to get power for the unit. I've seen those systems, they transmit sound on FM, so that makes that part easy. Though I haven't really looked closely, I haven't seen how you get inside the overhead rails...there's supposed to be power in there.

BTW, where'd you see a 14" for $600, that seems to be about the price of a 10".

Old 08-28-2004, 02:25 AM
j_obeck
New User
Has there been any word if the 2005 F250's will get FACTORY DVD? If not, will the EB system retro into a F250?

Quick Reply: Installing a DVD Player