1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Check Engine Light and EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:44 PM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I feel special! *tee hee* I had the same problem (DPFE) but Ken's the man! I just about flipped out but he had a very right suggestion... I bought some tools, a replacement sensor, and I fixed it! Yay! I'm still excited that my truck is better!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
MyRanger4Ever
Freshman User
Do you feel any notice in gas and performance? Mine has been on for awhile and going to get the part Thursday and fix it.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:56 PM
muzzied
New User
I wish I could of read this thread a few months ago. My check engine light came on but my mechanic suddenly became an idiot. He said he checked the codes and all was right--reset the computer, and the light didn't come back on before I got home. It was surging when I would stop at a stop sign--but only after driving it for about 20 min.--With every trip to the mech. it was just more money--and no progress. He replaced everything you can think of--finally I just took it to Ford, and it was fixed in a half a day. It turned out it was that sensor unit. All that fuss for just that, and it only cost around $76.00. I say only, cause my "old" mechanic--took me for a little over $1000.00. I have to ask though--when they ran the test on it, did it say it was running lean, on and off? And also--could I have just cleaned this unit instead of replacing? Would be great to know for any future problems. Once again, I'm glad I came to this site. Very nice to know it wasn't just my bad luck.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM
muzzied
New User
Red face ooops!

After I wrote the last post, I got to thinking about the name of the unit that I had a problem with. It was the manifold airflow intake sensor....??? I think, which may or may not pertain to this thread---YIKES--sorry if it didn't--but the trouble seemed the same. If possible, could someone let me know if it's the same, or what the difference is?--LEARNING...LEARNING...LEARNING
Thanks

Old 09-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
muzzied, sounds like your talking about the MAF (mass airflow senser), not the same as the DFPE.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 AM
muzzied
New User
Thanks

Yep--you're right--that's the name of it!! Sorry for the mix up, I'll try and ramble about anything apparently. Now I need to look the other one up so I know what it does. Thanks again.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
garebear
New User
Changed DPFE but....

Hi Guys,
I changed my DPFE, the check engine light hasn't come back on,
seems to run fine.... except now it's hard to start when cold (turns over, but
has a hard time catching) and what I find kinda strange, when I put it in
park, the engine idles down instead of up. Did I get a bad DPFE, or do I have
other problems? Thanks for any insight!
Garry

Old 11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
dcale101
Freshman User
Did you reset the computer? If not, disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 20 minutes and then reconnect. This will reset the computer.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:26 PM
vikin11
Freshman User
My 2000 3.0 xlt did the same thing, tech cleared the light and said it may come back, the hose connection had corrosion...and sure enough a week later it came back he said it was the sensor, about $80.00 at the dealer...i would like to try and clean mines before i hand over $80.00...my question is, how hard is it to clean it?

Michael

Old 11-18-2004, 11:59 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My "Check Engine" light went on

And I took it to Auto Zone and had it checked. It was some emissions code. I drove my 2001 Ranger 3.0L for another 6000 miles before I took it to Ford for it's regular 30,000 mi service. They fixed the problem for no charge, but the 30,000 mile service cost 520 and I still need to have the brakes done (270).

Old 11-19-2004, 01:27 AM
garebear
New User
dcale, yes, I reset the computer. It ran pretty rough for a day or so, now seems to run pretty good except for at start up, and the idle drops in park. About all I could think of it being would be either I connected the hoses backwards maybe, or I just got a bad replacement part. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by garebear
dcale, yes, I reset the computer. It ran pretty rough for a day or so, now seems to run pretty good except for at start up, and the idle drops in park. About all I could think of it being would be either I connected the hoses backwards maybe, or I just got a bad replacement part. Thanks for your help.
You can check the hoses, but they really only fit one way, since one of them has a smaller inside diameter than the other one, and the connections on the DPFE are a little bit different in size accordingly.

Make sure all the other vacuum hoses and connections are attached, as well, it's easy to knock off something while you're working on the engine.

What does your engine idle down to (rpms)? Does it want to stall? Where did you get the replacement DPFE from?

Old 11-19-2004, 07:40 AM
ctboyle03
Senior User
Make sure you check with Ford or Mazda about the DPFE before you pay to have it fixed. I know Mazda extended the warranty on this part. I received a notice in the mail about a month ago. It applied to b-series and tributes, and I'm assuming Ford would apply it to rangers and escapes as well but i dont know for sure

Old 11-19-2004, 12:58 PM
garebear
New User
Rockledge, got the DPFE from O'Reilly Auto Parts, $47.99, and it's actually
made of aluminum....seems others in this thread got a plastic replacement.
My truck idles at about 1,000 rpm in drive. Since I changed the DPFE, when I
put it into park it drops to about 750 rpm....it used to go up to about 2,000 rpm
when I put it in park. I can't really say it's tried to stall, but it's definitely idling so low it makes me wonder.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
1000 rpms in Drive and 750 rpms in Park is normal.

Before, when it jumped to 2K in Park, it was not functioning properly. That's too high.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light and EGR Valve