Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

10 mpg!!! E Fuel Injection or Computer glitch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:59 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

92 ford explorer 4.0 v6, automatic with auto 4x4 and low range (stupid buttons in dash)... i'm getting about 125 on every tank here in town.. i know the suv class are gas pigs but this is crazy. it's not jammed in 4x4 either cuz it can still tear donuts although the 4x4 would act up and make this scary grinding noise i can hear especially at low speed when stopping and needs lots of extra backing up to put it back in rear drive.

i took it to wal mart cuz there was a grand opening sale on EFI cleaning. but the mechanic told me instead of cleaning the Fuel Injection it might be computer related. he says Ford has this never die feature that will just pump more gas while other makes would just die under a similar conditions. mind you he explained it in french.

why am i using so much gas?

anyone heard of this computer glitch feeding more fuel?

what is creating this need for more fuel?

should i change the air filter or something?

is there an inexpensive way i can clean my EFI myself like rigging it up to a pressure washer or soaking the injecters in a few bottles of that gasoline additive? mind you i already got in trouble once for putting my rims in the dishwasher.

Old 03-05-2002, 08:18 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a mechanic friend of mine also asked if i had an exhaust problem... said a backfire or other exhaust malfunction could cause excess fuel consumption but i got nothing... the muffler and the catalytic are both history so the fumes are going straight out and couldn't be blocked

Old 03-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

>
>why am i using so much gas?
Check your fuel pressure. If the regulator is failed, the pressure could be high and you will use lots more fuel. Also, the O2 sensor could be bad as well as the MAF being dirty or the ECT being bad.

>should i change the air filter or something?
You should get caught up on all your basic maintenance first.

>is there an inexpensive way i can clean my EFI myself like
>rigging it up to a pressure washer or soaking the injecters
>in a few bottles of that gasoline additive?
If you are mechanically skilled, you can remove the injectors yourself and take them to a shop that has an ultrsonic cleaner. (Sorry, a dishwasher won't work in this case.) The shop should also test them for leaks and replace the o-rings, filter baskets, pintle caps and check that they are OK electrically. Prices for this service in my area run from about $17.50 to $33 per injector.

Old 03-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Explorer94GV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts